N-Europe

Nintendo Network

Dog-amoto

About time

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/121/1217360p1.html

Nintendo has finally confirmed its plans for the Nintendo Network, a formal, branded service for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. Outlining the concept in brief during an investor's program, company president Satoru Iwata confirmed the online infrastructure is already in place for the service.

Iwata quickly drew a contrast with his company's previous Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection program:

"Unlike Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, which has been focused upon specific functionalities and concepts, we are aiming to establish a platform where various services available through the network for our consumers shall be connected via Nintendo Network service so that the company can make comprehensive proposals to consumers."

The publisher's plans are as follows:

Personal Accounts for Wii U - Nintendo will now allow personalized accounts for its next home console, which will allow multiple users per system. Online profiles will no longer be system-based. "We will also be able to construct and offer the [personal account system] by combining a variety of different services and content," Iwata said.

Digitally Distributed Packaged Software -Nintendo is exploring the idea of selling full retail games through the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. The company is not willing to say when this program will start, but it now has the full ability to do so. Iwata noted Nintendo would need to consider retailer relationships first. He also noted SD card space limitations would be another factor. "The significance of this business field will increase," said Iwata.

Paid Downloadable Content - As we've heard previously, publishers will now be able to offer paid DLC for different games, starting with Square's Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, which will allow players to purchase new songs for the rhythm-based game. The title releases in Japan on February 16.

"As a software maker, Nintendo believes that its packaged software should be sold to our consumers in a form so that the consumers will know in advance that they can enjoy playing the software they purchased just as it is," Iwata said. "We believe that our consumers will be able to feel more secure if we offer our add-on content as an additional structure in which those who love the game will be able to enjoy it in a deeper way for a prolonged play time."

Iwata wrapped the Nintendo Network segment of his investor presentation with the following statement: "Whether it's our first-party titles or third parties' titles, for a number of games, we will actively attempt to achieve compatibility so that our consumers can enjoy our online services that we will deploy under the name of the Nintendo Network."

Hope this means we can create an actual account for our 3DS that's not linked to the system

Don't get your hopes up for the 3DS, yet. We don't know how far the system is build around the "per console" accounts. In the worst case Nintendo would have to modify the OS quiet a bit.

I don't think the 3DS really needs to support multiple accounts, just one.

Really they can probably just get away with updating the E-Shop on the 3DS, it already links to your Club Nintendo account (which is what I'm assuming is what they are going to use the Nintendo Network account) no need for a massive OS overhaul unless they are going to integrate it more (maybe to your Mii).

Really they can probably just get away with updating the E-Shop on the 3DS, it already links to your Club Nintendo account (which is what I'm assuming is what they are going to use the Nintendo Network account) no need for a massive OS overhaul unless they are going to integrate it more (maybe to your Mii).

What I meant was that you should have an account that you log in to for all your games and DLC like on every other system cause right now if your 3DS goes missing or gets broken you're screwed.

• 3 months later...

Really they can probably just get away with updating the E-Shop on the 3DS,Video Game Accessoire it already links to your Club Nintendo account (which is what ps3 controlsI'm assuming is what they are going to use the Nintendo Network account) no need for a massive OS overhaul unless ps3 controllerthey are going to integrate it more (maybe to your Mii).

Nintendo usually likes to keep things pretty close to its vest, so you'd expect details about the Wii U, the company's next generation console, to be pretty scant right now.

Nope. With the system's big coming out party planned during the E3 video game expo just over a month from now, we're learning plenty about what the company has in store, though far from everything.

Wow, banned already... efficient mods!

With the announcement of the digital editions of games I think that a unified account is looking more likely. As with others I wonder how they will handle multiple accounts on one system (if they don't do it for the 3DS they are going to have to do it for the Wii U).

I'm guessing it will just work like the 360 where you don't have access to content that you haven't paid for. Just as if you were using you Steam account on someone else's computer I guess.