N-Europe

Disney's Epic Mickey 2

Retro_Link

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1215601p1.html

Disney Newsletter Reveals Epic Mickey 2

Epic Mickey 2 has been announced in a Disney newsletter.

The newsletter was first spotted by Stitch Kingdom. The sequel to the Wii-exclusive original is due for release Christmas 2012 on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3and Wii.

The newsletter also revealed that the game will contain an all-new co-op mode, in which one player controls Mickey, who will once more wield his enchanted paintbrush, while the other player controls Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, who can fly a helicopter and use electricity to fight enemies and solve puzzles (as rabbits are often inclined to do).

The newsletter in full reads:

"Disney Epic Mickey 2 is the latest game in the critically acclaimed Disney Epic Mickey videogame series. In this all-new action-platforming game available for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii, Mickey embarks on an epic journey and is pulled back into a world filled with Disney's forgotten characters. Players can choose to play single-player as Mickey or for the first time players can also choose two-player split screen mode. In the two-player mode one person can play as Mickey wielding magic paint and paint thinner to dynamically change the world and the second player can play as Oswald the Lucky Rabbit - Walt Disney's first cartoon star - with the power to fly like a helicopter and use electricity to fight or friend enemies and solve challenges. Team-up and choose your path to save this forgotten world because the choices you make will alter the story and change the end of the game!"

The Wii? No, no, no... That had better be subject to change!

If a PS3/360 version is in development, the game had better be coming to the Wii U, maybe even as a launch title depending on the release date.

With how well the first game performed on Wii, the Wii U should be the lead console for the sequel, with the game then being ported to PS3/360!

Hmmm, I may just have to start my Christmas list a little earlier than usual this year...

I was hyped to read about co-op mode, though I think we should start a massive online petition to replace Oswald the Lucky Rabbit with Donald Duck. Who's with me?

Anyone?

Oh.

Yeah, I've seen this float around lately as though we didn't already know all this information months ago.

My biggest worry is that the game will be an exact mirror of the de Blob scenario:

1. Release moderately successful new game on Wii.

2. Silently crap out a multiplatform sequel.

3. Sequel fails to no-one's surprise

4. Studio is shut down

An Epic Mickey sequel seems like it would fit perfectly on Wii U, but if they're aiming for a first-half release, it makes sense to just launch it on systems that have a safe install base. Maybe we'll see a shameless port at launch. I do wonder what the lead development platform is. Hope it's Wii, because I don't want to imagine what the end product of a down-port would look like.

Yeah I have to say I agree with your prediction, of this following de Blob 2.

The market just isn't there on PS3/360, and if it leads to the Wii version being weaker, combined with pissing off the Wii owners who bought the first game, it's just a mistake!

Say's they're aiming for a Christmas 2012 release... which would make it perfect for a launch/early Wii U title, if that's around late November time.

This will probably do fine on the HD twins. The amount of people who were port begging for the original was insane.

I'm personally happy with it going multiplatform. With it being on the 360 I won't have to put up with the wonky controls that the original suffered from, unless they decide to slap on some Kinect control scheme.

*shudders*

@Hero\-of\-Time I'm happy with it going multiplatform... just not with it being on Wii and not Wii U! *cringes at name*

Mind you, if the game looks decent I could just get the PS3 version.

Did the port of the original come out 360/PS3/XBLA/PSN? There was talk of it I seem to remember.

Did the port of the original come out 360/PS3/XBLA/PSN? There was talk of it I seem to remember.

Nah. It was rumoured to be arriving on the PS3, along with Move support, but this never happened. I suppose they may decide to do this closer to the arrival of the sequel, just to drum up some more awareness of the game. They may even offer it as a bonus, like how the limited edition PS3 version of Dead Space 2 came with Dead Space: Extraction.

This will probably do fine on the HD twins. The amount of people who were port begging for the original was insane.

HAHAHAHAHA yeah...mmmhm yep :laughing: Can you remind me how much No More Heroes paradise, de blob 2 and James Bond Goldeneye Reloaded sold compared to the the originals on the Wii?

HAHAHAHAHA yeah...mmmhm yep :laughing: Can you remind me how much No More Heroes paradise, de blob 2 and James Bond Goldeneye Reloaded sold compared to the the originals on the Wii?

Not really as I don't care enough about sales enough to go running around looking for numbers. I'm a gamer and as such just enjoy games. I can pull some numbers out of my butt if that would make you feel better?

As I said earlier, a stupid amount of people were port begging for this. I don't remember threads flooded with people shouting for Goldeneye ( very average game ) or DeBlob 2 ( not a patch on the original ). The only title in your list that I can give credit to is No More Heroes. Even then the game arrived AGES after the original and it was a port and a shoddy one at that.

If this game launches on all platforms at the same time then I can't see why it wouldn't do alright on the HD twins. It's Disney with Warren Spector which has a wide appeal.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

While I largely enjoyed the first game, it tried too many things and didn't get any of them really right. The movement and jump-physics were extremely floaty and "character-less", which was unfortunate, as levels relied a lot on on jump'n'run-like traversal. Combat was unresponsive imprecise and shallow, which made the enemy encounters not much fun at all. The paint and thinner-mechanic was good for exploration, but was terribly integrated into the combat. Camera control was largely a mess, as neither the automatic camera nor the manual correction did work very well.

The things that made it enjoyable were the main story with its branches and the sometimes beautiful later levels. Music was also a good, but suffered from lack of variety imo.

Frankly, I haven't got very high hopes for this. Disney laid off a lot of people in their games department and Junction Point was said to be affected. I'm not convinced they are committed to having a sequel developed that truly addresses all the issues with the first game rather than just having another Mickey game to sell during Christmas.

That said, this is a franchise with promise and I'd like to be proven wrong. They would absolutely need to create a compelling set of core mechanics though, instead of purely relying on the story and one gimmick on top of the most uninspired and poorly implemented set of mechanics to save the day.

I'm also not buying that there won't be a WiiU port. A Wii version seems sensible, given that a (presumably) 100€ Wii with a Mickey game next Christmas could still move a lot of units. While they're trying to cover most of the home console platforms though, the omission of the WiiU seems inconsequent.

Not really as I don't care enough about sales enough to go running around looking for numbers. I'm a gamer and as such just enjoy games. I can pull some numbers out of my butt if that would make you feel better?

As I said earlier, a stupid amount of people were port begging for this. I don't remember threads flooded with people shouting for Goldeneye ( very average game ) or DeBlob 2 ( not a patch on the original ). The only title in your list that I can give credit to is No More Heroes. Even then the game arrived AGES after the original and it was a port and a shoddy one at that.

If this game launches on all platforms at the same time then I can't see why it wouldn't do alright on the HD twins. It's Disney with Warren Spector which has a wide appeal.

The point I am trying to bring is that these people who port beg are the ones who would have no interest in the game if it came over to them, if there is something they can't have, they will want it more than anything...until it does come over, to which then they will not care.

I still remember how DQIX got announced, there were more people complaining about the game going to the DS who had never even played the goddamn series. Same when Monster Hunter when it was said to be on Wii instead.

I am sure there are people on all systems will get it, but port begging to me means shit, that's all.