NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
killer kirby

Mighty Switch Force

Seriously guys, why is there no thread about this game? it's a god damn 2D sidescrolling game with the best fucking music around.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Just buy it for the music alone, these guys deserve it.

I've got my eShop card (from a supermarket, incidentally) but can't download it until January. Looking forward to it though, as Shantae was my game of 2011. Not just best DS game or best download, but best game full-stop. Doubt it can live up to that, but we'll see!

It's brilliant, but there isn't much of it.

My exact views on this game. I blitzed it all within 4 hours, par times as well.

I was talking about it in the eShop thread, didn't think to create a thread though because there isn't much to really talk about unfortunately aside from saying I fucking loved the game and the music.

Edit: Also, shame on you for not posting the best track in the game

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Edited by Debug Mode

And... got it!

Graphics, music and controls are all 10/10, as you'd probably expect from WayForward. The 3D is also very effective.

If I have one criticism (and it's not really a criticism), it's just that the puzzle action and "Par" times are too hard. I've done nine levels, but can't unlock any more at the moment. Do I need to beat the Par times, or just get better times than I've done? I don't mind being aware that my times are slower than the Par times, but if I can't unlock any more levels, then I haven't exactly had much use out of it! :heh:

But it is good, and more than anything, it makes me want WayForward to do a simple Metroid clone. I can't criticise Mighty Switch Force for being a puzzle game (it would be like criticising Tetris for not being Zelda). However, I can't help but think a better game would be one that dropped the puzzle elements and went for pure platformer. As I say, the controls are so good, it just makes me want bosses, laser upgrades, missiles etc!

Maybe we'll get that in the future! Meanwhile, I'm off to try and improve my times...

My mistake. The next level was unlocked, I just didn't realise I hadn't done that one (this may go way to explain why I find the game so hard!) My apologies to WayForward.

At the moment I'm stuck on level 14. It's a real mind-boggler.

However, I can't help but think a better game would be one that dropped the puzzle elements and went for pure platformer.

How about Commando Steel Disaster from the eshop, have you played it?

Regarding Mighty Switch Force I think I'm going to get it now. You guys have persuaded me so thanks I guess. :)

Edited by cvl
fixing link

How about Commando Steel Disaster from the eshop, have you played it?

No, hadn't heard of it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyway, I've now completed Mighty Switch Force, with the "Par" for the first five levels. More than anything, it has convinced me that all the best artists, musicians and general geniuses in the games industry are working at WayForward. They have an inherent understanding of what makes games fun, little things like how satisfying the jumping and blasting is, or when your laser ignites a bomb and blasts away a block.

I should say this is definitely a puzzle-platformer, and I think people will need to be skilled in both genres to fully enjoy it. There are three types of block to phase in and out: one standard, one to test your reflexes and one to test your mental dexterity. Anyone who is lacking those as much as me will get quite a workout just from completing it normally!

But, complete it I did and I actually have a higher opinion of it now I've done so. I was never going to love this as much as Shantae, but as a more difficult, intense game, it's very adrenaline-pumping. There is also an unlockable that makes getting the "Par" times easier and more enjoyable, although you'll still need superhuman gaming skills for the later ones.

So, perfect graphics, perfect music, perfect controls, perfect visual style... If I have one reservation, it's not with the length, it's with the difficulty. I'm glad they made it short and inexpensive, as the idea only goes so far, but as I had a couple of night's great entertainment out of it, I got my money's worth. Like all the best games, it makes you want to go back to it, just to play about and try for better times.

I don't normally do this, but...

Graphics: 10/10

Sound: 10/10

Controls: 10/10

Gameplay: 8/10

Overall: 8/10

Great post, Grazza. Unfortunately my post count is still too low to give out thanks, but here's one anyway. :)

However, I can't help but think a better game would be one that dropped the puzzle elements and went for pure platformer.

I thought it was a platformer. I felt the early trailers made it look like a Mega Man game. I was a little disappointed it was a puzzler (probably should have read up more on it before hand) at first but it's still a good game.

I thought it was a platformer. I felt the early trailers made it look like a Mega Man game. I was a little disappointed it was a puzzler (probably should have read up more on it before hand) at first but it's still a good game.

I was under the same impression when it first got shown. Once I found out there was a puzzle element my interest kinda plummeted.

Bumping for AWESOME FREE DLC BONUS STAGES AND REMASTERED 3D GOODNESS.

Already stuck on the second bonus stage heh. My usual technique of just being rash and ignoring the damage isn't going to work so well this time round for getting par times..

After hearing the music I am compelled to buy this game.

Yes indeed. To me, Jake Kaufman is one of the modern geniuses of gaming. Shantae: Risky's Revenge and Mighty Switch Force sound brilliant through headphones.

Anyway, as Debug Mode says, 5 more levels of top class gaming became available today! Bonus Stage 1 is full of difficult jumps, Bonus Stage 2 (my favourite so far) is full of the best type of block and Bonus Stage 3 is full of my least favourite switches. At the moment I'm stuck on Bonus Stage 3, but it's great to jump into my favourite eShop game again and hear that music.

Thank you very much WayForward!

I downloaded this a couple of nights ago and have been really enjoying it.

It's a good example of what a handheld can offer. Really good price too!

Not played loads of it, but what I have I've loved!

Yeah I went through the eShop the other day and found they have a bunch of 3D trailers for the majority of games on there now. I was really impressed with the 3D in this.

Has anyone done Bonus Stage 5 yet? I can catch all the Hooligan Sisters, but there's a difficult section after that. It really is split-second stuff. To give an idea of how hard this game is (or how bad I am), I took over 17 minutes to complete the very confusing Bonus Stage 4. The Par time is 2.30.00. :heh:

Good job it's got such good music!

EDIT - OK, completed! Did it immediately after typing that I couldn't! I was one or two blocks away from the end. As it stands I have the "Par" for Incidents 1-12 and Bonus 2. Don't think I'll try to get the others, as I'm just not that good a gamer. I do keep replaying them anyway, however, as it's such a good game.

This stage is timed to a metronome (like certain stages in Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2). It's extremely difficult, but I did it by using headphones and turning the stereoscopic 3D on. Both seemed to help quite a bit.

Edited by Grazza

To download te update you need room to download the whole game. And it's massive. I didn't have enough so I deleted the gane and redownloaded it, and it deleted my save file - I thought they were seperate?!? Dammit. I starred every level too!! I'll have to go through it again to play the new levels. Glad it's tiny now!!

BUMP

So, I decided to get back into Mighty Switch Force. I heard about this, as an upcoming game, from the much-missed @darksnowman. Though I didn't know exactly what it was, it was made by WayForward, so when it was released in December 2011 I gave it a try.

What I found was an excellent yet difficult game that demanded its players have platform skills as well as puzzle-solving abilities. Whilst I could set the credits rolling, the "Par" times seemed off-limits to me. I remember when the Wii U version was released, @RedShell showed me the title screen you get for achieving the Par times (I think @dazzybee can get them too?) As much as I wanted to get them, I believed I hadn't the skill.

For some reason, I went back to it. And yes, more than three years later, I got them!

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Really smashed some of them too!

Maybe it's strange, but I'm actually ecstatic at achieving this, and now rate Mighty Switch Force higher than I have before. To play it requires jumping skills, reflexes, puzzle-solving abilities - it's the ultimate hardcore game! This piece of software felt like WayForward creating something very special for the platform, with the soundtrack one of Jake Kaufman's true 10/10s (they're always good, but really, this is amazing).

At the moment I have a penchant for simpler, reflex-based games, and have become less enamoured with adventure and RPG. WayForward's games fit the bill just right for me - they're a treat for the ears and eyes, with the best controls and gameplay anywhere.

Now, onto the eight Par times I'm missing on Mighty Switch Force 2...

Sign in to follow this