NEurope
Hamishmash

Black Mirror

Surprised nobody has commented on the latest episode. Thought it was fantastic, considering how the presence of facebok timeline and everyone having hd video on their phones. Loved it.

Yeah they used the word "timeline" which is incredible because I'm sure they wrote the script well before Facebook started using that term. It's horrible idea... and it seems to be designed for people who have had a perfect life with no regrets at all. I hate how easy it is for my friends to access like... my statuses from 2007. It's just weird... you have to live your life these days in the knowledge that everything you do can be brought back to haunt you.

The scene of them having sex, with their eyes blanked out as they remembered better shags, was really creepy.

Do you think a Series 2 is likely? This series must get some awards...

Yeah they used the word "timeline" which is incredible because I'm sure they wrote the script well before Facebook started using that term. It's horrible idea... and it seems to be designed for people who have had a perfect life with no regrets at all. I hate how easy it is for my friends to access like... my statuses from 2007. It's just weird... you have to live your life these days in the knowledge that everything you do can be brought back to haunt you.

The scene of them having sex, with their eyes blanked out as they remembered better shags, was really creepy.

Do you think a Series 2 is likely? This series must get some awards...

I hope so! Had a quick google, 'Charlie Brooker's new satire Black Mirror was Channel 4's biggest drama launch of the year with a total audience of almost 1.9 million viewers.'. Then again Sirens was cancelled despite doing well so who knows.

I'm thinking it probably cost quite alot to make, second episode in particular, especially with all the CG, then pretty big casts.

I really liked the third one too, especially the focus on a relationship within a world where this is possible, rather than focusing on the technology itself. Sort of.

I enjoyed this whole miniseries, and think there's definitely scope for more.

It's just weird... you have to live your life these days in the knowledge that everything you do can be brought back to haunt you.

You could just not sign up to things like Facebook.

It's really easy... you just... don't.

Then again Sirens was cancelled despite doing well so who knows.

Ahhhh fuck!

Really?

That show was awesome!

You could just not sign up to things like Facebook.

It's really easy... you just... don't.

I'm fully aware of this. But especially at university when people get put in groups and they say "Alright well we'll just talk about it on Facebook" or something, or the fact that people don't actually seem to talk about upcoming parties, they just invite you to an event... it's annoying. I have suspended my account before, but nobody ever tries to contact you about parties or events. You just don't matter to them anymore, if you're not their "facebook friend".

Yeah... I know how that is.

I froze my account over a year ago while on placement.

Now being back in final year I'm really not "in the loop" so to speak about much.

But that's ok.

Fuck 'em right?

They cancelled Sirens?!!!! :(

Last Black Mirror was the.best imo.

Charlie Brooker year wipe on BBC4 sometime next week fyi.

I dunno really know what that means... but I hope we get to have sex at the end of it.

I dunno really know what that means... but I hope we get to have sex at the end of it.

tumblr_lgje59YPLa1qb7ikeo1_400.gif

Well that last episode was certainly not Christmas viewing!

Despite it being quite depressing it was clearly well written and acted and was tugging at my heartstrings. It actually had me relating to the hurtful feeling of being cheated on which is quite something, I felt pretty uncomfortable from the middle part onwards. It's actually a pretty believable storyline given being cheated on is about the worst experience I've personally felt in my life.

Clearly Brooker should be given a big bag of a money to do more like this, he's clearly got a knack not just for sarcy put-downs but producing great miniseries too.

Charlie Brooker year wipe on BBC4 sometime next week fyi.

Tonight at 10:30.

I just watched the second and third, and apart from the last one (which isn't a bad idea but has many disadvantages) the first two were just incredibly uncomfortable viewing.

In a good way?

Nope. The awkwardness of the PM shagging a pig and the amusement of seeing fat people hosed down and force-fed creamy products didn't seem all that entertaining.

I did wonder with the second episode though, once the people were designated too fat to pedal and made to clean/be humilated on TV, do they get a chance to "reform" themselves?

I didn't find those things entertaining either.

It was very good though.

And I'm not sure.

Maybe.

It's a great world that I have so many questions about.

Nope. The awkwardness of the PM shagging a pig and the amusement of seeing fat people hosed down and force-fed creamy products didn't seem all that entertaining.

I did wonder with the second episode though, once the people were designated too fat to pedal and made to clean/be humilated on TV, do they get a chance to "reform" themselves?

That was part of the point, I think. The first episode was about the PM trying to appeal to the masses, and the masses said "lol do it idk," then the masses were all "... er... ew..." when it actually happened.

The public don't know what they want, is perhaps one sentiment, but also that the public are rather blood thirsty and do not sympathise with the PM on a human level, until it actually happens and they realise that it's entirely inhumane to see a man fuck a pig, and the public opinion a year later may've been to do with regret/guilt.

I don't think I've explained it very well at all, but in no ways was it meant to be 'entertaining' - it was purposefully made to be excruciating to watch in order to add weight to the episode's hypothesis of detachment, anonymity and the farcical catch-22 situation as a whole... yeah. Too asleep. But yeah, it was good at getting one thinking. If one can think. Going in thinking it'd be a comedy was the wrong thing to do.