NEurope
david.dakota

RUMOUR: Silicon Knights - 75% of the workforce axed?

Not sure where this should go, but since Nintendo owners do still have some love for Silicon Knights, I thought i'd drop it here.

Various outlets are reporting some huge layoffs at Silicon Knights. 75% of the workforce is said to have been cut, leaving a core staff of 25. This comes after Silicon Knights were awarded a grant between 3-4million Canadian dollars to increase the workforce from 100 to 180 people (something that Denis Dyack has supposedly said will not happen until current game X-Men Destiny has sold 1million copies at full price - good luck with that, Denis.).

First reports seem to have been made to 1Up.com with an original source suggesting all the way back in July that things were not good over at SK. Late October 1UP received further comments suggesting layoffs had taken place, which include Dyacks wife, Joanne (Director of Human Resources).

There has been no confirmation from Silicon Knights and Dyack has been unavailable to comment, despite promised to do so.

*edit* currency conversion repaired

Edited by david.dakota

This is what happens when you don't make a good game in nearly a decade. :blank:

This comes after Silicon Knights were awarded a grant between 3-4 Canadian dollars to increase the workforce from 100 to 180 people

Oh, Canada.

I'm not hugely surprised. Running a high risk business strategy based on a hugely optimistic belief that their games will sell in the multiple millions. Some bad decisions being made at the top I feel.

This is a terrible shame. But, you have to wonder what goes on over there...since 2002, they have created Eternal Darkness, Twin Snakes, Too Human and this new X-Men Destiny (know nothing about this).

That's 4 games in nearly 10 years. Twin Snakes was 2004, Too Human was 2008. What went on in those 4 years? It's crazy really.

They clearly had talent, as Eternal Darkness is probably my favourite all time game. I can't help but feel that since then, they've never reached the same great heights as that. I find that sad.

Confirmed: Silicon Knights laid offs, working on requested sequel

Massive layoffs hit Too Human and X-Men: Destiny developer Silicon Knights last week, cutting the Canadian developer nearly in half after an unnamed publisher pulled out on a project the team was working on, the company told Kotaku.

That unnamed project is still under development, the developer said.

"Last week Silicon Knights experienced layoffs due to extended contract negotiations falling through with a potential partner," the developer told Kotaku. "We are currently in discussions with other potential partners. The recent Ontario government funding is tied to future performance targets, spread out over the next 5 years, which we will meet."

Silicon Knights declined to say who the partner was, but said it wasn't Activision, who they worked with on their last game.

Earlier this week, 1Up wrote that 75 people had been let go from the company. Silicon Knights tells Kotaku that they laid off 43 employees, or just under half of its work force.

Silicon Knights has received about $8 million in government funding. Some of that money was used to build the company's staff up to nearly 100 people. The developer says they are already refocusing their energy on returning to their roots.

"The company is currently refocusing and returning to its roots, working on one of its most requested titles for the next generation," the spokesperson said.

Silicon Knights, is perhaps best known for 2002's Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. In 2008 the developer released Too Human for the Xbox 360 to a mediocre reception. Its last game, X-Men: Destiny, which hit earlier this year, was poorly received.

As recently as early last year, the company had been talking privately about continuing their work on a sequel to Too Human, a game meant to kick off a trilogy.

"The company is currently refocusing and returning to its roots, working on one of its most requested titles for the next generation," the spokesperson said.
Eternal Darkness sequel?

Do Microsoft own Silcon Knights now?

Otherwise I'm sure they'd look at making a return to Nintendo on Wii U, and I'm sure the U-mote and it's screen could have plenty of additional potential for such a game!

Nintendo apparently still own stock in SK, according to the ever-reliable Wikipedia. SKs entry has seen updates since leaving the fold but the Nintendo reference has remained.

Seriously... if they are really returning to their roots like they say then this has to be Eternal Darkness 2 and it will more than likely be on Wii U, for them Too Human was something of a mis-step as even though it had a solid enough concept the way it was executed was surprisingly sloppy for a game that had supposedly had more than enough development time and as for the X-Men game... well... it clearly shows that they had lost their way - and all profitability- just wanting to recoup some of the cash that TH had lost them.

It would be a complete waste of time for them to continue to persue the supposed Too Human trilogy, they would be the sequels that no one really wanted in the first place; if they are working on ED2 then this can only be good news but what frustrates me is that they could have been working on it all this time instead of wasting precious money and resources. ::shrug:

The optimist in me sees the layoffs as having a Nintendo flavour to them: stepping in to lock that shit down, cut the excess crap and start over in order for them to actually do some good with their IP (Eternal Darkness). Retro Studios v.2 BELIEVE

An Eternal Darkness 2 would be great, especially on Wii U. Silicon Knights would also have to work with Nintendo again as I believe they own the patent for the sanity system.

The optimist in me sees the layoffs as having a Nintendo flavour to them: stepping in to lock that shit down, cut the excess crap and start over in order for them to actually do some good with their IP (Eternal Darkness). Retro Studios v.2 BELIEVE
I hope that's the case because I'd wonder if the company as it was would even be capable of delivering a sequel anymore, given how much they seem to have lost their way.

If anyone can streamline and get them back on track with a new project its Nintendo. Remember when Nintendo bought out Retro they made them can two projects so they could focus on Metroid Prime. Wii U could do with a more mature exclusive, so I really hope Nintendo have approached SK and made them an offer.

What we want: Eternal Darkness 2.

What we'll probably get: Some kind of Too Human sequel or spin-off that nobody wants or cares about.

I hope to God what we're thinking in this thread turns out to be true, and Nintendo have intervened.

What we'll probably get: Some kind of Too Human sequel or spin-off that nobody wants or cares about.

Dammit I still want more Too Human.

Care bears care.