NEurope
MoogleViper

quick gfx card help

Gtx 460 for 55 quid, hd 5770 for 90, or hd 5850 for 130. Any of them worth it?

Sorry the 5850 is 90 quid.

The 5850 is certainly worth it. The 460 is a steal at that price as well, the 5770 however isn't as powerful as either.

5770 a good low-range card I guess, I have one but I didn't pay much more than that a year ago. Has served me well though and plays everything I throw at it at top settings.

5850 has been £80 in Currys according to hukd.

Moving this to tech... you don't get to bend the rules just because you want a quick response ;)

Edited by Shorty

I went ahead and bought the GTX460 SE for £50. Will it be a good enough card? (I'm thinking Deus Ex, BF3 etc.)

I can take it back if not.

Moving this to tech... you don't get to bend the rules just because you want a quick response ;)

But I was in the shop on my mobile. :grin:

Oh...its an SE.

It'll still be good, but the SE is a little limited compared to the original.

Check out hardocp.com for a performance evaluation of Deus Ex.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/09/12/deus_ex_human_revolution_gameplay_performance_review/2

They have the 560 ti and 6870 which are better versions of the 460 and 5770. However the 68 series performs closer/better than the 5800 series.

Edited by Nolan

I've been looking for a graphics card recently. I certainly don't want to spend more than £100 (preferably quite a bit less than that if I can, maybe aorund the £80 mark). Looking around I've seen a HD 5830 (ex-display) for £61. Is it worth it? Any better cards for the price? Will any cards be coming down in price before/very shortly after christmas?

I don't know a lot about them, but apparently the second digit is a defining feature in the naming so 8 is pretty good? What's a 5830 at normal retail?

One thing you should always have in mind is the type of RAM it uses. Sometimes, it can be worth getting a graphic card with a lower model number which has GDDR5 RAM, which will generally result in a larger performance boost when gaming than, say, a higher up model that uses DDR3 or GDDR2 RAM. Here's the same graphic card that I use on Play.com, it only costs £89.99 with free delivery, in my experience you can run most games on full settings on it, including new games (Just Cause 2 runs like a charm on it with everything at tops)

They're not that great. If you can spare an extra £20, you can go up to a 1GB non-SE (This is very important) GTX 460, which is a great card in that price range, and outperforms the HD 5830 by quite a bit.

The 5830 is adequate, but like emasher says the non-SE version of the GTX 460 is a top quality purchase. The performance between the two is close, but the 460 is better, the only caveat is that at least in the US it's hard to find, and it's even harder to find a non SE version.

Well excuse me, last I checked (admittedly a while ago) SE versions outnumbered normal 460's while now I don't see any SE cards.

How does that make 460 1GBs hard to find though? There might not be as many SKUs for sale, but there are still plenty of the actual cards.

The only cards from reliable manufacturers on that list are the EVGA 460 1GB (Don't buy this if its the SE version, I don't think it is though), and the Gigabyte 550 TI. The 460 1GB is a better card overall compared to the 550 TI, so go with the EVGA 460.

I recommend if you're going to make lists like this you post links to the store pages so we can tell exactly what it is without searching.

Okay, so that card isn't the SE version, so definitely go with the EVGA 460.

Now, one other thing I will mention is that the 6850 has a slight edge (a few FPS) over the 460 on average, but I wouldn't buy anything from PowerColor. If you can find a 6850 from a better manufacturer, that might be an option as well. Mind you, it usually isn't going to be a notable difference, and there are situations where the 460 can still perform better. Maybe consider the features of Nvidia cards VS AMD cards if you can find a decent 6850 for around the same price.

Edited by Emasher

They're a low end manufacturer. Don't expect it to last that long, and make sure your case is well cooled, but for that price, you really can't go wrong.