Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

Mr_Odwin

DC Comics To Cancel OMAC, Men Of War, Mister Terrific, Hawk And Dove, Blackhawks and Static Shock

As part of the six new May books being announced today, DC Comics has also announced six cancellations, all ending on their eighth issues. Men Of War, Mister Terrific, O.M.A.C., Hawk And Dove, Blackhawks and Static Shock.

While none of the titles have performed in a stellar fashion, Hawk And Dove was doing better than a number of others, and the original writer Sterling Gates had left the book over a new editorial direction, with Rob Liefeld taking over. One wonders how long that editorial direction was planned for. Liefeld does have a number of projects lined up though, I understand, including Deathstroke.

O.M.A.C was co-written by co-publisher Dan DiDio, and as I pointed out earlier, there would have been allegations of favouritism if this book had survived a cull, even though sales of the book had been relatively improving.

Men Of War was one of my favourite books though Ivan Brandon walking off the book with the sixth issue didn’t inspire me with confidence. At least he can say he walked and wasn’t pushed. Blackhawks was another, and was probably the closest thing I could find to the writing of Warren Ellis in the e 52.

It is notable that two of the books, Mister Terrific and Static Shock featuired a single male black lead, leaving Batwing. A modicum of self recognition is superhero titles is sometimes necessary, and it is a shame that this has been denied many now. But sales on both these titles were rather low, comparatively. Although they both will have sold tens of thousands more copies than they would have done without a DC Relaunch.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/12/dc-comics-cancel-omac-men-of-war-mister-terrific-hawk-dove-blackhawks-static-shock/

don't think there's any real suprises there, then there's the six books replacing them in the 52

article here

Thursday, January 12th, 2012

By Josh Kushins

In May of 2012, DC Comics will release a “Second Wave” of titles as part of its historic DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 initiative. Six new, ongoing series will build on the shared universe and bold concepts introduced in September 2011 with the renumbering of DC Comics’ entire line of comic books.

Featuring a variety of different genres and storytelling sensibilities, the titles in the “Second Wave” will be helmed by some of the most legendary writers and artists in the comic book industry, and will also feature the first ongoing comic book series written by acclaimed novelist China Miéville.

“The excitement of the initial launch of DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 was in seeing the re-imagining of these classic characters and concepts,” said Bob Harras, DC Entertainment Editor-in-Chief. “The ‘Second Wave’ is all about world-building.”

DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 “Second Wave” includes:

BATMAN INCORPORATED – Writer: Grant Morrison. Artist: Chris Burnham. The acclaimed ongoing writer of ACTION COMICS, Grant Morrison, presents a fresh take on BATMAN INCORPORATED, in which the Batman brand is franchised globally in preparation for a major international threat.

EARTH 2 – Writer: James Robinson. Artist: Nicola Scott. The greatest heroes on a parallel Earth, the Justice Society combats threats that will set them on a collision course with other worlds.

WORLDS’ FINEST – Writer: Paul Levitz. Artists: George Perez and Kevin Maguire. Stranded on our world from a parallel reality, Huntress and Power Girl struggle to find their way back to Earth 2. Perez and Maguire will be the artists on alternating story arcs.

DIAL H РWriter: China Mi̩ville. Artist: Mateus Santoluoco. The first ongoing series from acclaimed novelist China Mi̩ville, this is a bold new take on a cult classic concept about the psychological effects on an everyman who accidentally gains powers to become a hero.

G.I. COMBAT – Writer: J.T. Krul. Artist: Ariel Olivetti. Featuring the return of a classic DC Comics series, THE WAR THAT TIME FORGOT, along with rotating back-up stories and creative teams – including THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER, with writers Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti and artist Dan Panosian; and THE HAUNTED TANK, with writer John Arcudi and artist Scott Kolins.

THE RAVAGERS – Writer: Howard Mackie. Artist: Ian Churchill. Spinning off from TEEN TITANS and SUPERBOY, this series finds four superpowered teens on the run and fighting against the organization that wants to turn them into supervillains.

I totes bought that Batman Incorporated intel here!

TBH though, there needed to be another Batman comic, so thats good.

Yup, the world needs more Batman books!

Oh and I concur with @ReZourceman, the last panel of Invincible was :o

had loads of good reads this week Batwoman, Deadpool, Ultimate Xmen, The Shade, Amazing Spider-Man, Severed, The Unwritten

WTF DC!

Rob Liefield to write/draw 3 DC new 52 titles!

Rob Liefeld will have more of a presence in DC's "The New 52" than ever, joining the creative team of three ongoing series in May. Liefeld will be plotting both The Savage Hawkman and Grifter, as well as writing and illustrating Deathstroke, replacing previous series writer Kyle Higgins and artist Joe Bennett. How this affects the existing Hawkman writing team of Tony Daniel & James Bonny and Grifter writer Nathan Edmondson is currently unclear. Liefeld joins all three series as of their ninth issues.

The news comes just one day after the announcement that Hawk and Dove, The New 52 title that Liefeld had been illustrating and (as of issue #6) writing, was ending with April's issue #8.

"Rob’s always been seen as edgy, both within the comic book industry and by his fans," DC executive editor Eddie Berganza said in the publisher's press release. "That’s a great vibe to bring to these particular books. We really want to push boundaries, and Rob’s the guy to do it.”

On The Source, Liefeld spoke of his upcoming plans for the series, revealing that Deathstroke will be taking on Lobo and that Hawkman will learn more about the Nth metal, plus teasing an appearance from fellow former Wildstorm character Deathblow in Grifter.

Keep reading Newsarama for more on the latest developments in DC's The New 52.

DC new logo:

dc1.jpg?d9c344

At the end of last year, Bleeding Cool told you that DC Comics and DC Entertainment would be getting a new logo.

The relatively recent DC Spin/DC Swoosh designed by Josh Beatman of Brainchild Studio from 2005, which itself replaced the DC Bullet designed by Milton Glazer from 1976.

Well, this symbol has now been submitted for trademark protection. It is meant to be the letter D flipping back to show the letter C. It looks like it may just be a new logo for DC Comics. There’s no colour, because no colour is being applied for trademark. So it could be any and every colour.

It looks like it’s been registered for all sorts of products from comics to T-shirts to table cloths to vegetable juice. It could be for the whole of DC, it could be for just a section.

I also don’t know what this new logo is called . Maybe the DC Peel? The DC Flip? Do you have any suggestions?

When the 2005 logo was unveiled, it was universally panned. Now it seems to be rather liked, especially since its appearance at the beginning of a number of movies and TV shows has given it a little animation and familiarity.

So look forward to people declaring undying love for the old logo and an utter rejection of the new. It’s the way these things go.

And I bet I can guess at the way it will animate on screen. But it may also work well as an interactive logo on a touch screen too.”Unpeel here perhaps”. Nevertheless, let the hating begin…

Tonight I might swing by my local library and pick up my membership card. They have a huge graphic novel collection that's available nationally (you just order them in, up to 7-9 at a time from whichever library they happen to be in.)

It's a great alternative to piracy. Personally I'm increasingly aware that freeloading is just a really negative thing to do. Yes, it opens up new books you couldn't otherwise afford but in the process you definitely loose some of the magic of really sitting to enjoy the books. And that's not without going in to the issue of depriving creators of sales that could make or break a book's success.

So I'll be moving in to more legit waters ASAP. Definitely looking in to buying more trades, too. I mean, Invincible is my favourite book but somehow I don't own more than half the series. That's pretty poor.

DC New Logo:

QfILx.jpg

14_h4uml2utzcy9u2pbt34.jpg

The “DC” logo reads as a “D”-shaped page that pulls back to reveal a “C” that could either be an obvious letter or infused with elements of a property or character. Digital devices (computers, tablets, smartphones, touch-screen displays, gaming consoles) will enable users to peel back the “D” to expose a character, image, or story. The “C” can be customized to the colors and qualities of the property it’s promoting: silver and gray for the corporation, blue for DC Comics, or--as suggested by the graphic below--sparks for The Flash, green for Green Lantern, or a mist for Batman. All are unified by a common font--the serendipitously named Gotham Bold.

The logo’s adaptability will facilitate a fresh and innovative way to reflect ongoing corporate and creative initiatives. “The peel element can tie back to the storytelling content or character we’re showcasing, and leverage those colors,“ says Desai. "The 'C’ can be a vessel to showcase stories and character. It’s unexpected, requires a little thnking and some storytelling behind that mark.”

Batman #5 is absolutely stunning. The best issue yet.

yeah Snyder is probably my favourite new writer, his creator owned stuff is pretty good as well.

Batman #5 was just so well executed

the descent into madness was great and having to turn the book around to keep reading was great

:)

Anyone else thinking about going to the London Super Comic Convention in Feb? Stan Lee has been confirmed and apparently will be signing things for free.

I feel like I should go and get something signed. One of those times where it feels like it could be my only chance. I think this is his first time at a UK con in 30 or 40 years.

Cant wait to read Severed when ita

S out in trade.

Rob Liefeld is a cunt

Severed is really good, first proper horror comic I've read, the art works perfectly with the story.

and I don't think you can just blame Liefeld for The Infinite, Kirkman is clearly at fault as well

Severed is really good, first proper horror comic I've read, the art works perfectly with the story.

and I don't think you can just blame Liefeld for The Infinite, Kirkman is clearly at fault as well

I disagree.

Have you seen the pictures?

I mean, the artwork is BETTER than Liefeld on his own. Seriously its light years ahead of the skill that Liefeld has, however for Kirkman - that wasn't what he wanted. It was Kirkman's dream to work with Liefeld, and with Liefelds pencils just being slightly glorified layouts (not even glorified to be honest), I can perfectly understand why Kirkman wanted something else.

I think it SHOULD have been released anyway, but at the end of the day its Kirkman's vision, and if he envisioned it one way, and the new artwork breaches that vision, then I respect Kirkman's opinion that he doesn't want that out therre.

bah I'm so annoyed with myself

Sean Phillips was at my lcs today doing a signing of Fatale #1 and sketches inside his other graphic novels and idiot that I am forgot to take my books with me this morning when I left the house.

so pissed off at myself :(