N-Europe

Arrietty (Kari-gurashi no Arietti)

Sméagol

So yeah, the new (for us) Ghibli.

Saw it last wednesday, but hadn’t spent much online since, so didn’t want to open a thread yet, but now I’m ready ;). Ghibli is always quality (even when it slightly disappoints like tales of Earthsea), so I’d rather open a thread for it than post this in the general movie thread.

Personally, I (& my brother) loved it. The typical Ghibli charm is all over it. The 2D animation is lovely (well, there are a few noticeable 3D elements, but they didn’t bother me in this film). It has the sense of scale like you get in Chibi Robo for example, but unlike Chibi, it has a great sense of adventure. I also really loved the music, it was great, except for the English sung themesong.

What set this apart from the last few Ghiblis, for me at least, was that this had a nice linear story, which is nice for a change. Take Ponyo for example.. It’s cute, and a lot happens, but there isn’t much story to speak of (that makes sense, but maybe I’m remembering it wrong). I guess I think it’s simply too “whimsicalâ€. I loved Ponyo, but like I said, it’s nice to have a simple story for a change.

Anyway, if you like anime, then go see it if you have the chance. If you’re a Ghibli fan, well, then you’ve already seen it probably.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally saw this yesterday. Wanted to see it at the Barbican early last month when they were showing it but I was away in the Midlands but finaaally seen it.

I enjoyed it. It didn't end how I expected and I kept trying to second guess what would happen next but enjoyable. More humour than I was anticipating really, although I'm not sure why I anticipated none :p

Saw it in Japanese (Cineworld and Curzon are showing it) but wouldn't mind seeing it with the (American) English cast at some point though. I assume Will Arnett and Amy Pohler are playing the married couple and they're awesome.