N-Europe

Pin's Voyage

Hamishmash

PIN'S VOYAGE

Recently I've been coming up with ideas for a Zelda game where you play as Zelda. After talking to a friend and my brother about my ideas they said it would actually be quite possible to make a game like this in flash.

So now... we're beginning to work on an actual flash rpg-adventure! We'll be learning about making flash games as we go and we know we're being quite ambitious but it'll be a fun side project and I love distractions like this.

I dunno how much this page will be updated but I'm sure some of you may be interested.

We ditched the idea of making it "zelda" as we'd prefer to use original characters, but it'll feel very familiar to fans of the Gameboy Zelda games. We want it to feel quite retro, without using sprites.

PLOT

The World of Hellas is a great sea covered in island kingdoms. On the largest, Empire Island, in the middle of Empire City is Mt. Olympus, home to the Olympians.

Legend says that they once ruled Hellas, and created people. But soon people became too strong and started to fight their god-like rulers. The Olympians retreated to their mountain where they could watch their disobedient creations in secret.

However, fearing that the people might one day try to invade Mt. Olympus, the Olympians sent down their baby children to be raised as humans in the hopes that in that dark day in the future when the invasion happens, these half-gods could help guide humanity to peace.

These Children of the Gods did not know of their heritage, and it was quite easy for them to blend into humanity... except for one. Her name was Pin, daughter of Pan. Like her father, she had inherited his hooves and horns.

The baby girl was placed into the care of the Emperor of Empire Island. There she was raised as a princess, with the Emperor's oracle sneaking into her room every night in order to magic her feet back to normal.

But that dark day when humans tire of being ruled by gods has come. Dark ships from the East, captained by the mysterious Captain Valicity begin to bomb Empire Island and Princess Pin is locked in the tower for safety. Unfortunately, she is kidnapped by the crew of these dark ships and taken to Faraway Island. But this is one princess that doesn't need saving. When she wakes up in their prison she discovers her hooves... what could these be???

She steals a ship and sails to the nearest island... Meadow Island... home to the worshipers of Pan... and the place where she will find out her true purpose.

SORRY for the long winded explanation... that's like the first part of the game. But basically, you sail around these islands looking for the Children of the Gods in order to retake Empire Island and stop the invasion of Olympus.

It's like Wind Waker meets Okami-but-with-Greek-mythology.

Anyway, enough of this twaddle here's some drawings.

Pin Original Art

tumblr_lnq7cleYZc1qkg0q1o1_500.jpg

Pin (IN GAME)

tumblr_lnvvbpjHh01qkg0q1o1_500.png

Thanks. :)

I'll be working on the plot and the artwork, while my friend is helping make the game mechanics. But I'm going to help along with that as well because I wanted to learn how it all works.

The game will be a lot like Link's Awakening / Minish Cap kinda thing. We just wanted to not get any copyrighted issues raised.

There will be 8 dungeons though, each giving you a new item, and with it's own boss and Child of the Gods.

We're being INCREDIBLY loose with Greek Mythology and will probably offend every scholar going but the Gods which are included are Pan, Zeus, Poseidon, Aphrodite, Ares, Apollo, Hermes and Pluto.

pin__s_tools_by_spune-d3l5sn3.jpg

Edited by Hamishmash
Automerged Doublepost

Making games and flash? Not actually read anything in this thread but try linking Marcamillian here. He's no pro, but he's trying to learn flash atm iirc and something like this might be good to spur him on.

Making games and flash? Not actually read anything in this thread but try linking Marcamillian here. He's no pro, but he's trying to learn flash atm iirc and something like this might be good to spur him on.

I'll let him know soon enough. :)

I study Ancient Greek, but I love takes on it, even if it messes up the mythology. :heh: I do love it when people get it right though. ;)

(Pretty please with sugar on top, do you think you could stick to either the Greek or the Roman names for the gods? Just that would make me a happy chappy! :D)

The game is firmly set in a fantasy world BASED on Greece and Greek myths. We're trying to avoid Roman-versions of stuff. But yeah... this is a total bastardisation.

One of the main elements though is we'll be telling the OTHER side of the myths, or the characters in myths we don't often hear about such as Pan's daughter Pin, and Heracles' cowardly brother Herman.

• 1 month later...

So it's actually happening now.

It'll be a Flash game but with a save feature and probably be imbedded into its own site with an attached sort of... guide / wiki and possibly a small forum where you can register and show your progress.

So far i'm in charge of it, being main artist and director / script writer, while Rodrigo Neira is coding it all. David Buchanan will be writing the original score and Pin will be voiced by Katie Coleman.

Here is Pin walking towards the camera.

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1312911981

The game will be a homage to retro adventure gaming, mainly the 2D-Zeldas but it has elements of other games too including sailing sections in the style of R-Type.

Click this link to see some of the new characters.

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1313165511

They are PAN (Pin's father and a secondary God, not allowed within Mt. Olympus due to his mischief. He helps you on your quest and gives you the Pipes of Pan, a magical artifact which helps you teleport on the breeze), HERACLES (the legendary hero son of Zeus... but he's a lot more cowardly than his title suggests. In fact, none of his legends are true. You help him overcome his hang ups) and VAVERA (the "villain" of the game and daughter of Hades. She is trying to invade Mt. Olympus by gathering the children of the Gods... but is she really that evil?)

What do you think of their designs?

Hmm. For me it was pretty instant. But I can't find a better Swf hosting site...

I get what you mean about Pin but then Link's design in Wind Waker was kinda simple... She'll look more interesting when she has a Sword and Shield I think though. :)

And a still image version for people who can't be bothered to click the link or, if like Magnus, it wasn't really working.

tumblr_lptt3cc2lz1qaczz9o1_500.png

LOL. Well I tried to give there a link between the God and the Child of them.

If you're interested the temples/dungeons in the game are called -

1. The Overgrown Labyrinth
  2. The Summet Ruins
  3. The Sunken City
  4. The Golden Temple
  5. The Impossible Fortress
  6. The Sun Pyramid
  7. The Castle of Heaven
  8. Empire Palace

All the Gods you'll meet.

tumblr_lqi9v4xjKD1qkg0q1o1_500.jpg

To see better resolution and for moving - http://spune.deviantart.com/art/The-Olympians-255001623

The Earth Dwelling Gods will be the ones which actually join you on your quest. They'll be part of the Peganauts... as in part of your crew on the ship known as the Pegasus.

The Olympians are the ones "trapped" in Olympia who you have to find the children of in order to climb the mountain. They each hand you down one of their Artifacts. In the file I've posted each one is carrying it.