N-Europe

Whedonverse

Happenstance

As I mentioned in the Movies thread I watched the Serenity blu ray yesterday and it seems to have once again ignited my love for all things Whedon. Ive started watching Firefly through again and just finished watching the season 5 finale of Buffy on SyFy.

As I know there are quite a few other members on here that love this stuff as well I thought id try and get some conversation going, especially since its been a while since we last did.

For starters, what do you guys think of the new Buffy movie thats gonna be made without Whedon? For me its way too soon and just not needed. I wont be going to see it. Also it says a lot when its been condemned by pretty much everyone involved with the show. (Only person not working on it ive read praise it was Kirsty Swanson)

Can't really comment on buffy as I know nothing about it (the new film). But Whedon's Buffy is so dominant (not the word I want but will do) that anyone else attempting to do Buffy will just get it wrong imo. Even if it's a good film it will just feel wrong.

Joss Whedon is awesome. Firefly is astounding, Serenity too, Buffy is fantastic... doll house is meh. I haven't seen all of them but those I did see did not impress me too much. There was a series called Drive that only got about 3 or 4 episodes but I really liked it. Nathan fillion ftw of course.

I do love that Castle keeps adding little nods to Firefly as well.

What about Angel, like that? I was reluctant at firs to enjoy it as I never really liked the character on Buffy but once I got into it I loved it. Probably my favourite out of all Joss Whedon's shows.

Well, first reaction:

“Buffy movie??? What? No! No Whedon == no Buffy.â€

But I guess it depends on what they're going to do. If it's a direct continuation of the series (and comics I guess, but I'm not familiar with those), I won't like it, and I doubt they'll get most of the old cast onboard. If it's a continuation of the old movie, I don't oppose it, but it's not likely to happen (or likely to succeed if it does). The best chance they have is with, well, a reboot. Complete new characters in the same universe from the series. Perhaps a guestappearance for Sarah Michelle Geller for some dramatic backstory, but everything else should be new.

Anyway, I'm not interested in any option, only my opposition varies.

Whedonverse?

Love Buffy (TV series).

Didn't like Angel, but can't remember why, apart from it being cancelled and having no ending (perhaps that's simply it).

Absolutely love Firefly (and Serenity), which is quite a feat, considering my disregard for almost anything that's cancelled and doesn't have a proper ending.

Never seen Dollhouse, as far as I know, it's never been broadcast here so far, doubt it'll ever will.

Basically Angel wants to take out the ring or circle or something (been a while since ive seen it) and pretends to be in with them. In the last ep he splits the team up and they each take out a member, during this Wesley dies. At the very end they meet in an alley and you see Wolfram and Hart have sent an army of demons and a dragon after them. It ends with them charging into battle.

But those details are important. This felt just like the ending of a season,

with a couple of deaths thrown in for dramatic effect.

It doesn't feel like the end of a series.

Compare this to Buffy, where it was also made clear their adventures wouldn't stop there, still, it felt like the ending of the series. Everything just came together. Still though, it's not Angel's fault. Now my memory's been refreshed (somewhat), I quite liked the series, it's just unfortunate it doesn't have an ending (in my opinion), which results in me having no interest in it anymore, after the initial viewing.

It is also why I have no interest in Dollhouse, I assume it also doesn't have a proper ending, which will just frustrate me despite liking the concept itself.

Well, but how far in advance did they know? The finale may not have been filmed at the time, but they need time to set things up properly for a series finale, as opposed to a season finale. I doubt they had the chance to. But you're right, and I've already said myself this is just how I feel about it. Dollhouse though, I've never actually seen, so I can't really comment on it. Perhaps its ending is (/feels) proper despite the circumstances.

I dont know how long before but it was enough that they changed it up so it was the series finale and not just the season. I do get what you mean about how it could have used more build up but theres nothing that can be done about that. I will stick by the fact it would have ended with them carrying on fighting regardless of if they knew the show was ending or not.

Dollhouse has a complete ending, pretty much no way it could ever be confused with a season one.

I loved Buffy and Angel. Power-watched them all in about 6 months/probs less.

I disliked the Angel ending (as in final storyline), it felt...shabby. Or something.

Watched all of Dollhouse. It was pretty interesting.

People keep recommending Firefly, but I don't believe it'll be better than Battlestar Galactica and for some reason I feel I can only have seen one great space-set show.

Buffy was at its best from halfway through season two to the end of season five. There were some great episodes in the last two seasons as well ('Once More, with Feeling' being the best, obviously), but overall I found them noticeably weaker.

Angel had an alright ending, rushed though it may have been. I actually preferred season four, which had a much more interesting and epic overarching story. Going back to standalone episodes after that was disappointing, even if I understand why they did it. The show never handled its characters as well as Buffy did, though. All of my favorite characters were dead by the end, but useless Lorne stuck around for four seasons? Gunn was so useless that they ended up giving him magical lawyer powers in season five so he'd have something to do. And the less said about the horrible treatment of Cordelia, the better. :blank:

Firefly was my first Whedon show and I'm glad he got a chance to wrap it all up in Serenity. I still can't believe how badly FOX treated the show.

Dollhouse is probably his weakest show, but I still really enjoyed it overall. It took a long time to get going, though. It wasn't until season two that the show started to get really good.

Edited by Magnus

People keep recommending Firefly, but I don't believe it'll be better than Battlestar Galactica and for some reason I feel I can only have seen one great space-set show.

You really should get out of that

mindset then. All you are doing is missing out on a brilliant show for no good reason at all.

You shouldn't compare it to BG, Paj. You don't like sci-fi apart from BG?

Anyway, after Angel, I was eagerly anticipating what Whedon would do next, and I was pretty shocked and disappointed when I learned he was going to do a sci-fi western show. “Those 2 can't mix..” I thought.

But I bought the box for my brother as a present, and watched it anyway.. And I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. It just worked. Cast is great. The universe is very well conceived. The atmosphere can ve very gritty at times, in a horror / sci-fi / western way, but lighthearted at others. The only complaint you can have about this show is that it ends after 14 eps and a movie.

You really can't compare BG and Firefly The only link is that they're both sci-fi. BG is dramatic, profound and had a full run. Firefly is smart and fun to watch. There is just something about Firefly though, so much untapped potential to that show :(

Angel Season 4 is everything. I forgot how stunning that was.

Lyla. LYLA!

Cordelia. Cordelia. Fuck.

Connor. Eurgh/ ok, yes.

I never understood what Gunn was doing in the series, he had no purpose/his story was boring.

I never really watched Buffy/Angel, but Firefly and Dollhouse (especially season 2) are amazing shows.

I still watch Firefly/Serenity at least one a year, and it's still great after many watches. It just has the perfect cast. Well balanced, and you can tell like they get along behind the scenes, which further adds to how they worked together.

So has anyone read any of the Serenity comics? Ive got the first two trades on their way at the moment and im waiting for the third to be released in paperback. Apparently in that one we finally find out who Shepherd Book really was. All we need now is for whatever Inara's secret was to be revealed.