N-Europe

Questioning sense of humour

mcj metroid

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess that must be why I've been voted funniest member on this site, every year since the awards began. Can I go back on your ignore list now? :)

Don't worry mate, you're still on my ignore list. I was really pointing out that one persons humour taste differs from another.

Stephen Fry can be a real dipshit.

As Peeps pointed out, I think that quote is taken somewhat out of context.

Even so, who says one's right to be offended overrides another's right to be offensive?

One of my favourite Stephen Fry quotes.

Why do people bum Stephen Fry and other celebrities? Don't get me wrong I agree with what he said, and I like him on QI and in blackadder. but if somebody else said that, somebody on here for instance, you wouldn't bat an eyelid. But when Stephen Fry says it you start jizzing your pants, treat him like god and quote it at every possible opportunity. If I'd have said that would you be on another forum/medium saying "well MoogleViper said..."? Yet somebody on TV says it and you treat it as if he's the greatest philosopher of our time.

(not just you lots of people do it)

Well this thread has already turned awful after 3 pages.

I posted that quote not because I bum Stephen Fry but because it's fucking accurate. He's talking about people complaining about TV shows they've not even seen or radio shows they've not even watched. People complaining about hearing a swear word on a live show, without stopping to even consider if they were GENUINELY offended by it.

The fact it was said by Stephen Fry is totally irrelevant. Why has this thread turned into a Stephen Fry hate spew?

I probably get a bit more offended and annoyed by things other people do than I should. That's mostly due to being annoyed and frustrated with other things but yeah...

Anyway, the thing I find interesting is this: is the film meant to be funny? If you watch Evil Dead 2 then you are going to laugh because it is both jumpy and funny and purposefully plays on what is a classic human reflex to laugh at things we don't know how to deal with. But if you watch something like Dancer in the Dark and laugh the whole way through the film (not because you think the film is dumb) and you are still laughing when she bludgeons her friend to death with a metal toolbox then you have to look at yourself.

You're not meant to laugh at some things. That's not the point of what the director is showing you in a lot of cases. Just as if you started crying during the opening of the Lion King, unless you have a phobia of sunrises of African singing!

I think that a distinction needs to be made though. Laughing directly at something, such as farcical comedy, is very different to nervously laughing when something genuinely scares you.

If I watch a horror movie I wants to be scared and if that comes out occasionally as laughter than fine but I do find it hard to understand the relatively new trend of watching overly gory movies for the purpose of laughing, not to be shocked.

Well, it does make one think if people laugh at something horrible that's not meant to be funny, yes. Still, the only thing that's really important is why they're laughing at it. If it's because they find the act itself hilarious, then I'd probably not want to be friends with them anymore. But there are other potential reasons; with horror movies, the sheer over-the-top-ness of it all can indeed seem hilarious, even if wasn't intended to be; in other cases I'm also pretty sure people laugh as a defence mechanism when they just don't know how to react to something, especially fear.

Bottom line: It's still not the laughter/joke itself that's important, it's what the person actually, honestly thinks about the topic.

The fact it was said by Stephen Fry is totally irrelevant. Why has this thread turned into a Stephen Fry hate spew?

Then why quote him as saying it? He wasn't the first person to say something like that, far from it. So why not just say it yourself without quoting him (or anybody else).

SO'S YOUR MUM!!!

No but Jesus... I thought everyone kinda liked each other on this forum. Didn't realise there was so much hate doing the rounds. I should stop coming into threads like this.

There's not much hate in this thread. Only Jamba/ReZ and Daft/Stephen Fry.

I'm not seeing any of this hate you talk of.

Jamba and Rez having a bitch fight. Insults thrown at anyone who likes Stephen Fry because apparently that means you like to have anal sex with celebrities. It's just so childish to start arguments on the internet and use that kind of tone and language. This thread was interesting at the start, now it's just pathetic.

And don't reply to this with a smart ass remark, let's just get on with the debate at hand.

Then why quote him as saying it? He wasn't the first person to say something like that, far from it. So why not just say it yourself without quoting him (or anybody else).

Oh for fuck's sake. I'm sorry for being wrong for quoting and giving a source. I thought it was fairly standard practice but I guess it's not heard of here. Next time I'll claim someone else's words as my own, like most of the internet.

Jamba and Rez having a bitch fight. Insults thrown at anyone who likes Stephen Fry because apparently that means you like to have anal sex with celebrities. It's just so childish to start arguments on the internet and use that kind of tone and language. This thread was interesting at the start, now it's just pathetic.

And don't reply to this with a smart ass remark, let's just get on with the debate at hand.

Oh for fuck's sake. I'm sorry for being wrong for quoting and giving a source. I thought it was fairly standard practice but I guess it's not heard of here. Next time I'll claim someone else's words as my own, like most of the internet.

Wow you get offended really easily. Maybe you should listen to Stephen Fry more often, he has some good ideas on that subject.

You're just overreacting. Jamaba and Rez might not get on but I doubt they hate each other. MV qualified his statement by saying 'other celebrities' too and I only ripped into Steven Fry, not people who liked him.

It's only when you label this stuff does it become a problem because, shock horror, you (and people in general when they do this) end up misrepresenting it.

'This thread was interesting at the start, now it's just pathetic.' No, that reductionism is pathetic.

Bottom line: It's still not the laughter/joke itself that's important, it's what the person actually, honestly thinks about the topic.

I was thinking about this from the view of the original post. Why was the person in the original post upset?

There is a difference in their response to the material being shown. I would think that for someone who laughs as a defence mechanism/reflex, viewing it form the outside must look pretty messed up.

Personally, I see no value in watching a film like Saw. It's not that I don't like scary films but I find the level of violence unnecessary and it's just nasty and horrible rather than scary.

But you're right... what is it that people are laughing at? Is it the fact that the act in the context of the film is over the top? How graphic it is is over the top so much that it is out of context in the rest of the film?

I think for those that would laugh as the guys in the original post did, it's obvious that someone without the context or mood and possibly the same sense of humour as them would find it worrying that they are laughing.

I'm only offended by something if it's meant maliciously. For example, if someone called me a FAG and it was meant to be hurtful.. But I would never get offended by a simple joke.

Yep...I think that's the thing that I really don't like, people actually being malicious. I guess that does get me riled up...And it's an interesting, fine line...like when people are constantly using this sort of dark / possibly questionable humour, it makes you wonder why they keep repeating such things over and over again...combine with a cynical / pessimistic attitude and hello! :D

Well that's another thing I don't get, people being incapable of discussing things without being all cool and smart-assy all the time...like wtf.

Yep...I think that's the thing that I really don't like, people actually being malicious. I guess that does get me riled up...And it's an interesting, fine line...like when people are constantly using this sort of dark / possibly questionable humour, it makes you wonder why they keep repeating such things over and over again...combine with a cynical / pessimistic attitude and hello! :D

I understand what you mean here completely. It's difficult to be around people who are very different to you for many reasons. When someone essentially directs the humour or mood of a situation then that does have an effect on everyone involved.

For instance, it's ok for a comedian to make jokes about Joseph Fritzle (sp?) to a large group of relatively anonymous people but it's another thing for a person to do that in a more dynamic social situation with less people.