NEurope
Goafer

Colour photos from the 1940's

Should probably belong in the photography thread, but these are incredible. Love them.

100239-rare-depression-era-photos-in-color.jpg

100240-rare-depression-era-photos-in-color.jpg

100241-rare-depression-era-photos-in-color.jpg

100242-rare-depression-era-photos-in-color.jpg

100243-rare-depression-era-photos-in-color.jpg

100247-rare-depression-era-photos-in-color.jpg

100525-rare-depression-era-photos-in-color.jpg

100527-rare-depression-era-photos-in-color.jpg

100544-rare-color-photos-of-depression-era.jpg

100539-rare-color-photos-of-depression-era.jpg

They were actually taken in colour, not black and white images that were later coloured. They were all taken between 1939 and 1944.

Link 1

Link 2

My friend linked me these on twitter the other day - absolutely amazing photos, in context and colours.

I love so much. The first one really hits home the point - the unposed woman - she looks real! Like a real person, and not an imaginary black and white person from 'the past'. Wow.

Someone just posted this where I found out about them:

It's also a sobering thought that as those photos are mainly over 70 years old there is a good chance that (almost) everyone in them is dead now....

Sobering indeed.

Those picture are of such great quality and detail.

But they couldn't... back then... everything was... how did they...?

Those picture are of such great quality and detail.

But they couldn't... back then... everything was... how did they...?

It's because they were taken on slides. Some slides were 5x4 inches. By comparison, most film is 35mm. The bigger slides allow for far more detail.

Digital still hasn't caught up with normal film yet in terms of detail, although it's pretty indistinguishable.

Slides>Film>Digital.

They're incredible. The arc de triomphe one especially. And the factory / train one is so well lit.

(Btw Goaf, I just friend requested you on facebook so I can stalk and like your photos)

It's amazing how adding colour makes it look so... modern.

I'd love to see the same photo in black and white side by side with the colour just to compare my own reactions.

(Btw Goaf, I just friend requested you on facebook so I can stalk and like your photos)

OOORRRLLLYYY

Incredible. It's weird because the only time you normally get to see images of the past with such detail and colour is in film, but here you really get to see the limitations of that. I think no matter how advanced film gets it could never recreate the level of detail and feel of these photos, even with CGI. Like compare the first one with a scene from Madmen or the last one to any second world war film; they get close but just can't ever fully recreate that realism.