N-Europe

Royal Wedding

Mr-Paul

I didn't get it.

What's the big deal? The monarchy is out-dated and useless. Apart from the tourism factor, they serve no purpose. Watching a woman saying she was "shaking and crying" on the BBC whilst watching it made me want to vomit on her life.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't get it.

What's the big deal? The monarchy is out-dated and useless. Apart from the tourism factor, they serve no purpose. Watching a woman saying she was "shaking and crying" on the BBC whilst watching it made me want to vomit on her life.

How are people like this?!?!?! Those are the kind of people I really don't get at all. I get it if you liked it and I get if you're looking forward to it but 'shaking and crying'? Really?

I suppose we're all different, right? ::shrug:

Öhm, I mean that they are all totally different!

SWE: Vi är alla helt olika!

DAN: Vi er alle helt anderledes!

NOR: Vi er alle helt forskjellige!

;)

"We are all completely different!" for non-Scandinavians. ;)

But see, the Norwegian I understand fine ("forskjellige" is "forskellige" in Danish, which is literally a synonym to "anderledes"), but then the Swedes just had to throw in their own word, "olika", which is admittedly close to "ulige" upon closer inspection (which also technically means the same, but is very uncommon in this use), but which looks and sounds a lot different. Basically Swedish has far more words that either simply look and/or sound different to ours or really are entirely different words. I can understand some Swedish if I scrutinise it, but I wouldn't say it qualifies as understanding the language fluently. Norwegian is admittedly a lot easier to understand, but it can still cause trouble if not spoken clearly and/or slowly enough. :heh:

Anyway, my main point is that I really love the shared Scandinavian culture and heritage, and it bothers me a bit that I can't understand the other Scandinavian languages as well as I want to, being a fellow Scandinavian. It's not about actually actively learning the languages, it's this (perhaps unrealistic) idea that I should be able to understand Norwegian and Swedish fairly well because I already know Danish.