N-Europe

Minority Report is here, and not in a cool way

The Mad Monkey

Yes, sadly no holographic touch screens, but law enforcement based on future predictions.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/apr/28/royal-wedding-protest-three-arrested

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/Activist-arrested-ahead-of-Royal-Wedding-protest-29042011.htm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/police-crack-down-on-troublemakers-as-royal-wedding-nears-2275159.html

British police are lacking precogs to give them real information though, so they just knee jerking on peaceful protest organizers.

Am I the only person who things this is an over reaction?

Realistically how much disruption could a handful of activists achieved today?

Is this the first step to a police state?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First link:

Three anti-capitalist activists who were planning a mock execution of Prince Andrew with a guillotine to mark the royal wedding have been arrested and detained at Lewisham police station.

Justified arrest in my opinion.

I don't agree with the arrests made against people who were going to protest peacefully - but I don't think people should've been allowed near the procession with signs and megaphones. It's a wedding and it's understandable not to want anyone ruining it (from their point of view).

What exactly are they protesting anyway? Are they against the marriage itself?

I think they should have perhaps issued banning orders from the area and perhaps monitored and if they remotely get near the area and cause reason they were set to go ahead with protests then they should have been arrested...put them off first rather than instantly arrest.

That's not a new thing though, people have been arrested for conspiracy to etc before. Obviously for worse things though.

As I said, I don't agree that they should've been arrested but definitely keep them away from the wedding by other means. Fair enough there's freedom of speech and right to protest and everything but what about the couple's right to have a nice occasion without idiots executing effigies of the royal family?

I'm sorry, but what makes them idiots?

I'm pretty sure a professor of anthropology is less of an idiot than you are.

Fact is it was an (intended) piece of street theater to show the (intelligent) peoples opinion of the royals.

Well you're definitely not biased are you.

What's intelligent about simulating cutting off the head of the groom's uncle at his wedding?

Excuse me, did I say the act in itself was intelligent?

Not that there is anything wrong with it, as far as I can tell it's not breaking any laws, there was no reason to stop it.

Well you're definitely not biased are you.

No, I am biased, I'm a big believer in free speech, pray tell what is wrong with that?

This isn't a new type of law enforcement, as Peeps said, the pre planning must have gone past more than a preparatory decision before they can be charged which by the sounds of it they had.

They did it to try and cause a disruption, otherwise they could have just done it on another day. They'd be allowed to do it at most other times but just not this, so it isn't really a condemning of free speech like you so persistently seem to argue.

This isn't a new type of law enforcement, as Peeps said, the pre planning must have gone past more than a preparatory decision before they can be charged which by the sounds of it they had.

They did it to try and cause a disruption, otherwise they could have just done it on another day. They'd be allowed to do it at most other times but just not this, so it isn't really a condemning of free speech like you so persistently seem to argue.

No charges have been brought though, they may have been arrested, but no charges have been, or can be brought. All these people had planned was a bit of street theater and some peaceful protesting, neither of which is currently against UK law.

Because it's pointless believing in something that will never exist.

Tell that to all the kids who believe in Santa Claus.

Bad example I know, but as realistic as a true democratic state as we'll ever get.

There's no need to insult people who have different views than yourself.

When did I insult anyone?

I'm sorry, but what makes them idiots?

I'm pretty sure a professor of anthropology is less of an idiot than you are

Fact is it was an (intended) piece of street theater to show the (intelligent) peoples opinion of the royals.

Excuse me, did I say the act in itself was intelligent?

Not that there is anything wrong with it, as far as I can tell it's not breaking any laws, there was no reason to stop it.

Here is some freedom of speech for you captain hypocrite.

lol.png

Notice how I'm not breaking any laws.

No charges have been brought though, they may have been arrested, but no charges have been, or can be brought. All these people had planned was a bit of street theater and some peaceful protesting, neither of which is currently against UK law.

Like I said, the peaceful protesting is fine but the 'bit of street theatre' involved a mock execution of a member of the royal family. Forgive me if I don't see that as peaceful or light-hearted.

For the record, I couldn't give a shit about the Royals or the wedding but I don't see why they can't be left alone for one day.

I was referring to your implication that intelligent people hold anti-monarchy views, and therefore, people who agree with the monarchy are unintelligent.

It's not an implication, it's a fact.

Monarchy in general, not just this countries, is a bad idea.

It's an antiquated notion that really needs getting rid of.

They have no political power, and any money they do bring in does not cover the money they take from the state. Their is no point to them other than wasting money that could be better spent.

Like I said earlier though, cause and occasion are unimportant.

It's the FACT that the government will jump on anybody willing to express their opinion if they disagree with it.

The arrests were probably a mistake in the sense that they'll get the protesters exactly the column inches they were after and would otherwise have been denied.

I dislike public protests. To me it's like swearing: an admission that you either have nothing interesting to say or lack the faculties to do so.

Here.

10char

No insult there, just a rebuttal.

Like I said, the peaceful protesting is fine but the 'bit of street theatre' involved a mock execution of a member of the royal family. Forgive me if I don't see that as peaceful or light-hearted.

For the record, I couldn't give a shit about the Royals or the wedding but I don't see why they can't be left alone for one day.

Here's an idea, why not just elope to the local registry office without telling anyone that way they could have their day in peace, it wouldn't cost the nation a fortune it can ill afford, and nobody would protest, or even plan it.

They wanted, or tradition called for, you make the distinction, that the whole world grind to a halt to notice them on their big day. They should be as open to criticism as any other national event/decision.

The arrests were probably a mistake in the sense that they'll get the protesters exactly the column inches they were after and would otherwise have been denied.

I dislike public protests. To me it's like swearing: an admission that you either have nothing interesting to say or lack the faculties to do so.

So, how would you have the public react to a government decision they disagree with?

Just lie down and give up their rights?

Well clearly you are a narrow minded idiot, and as such, there is little point in further debate.

Likewise.

You obviously can't see it's the beginning of something, something that others famously ignored

First they came for the communists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

You are very biased by your ill feelings towards this event.

This happens all of the time. We had a big student protest this year, and people who were particularly troublesome got arrested. It makes sense to me, they could have hurt someone, and I believe they were defacing/damaging property.

It's like the Westboro crazies picketing at people's funerals. Do you not agree that there should be an area restriction so that they can't get too close?

There will always be people getting arrested at protests, and rightfully so. If they were really warming up to a police state, they would arrest EVERYONE involved. Not just "three anti-capitalist activists".

You're free to criticise it, but I think you're getting a bit out of perspective?

Cost the nation a fortune? I thought it was announced that the families themselves were paying for it.

Admittedly we are funding the security but it's been calculated to cost each taxpayer an extra £1. I know I don't like paying a whole pound extra for a wedding that has nothing to do with me and that I don't care about but that's the cost of protecting public figures. An extra £1 isn't going to make much of a difference as a one-off event.

This is just what I've found out from Google so if I'm wrong do let me know.

So, how would you have the public react to a government decision they disagree with?

Just lie down and give up their rights?

Hahahahahahahahaha