NEurope
Eenuh

Jobs as an artist?

All I've been hearing from illustrators currently working (we get a lot of visiting lecturers on my Illustration course) is get an agent.

hwlogomain01.jpg

All I've been hearing from illustrators currently working (we get a lot of visiting lecturers on my Illustration course) is get an agent.

I was told -nothing- about how to start out as an illustrator or what I need to do to get jobs, but I do know that getting an agent is a concept that isn't done here at all.

So I don't know if it's an option, at least not if I keep living in Belgium. =/

Where would one find an agent actually? (let's say in the UK) Any ideas? =)

I have always looked at your work and been reminded of the incredible illustrations from children's books. Freelance illustration may be your calling, as flimsy as some may feel it is. I'd definitely start looking into contributing some work to a publication or get it out there some other way. Your stuff is solid and I have no doubt you're gonna find a place in the art world to develop your vibrant creativity even further.

Hell, if you feel confident in your storytelling, I'd be using that talent to create a short children's book premise and be showcasing it to publishers.

I've read a lot of kids books and generally the storylines are a bit crap. If it rhymes and has nice pictures it's a winner.

Would I be right in thinking this works in the same way like a supply teaching agency does? So, the work comes in, they phone you up/email you, you take up the work, ta-daa, moniesinthebank.

Do you actually have to have the agency/agent close by/locally, or can you have one on the opposite side of the country and communicate over the phone or email?

I was told -nothing- about how to start out as an illustrator or what I need to do to get jobs, but I do know that getting an agent is a concept that isn't done here at all.

So I don't know if it's an option, at least not if I keep living in Belgium. =/

Where would one find an agent actually? (let's say in the UK) Any ideas? =)

Good shout I think is to find a load of illustrators you like (Looks in newspapers, magazines ect) Then send email them asking for advice. Obviously they'll be the one's who can actually tell you how to go about getting an agent ect, and advise on making money out of it all.

Good shout I think is to find a load of illustrators you like (Looks in newspapers, magazines ect) Then send email them asking for advice. Obviously they'll be the one's who can actually tell you how to go about getting an agent ect, and advise on making money out of it all.

Like I said though, agents are not really used in Belgium (I know this from a professional illustrator). And I asked my ex-teacher about stuff like money once (he's an illustrator too) and he didn't really want to answer it. So not sure other illustrators will want to answer that haha.

To be honest I feel a bit left in the dark. They never told us in uni where we have to start out, what a base price is for an illustration/the hours we spend on it, how to get a portfolio together, how to contact publishers... Uni sucks. =P

Mostly whoever the guy is who guys around unis and talks about it. Just...you know when you just dislike someone from the off? And recently (about 2 months ago) they were part of some news story and they essentially said "the VFX/similar fields education in this country is rubbish", which seemed to me to be a backhanded way of insulting everyone so they are happy with their runner scheme.

But that's just me ^_^

You know, he's right. There are literally a very small handful of Universities that provide good education in the way of visual effects or video game related jobs. The most popular one being Abertay Dundee.

Double Negative are incredibly sought after when it comes to jobs. They are after all the ILM of europe, and with that comes the fact that the only two ways to get in really is by being a runner (so doing a shit job, getting to know the people and getting them to like you) or if you physically know someone who works there. Otherwise it's purely down to luck, no matter how good you are. That's the nature of the industry. Even if you do manage to get a job there, it will be contractual based. You may not see a full time contract for years!

Could you try sending some of your work to children's book publishers?

You know, he's right. There are literally a very small handful of Universities that provide good education in the way of visual effects or video game related jobs. The most popular one being Abertay Dundee.

Double Negative are incredibly sought after when it comes to jobs. They are after all the ILM of europe, and with that comes the fact that the only two ways to get in really is by being a runner (so doing a shit job, getting to know the people and getting them to like you) or if you physically know someone who works there. Otherwise it's purely down to luck, no matter how good you are. That's the nature of the industry. Even if you do manage to get a job there, it will be contractual based. You may not see a full time contract for years!

Mhm I know but ultimately its not a company I want to work for. All respect to them for how far they've come but not my bag.

Mhm I know but ultimately its not a company I want to work for. All respect to them for how far they've come but not my bag.

That's fine, but the same applies to most companies in the entertainment industry. Strong connections + shit hot portfolio + Good personality.

What kind of company would you want to work for then?

Eenuh; why not write and then publish your own children's book?

http://www.gigletsltd.co.uk/about.html

This company was started by a guy I know from uni and it's pretty successful. Obviously it will be a struggle at first with a lot of hard work for very little reward but it will look incredible on your CV when you come to apply for other jobs.

That's fine, but the same applies to most companies in the entertainment industry. Strong connections + shit hot portfolio + Good personality.

What kind of company would you want to work for then?

I think I've pretty much decided against going for the creative side of the creative industry and instead looking at other areas within the industry.

Anyway this is Eenuh's thread and I am still a little muddled up so the above is about the long and short of what I know.

Could you try sending some of your work to children's book publishers?

That's what I plan to do in the future, though I think I need to get a good portfolio together first. And find out how exactly you contact them heh. But yes, I'll be doing that for sure!

Eenuh; why not write and then publish your own children's book?

http://www.gigletsltd.co.uk/about.html

This company was started by a guy I know from uni and it's pretty successful. Obviously it will be a struggle at first with a lot of hard work for very little reward but it will look incredible on your CV when you come to apply for other jobs.

I'm not sure I have the knowledge and means to publish my own books... First of all I'm not a very good writer so writing my own stories won't be easy.

And then all the things you have to do to publish your own books... don't really see myself being capable of doing that. I imagine it would cost a shit ton of money too! =O

Anyway this is Eenuh's thread and I am still a little muddled up so the above is about the long and short of what I know.

Oh, feel free to use this thread too if you want! Any creative person looking for job ideas is welcome in here heh. =)