N-Europe

Ordering from US Amazon/eBay

Wesley

Yo forumies.

Does anyone have an experience ordering from over these across the pond websites?

I really wanna grab a Wacom Cintiq 12WX, but it's a bit pricey at £850.

Where as the US Amazon has it for around £570 and I've found a new one on the US eBay for £615.

Both will ship to the UK but how does customs and exports work?

I've heard people mention having to pay the postman or something when they've ordered stuff abroad.

Any clues?

Hum... I might get a friend in America to order it for me...

And then they can just send it to me, and fill on the form that it's a gift under £40.

Which I think means you get away with a charge?

Doesn't always work though. They can still open it up and check it. They know people use the gift option a bit much these days.

Might work, but there's also a chance it won't...

The cost the customs charge you equates the difference of how much said product would cost over there in the UK, meaning, you'll have to pay the same price, IF customs do check it.

However, most ebay users ship things by FedEx or other similar shipping companies, which means... customs can't open it, ta-da! So... eBay would be your best bet! :heh:

Gosh darn it!

Oh shiiit!

I think my boss is going to the US soon...

I might get him to just... buy it for me?

And bring it back?

Wouldn't that be your best option? Means you don't pay for postage either. =P

I once ordered a DS game which was worth $20... the stupid customs people read that as $70 and charged me €10, almost as much as the game cost me. =(

Stupid customs...

Hum... I might get a friend in America to order it for me...

And then they can just send it to me, and fill on the form that it's a gift under £40.

Which I think means you get away with a charge?

If you put that it's a gift under £40 and it gets lost...

If you put that it's a gift under £40 and it gets lost...

Yeah this is the problem with trying to get around the system, especially one that is there to actually protect you.

The cost the customs charge you equates the difference of how much said product would cost over there in the UK, meaning, you'll have to pay the same price, IF customs do check it.

However, most ebay users ship things by FedEx or other similar shipping companies, which means... customs can't open it, ta-da! So... eBay would be your best bet! :heh:

Why can't they check FedEx?

I learn something new everyday.

Considering i payed $25 for the DVD (box-set, can only get over the US) then they plonked £8 on top of that. So, ended up paying £20 (about $33).

It's a bit of a jip that Customs check random packages, but i suppose they need to do that in the case it is a bomb. And a jip they slap a charge onto it for you to pay.

Wonder if anyone snatched the item from Mr Postie and refused to pay the fee?.

Why can't they check FedEx?

I'd put a guess on it being that Fed-Ex have a responsibility to make sure the package gets to you un-opened and un-tampered with. If it means skipping customs, so be it for them.

Wish that were true, I had something shipped via UPS and still had to pay import tax. Though I complained to the company and got refunded that amount. Still had to pay the bastard when he came knocking.