N-Europe

Tomb Raider Film Reboot Announced

Murr

More games turned film news..

GK Films announced today that it's acquired the movie rights to the Tomb Raider game franchise from Square Enix.

Producer Graham King and Tom Headington will reboot the film series, with a new Lara Croft adventure slated to hit the screen by 2013. "We are very excited to be rebooting what is already a hugely successful film franchise and continuing the Tomb Raider phenomenon," King said in a press release.

The previous two Tomb Raider films, starring Angelina Jolie as the busty, British treasure hunter Lara Croft and released by Paramount, grossed over $430 million at the global box office.

GK Films has produced The Town, Rango and The Tourist, which starred Jolie.

Crystal Dynamics revealed last December that they're making a new Tomb Raider game that will focus on the origins of Lara Croft.

Source - IGN.com

Does the world really need more Tomb Raider movies? The games aren't really the 'in' thing any more and the storylines were never that interesting anyway. I guess it's the Hollywood dream though, Indiana Jones-style action with a sexy lead. Great...

I'll be honest, I really didn't mind Tomb Raider all that much! Yeah, okay, it's not exactly a great movie but, as Chairdriver has said, it's just an easy movie which requires no thoughts. Plus Angelina Jolie...

I would like to know who the next Lara Croft will be though, that would be interesting. I hope, as well, that it isn't Megan Fox.