Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario 3D Land

Nice to here both of your views, the controls has been debated quite a bit, but eventually you'll get used to it.

I let my friend borrow 3D land last month, as he just recently bought a 3DS and hes enjoying it.

the only negative in my opinion is the music, there's hardly any new tracks at all, perhaps they used the "classic mario with a modern twist" as a way to not make any new tracks? :hmm:

totally agree about the '3D' in this game, I've said it before, I thought that it's the best use of 3D that I have seen in any game.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you coule well have been right @Aneres11! :D

:grin:

Yay!

Was good to read through your's and Capt F's comments!

I found that the first 2 worlds were just 'ok' but after that it got better and better! Hopefully it will continue to impress you too!

Really pleased you like it though - we must have the same Mario gaming tastes! :hehe:

Be sure to post more the further you go with it!!

Got all the medals on my first playthrough, the stars only have outlines and dont shine, because i must have died morethan 5 times on 1 level ! is there anyway to find out which level and re do it , or will i have to start a complete new save to get the shiny stars on the save profile :(?

I have four shiny stars right now and I'm fairly sure I must have died more than 5 times on some levels - the last springs to mind. That said, I never had the invincible tanooki suit or P-Wing appear. Do they only appear if you continually die before hitting any check points and how many deaths need to happen? What triggers the random item block appearing because sometimes when I've died, that has appeared near my restart point.

i think i got the invisible tanooki once, i did not touch the block tho, they should give warning about this or at least give you a chance to re claim the stars without a whole second play through

It is a bit dumb. Sonic Genertaions requires you to finish a level without dying to get the best rank but it doesn't lock it away for good if you do - which is effectively what this is doing.

I think in Galaxy 2, if you used the cosmic helper to get a star it's silver isn't it and you can still get the gold one by doing it yourself. Therefore you aren't penalized for it. Which is really the way they should have handled this too. All they had to do was give you an additional icon to signify whether a level was done without dying and allowed you to attempt it as many times as you like.

"They want harder games? We'll give them harder games!"

And then we'll penalise them for not doing everything perfectly first time!

Personally, I think the difficulty of Mario games has become silly. I completed Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros DS 100%, but it was Star 242 in Galaxy 2 that ruined it for me. Since then, I haven't even tried to 100% a Mario because (to me) they're too hard to be worth it.

What are we talking about here... the 3 star coins you see outside of a level... are they supposed to sparkle?

Mine have black outlines, but I haven't seen the P-Wing I don't think... unless it's that see through item select box that sometimes appears?... but that appeared once after just having lost 1 life I think.

I currently have 4 stars on my file. What's the maximum number you can achieve?

Five stars.

- Find all Star Medals

- Get a Golden Flagpole on every level

- Finish every level with both characters

You're probably missing the last one, because it's pretty stupid. :indeed:

You can still get all five stars...

... And unlock the final level...

... But if you die five times in one of the regular levels and the golden tanooki leaf appears, your stars won't be shiny. That's the only difference.

It's just like in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. You're only missing out on bragging rights.

Five stars.

- Find all Star Medals

- Get a Golden Flagpole on every level

- Finish every level with both characters

You're probably missing the last one, because it's pretty stupid. :indeed:

I'm actually missing the last 2 of them but know that I have used the golden tanooki suit so that's no shiny stars for me!! Argh!

Wish I'd have known!

Thanks Magnus!

• 1 month later...

Five Shiny Star'd this yesterday! :D

Overall a great game... the final Bowser Castle and the comedy cutscenes/ending/credits were brilliant (Bowsers slow mo fall, hit on the head etc...), the graphics were gorgeous!

Having to complete all levels with both characters was pretty lame, and where possible just became a case of speed running through the levels with Luigi.

Oh and I'm really not enjoying the final level... don't think I'll bother.

It's also a shame Mario games offer up no real replayability whatsoever!

But overall it was a really good game!

I never really saw the point of that suit/never used it during the main game, but I assume turning to stone means you can pass through some of the fire/enemies etc?

Do you actually get anything/does anything change for completing that level?

Edited by Retro_Link

Five Shiny Star'd this yesterday! :D

Overall a great game... the final Bowser Castle and the comedy cutscenes/ending/credits were brilliant (Bowsers slow mo fall, hit on the head etc...), the graphics were gorgeous!

Having to complete all levels with both characters was pretty lame, and where possible just became a case of speed running through the levels with Luigi.

Oh and I'm really not enjoying the final level... don't think I'll bother.

It's also a shame Mario games offer up no real replayability whatsoever!

But overall it was a really good game!

The bit where he gets bonked on the head always cracks me up. Did you notice on some of the postcards how if you move your 3DS around, the parts of image move too as if they were on springs or how they learn to one side?

You played through 8 worlds as Mario. You played through 8 very slightly different worlds as Mario. You then play through the eight worlds as Luigi. You then played through those slightly different worlds as Luigi. And after all that, you went back and went after the Golden Flags to unlock another level.

It's kinda difficult to argue the game has no replay value when it's effectively made you play the same set of levels 4 times over and given you a extra star for your troubles.

What else could then do to give it replay value? It records level times so you can try speed running levels if that's you bag.

I was missing a flag which I've only just got so now I'm attempting the final level - seems quite tricky with no power-ups and I could easily see this frustrating me more than "The Perfect Run" ever did.

Downloadable levels... online challenges, I don't know... I'm just becoming more uncomfortable with games that once you've finished them that's it, they're sat there gathering dust.

I can't say the I particularly enjoyed the second 'Luigi playthrough' either (I got all the golden flags on that playthrough)... although I actually liked playing as Luigi... I did it because I already had two shiny stars and knew that speed running through the majority of the levels (bar a few frustrating ones) wouldn't take too long, and it didn't, I had it all done within an extra days play... so that's not really replayability.

I'm a completionist where possible, so that's the only reason.

Though Fox Luigi was great! :D

Like I say, it was very enjoyable while it lasted.

Edited by Retro_Link

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!