NEurope
jayseven

The Darkness II

Link!

So it seems that The Darkness is getting a sequel! Due out autumn this year for all non-tendo consoles.

Interestingly, the game is not being developed by the original’s developer Starbreeze Studios. Instead, it is being handled by Digital Extreme, which is perhaps best known for its work on Dark Sector and the multiplayer portion of last year’s BioShock 2.

Not sure what I think about that. Dark sector was average, and BS2's multiplayer was average... but then Darkness was rather average as well. I hope they get the tone/script right, at least!

Well judging by the total lack of replies to this no one is really bothered that much. I loved The Darkness and hated it actually. I think in terms of tone, story, atmosphere it did so much right. Just occasionally it got things very wrong some annoying gameplay mechanics, so infuriating sections. Also for every section of brilliance that you could complete in many different ways using your various powers etc... there is a boring section where your trudge down corridors or streets. The voices of the Darklings as a constant presence whispering in your ears was awesome.

I think you summed it up well flameboy! The Darkness had flashes of greatness and some fine ideas but they were often poorly communicated and lost in obtuse level design choices. It's a shame Starbreeze aren't on it again though because anyone who played the Riddick remaster on 360 can tell you it's an excellent game that was made have learned a great deal from The Darkness.

Ah wow. I think I was one of the few people that really loved the first game. Starbreeze have a habit of taking shit IP and turning it into absolute gold. Sincerely hope they improve the shooting mechanics a fuckton, and keep out of anything resembling the hell stages. Jesus they were a chore.

I would be a lot more psyched if it was with the original developers.

So I'm going to be bitter if it turns out to be bad or average.

The Darkness is one of my favorite games this gen.

BUMP

So yeah, the demo is out on the XBL Marketplace for Gold members. I haven't got it, as I don't have Gold right now, but I've seen a video it and it looks great. I'm very tempted to get this now. The video I mentioned is here. Oh, and spoilers btw:

Did anyone get this in the end?

I just finished it 100% in about 25 hours. On the whole, it's a decent game unaffected by bugs, glitches, game-breaking difficulty curve or frustrating set-pieces. Features like controlling the darkling weren't overused, cut scenes weren't too long.

I'd be interested in going back to play the first game again. The first game was slower, darker, more alienating and visceral. This sequel has given Jackie more depth with his roster of mafia mates, and the art direction is very borderlands-ish, but polished and straightforward. But it still feels kinda like two different games, the first trying to be sandbox-ish, condemnedish, Crow-ish. This one, with its skill trees and co-op campaign and much more linear areas leaves less room for one to simmer or brood with the character. Less need to lurk about (less abilities to do so) and more combat strength.

I do kinda feel like D2 has sacrificed some of the depth with their shorter game (it feels shorter but honestly I can't remember the first game's length that well), and instead uses relatively easy to attain achievements to produce a very rewarding experience throughout. Less of a cult classic and more of a well-adjusted (aside from the blood and stuff) member of modern gaming society.

Yeah I'd be interested in hearing from others who have played it -- and if anyone wants to comment on some similarities with Shadows of the Damned, too. SotD wanted to have fun with the b-movie hell-bound genre and they strangely predicted much of D2.

Yeah, I played through it on release. I think I posted about it in the 360 thread though.

I enjoyed it but I liked the original much better. I found this one to be too short and too much of a shooter than the first game....if that makes any sense. I did love the comic book art style for the second game though.

Ah, found my thoughts in the 360 thread from when I played it.

I started and finished The Darkness II yesterday and I have to say that it's not a patch on the original game. Now I loved the first one and was pretty excited for the sequel, but the game is just far too short and easy. I think total campaign time was around the 5 hour mark. You do get another little campaign to do in the form of Vendetta, but even that is only about a couple of hours long.

The story isn't as interesting as the first game, although the end was pretty cool. The Darkness powers aren't as good either. I miss being able to send out my little darkness snake/worm and rip peoples throats out. :(