NEurope
ipaul

New York bans smoking outdoors.

Just to update my stance here. I'd rather smoking be illegal than just banned. I honestly don't see what benefit you can get from smoking that would outweigh all of of the negatives.

The only reason I can think of for someone smoking is it apparently relieves stress... well my stepmum smokes and she's more frequently stressed about having money to buy the cigarettes than anything else.

I really don't see the point in smoking when all it does is harm you and potentially others. So yeah, I say make it illegal altogether and we can forget all about it within 5 years.

That's a great idea, in my opinion. The amount of smokers would cut down due to those who are afraid of the law and wouldn't dare do anything to break it...

You really need an answer to that? Obviously it's because it's good and enjoyable!

HOW when it smells and tastes like shite? Someone said on here (Goafer?) that smokers even admitted that it smells and tastes crap so why do it? It's a little like eating or smelling something you hate.

I hate celery but I wouldn't eat it again now that I know I hate it. I hate the smell of a certain air freshner, I wouldn't find it and smell it now I know I hate it.

So yeah, I kind of do need an answer to it because I don't understand it...

It's just as selfish as wanting them to stop just so you'll have a slighlty lower chance of being mildly disturbed for a short period of time.

No because I'll say it again. There are cheaper healthier ways of getting a nicotine fix. Prolonged exposure causes serious harm, so it's fair to say that smoke is dangerous, and poisonous, and no one has the right to put it in my body, or force me to move away to protect myself. It is selfish.

If smoke can cause serious harm, it is harmful, so there's excuse to have it in public places. No one don't have the right to poison me, no matter how little poison it is.

There's patches and electronic cigarettes you can get to get nicotine and they do work. As somebody said, they're addicted to the nicotine, not the smoke itself.

There's patches and electronic cigarettes you can get to get nicotine and they do work. As somebody said, they're addicted to the nicotine, not the smoke itself.

I believe that to not be correct in some circumstances - the nicotine thing is a physical addiction. I'm positive that a lot of smokers who fail to quit are mentally addicted to cigarettes (in a similar way to how some of us here are probably addicted to video games). Although this is just a theory from me and not from a scientific study (it would be an interesting one to actually do a study into).

I believe that to not be correct in some circumstances - the nicotine thing is a physical addiction. I'm positive that a lot of smokers who fail to quit are mentally addicted to cigarettes (in a similar way to how some of us here are probably addicted to video games). Although this is just a theory from me and not from a scientific study (it would be an interesting one to actually do a study into).

So you mean they like the touch of them and actually lighting one up? Is this what you mean?

It's times like this when you'd prefer a more fluid form of government.

The rule should be "You can smoke anywhere you want, but if you are asked to extinguish your cigarette, you must." Or something of that ilk.

That way, haters can hate, and lovers can love.

So you mean they like the touch of them and actually lighting one up? Is this what you mean?

Enjoying a cigarette goes beyond basic senses of taste/smell. It stimulates another part of the brain I suppose. Enjoyable in a way that of course has very little to do with taste.

I remember hearing some scientists who reckoned it could well be the touch/feel/taking a drag aspect that addicts people to cigarettes.

It's hardly harmful. Studies have concluded that virtually almost no problems have arisen from it.

...but you can't show anyone these studies? Where did you see them?

Show me. And I mean real problems.

People did, then people asked you to show them the studies you spoke about

I don't need to provide anything.

*raises eyebrow*

It's times like this when you'd prefer a more fluid form of government.

The rule should be "You can smoke anywhere you want, but if you are asked to extinguish your cigarette, you must." Or something of that ilk.

That way, haters can hate, and lovers can love.

And you really believe that ignorant smokers would do this if you asked them nicely?

Enjoying a cigarette goes beyond basic senses of taste/smell. It stimulates another part of the brain I suppose. Enjoyable in a way that of course has very little to do with taste.

I remember hearing some scientists who reckoned it could well be the touch/feel/taking a drag aspect that addicts people to cigarettes.

How can you ignore the taste though, it's gross! Fair enough if you like it but if you say you don't like it and then do it anyway, it's weird!

In this respect, somebody should make a fake cigarette that feels real and provides nicotine without any smoke....

The strange thing about these types of things is that I become the most right wing cunt there is [/right wing is the wrong word, can't properly express what I mean]. In Battlestar Galactica, I'm so held under by Laura Roslin, precisely because she's fucking insane when it comes down to tough decisions.

"You know what this means? She has to die."

Sometimes in life you just need someone to take things by the reigns and do shit. I can't be bothered with people that moan about non-peaceful protest and whatnot. Realistically, just storm the bastille.

The strange thing about these types of things is that I become the most right wing cunt there is [/right wing is the wrong word, can't properly express what I mean]. In Battlestar Galactica, I'm so held under by Laura Roslin, precisely because she's fucking insane when it comes down to tough decisions.

"You know what this means? She has to die."

Sometimes in life you just need someone to take things by the reigns and do shit. I can't be bothered with people that moan about non-peaceful protest and whatnot. Realistically, just storm the bastille.

I love these regular smoking threads. The issue of smoking seems to be the argument that can get the N-E population the most riled up.

And you really believe that ignorant smokers would do this if you asked them nicely?.

Perhaps not. The non ignorant ones probably would though, of which there are plenty.

And you really believe that ignorant smokers would do this if you asked them nicely?

Well yeah, if there's a £50 fine for not.

And please, don't tar people with a brush. Just really unnecessary, and makes you sound ignorant yourself.

How can you ignore the taste though, it's gross! Fair enough if you like it but if you say you don't like it and then do it anyway, it's weird!

Oh for heavens sake Dazz - IT GOES BEYOND TASTE.

Oh for heavens sake Dazz - IT GOES BEYOND TASTE.

I know, read the rest of my post, biatch, hehe ;)

Well yeah, if there's a £50 fine for not.

And please, don't tar people with a brush. Just really unnecessary, and makes you sound ignorant yourself.

That sounds cool but I think they'd listen more if it was up £50 more. ;)

Also, I used the word 'ignorant' because there are ignorant smokers out there and I am speaking about those kind of smokers. I have already established in this thread that I know some smokers who are nice and I know that all smokers are not ignorant or selfish but I'm talking about the smokers who only care about themselves.

Edited by Animal
Automerged Doublepost

I know, read the rest of my post, biatch, hehe ;)

I did already, I just felt I needed to reinforce it One More Time all things considered.

I did already, I just felt I needed to reinforce it One More Time all things considered.

I know but it still baffles me but I'll drop it because you posted a Daft Punk video! :grin:

HOW when it smells and tastes like shite? Someone said on here (Goafer?) that smokers even admitted that it smells and tastes crap so why do it? It's a little like eating or smelling something you hate.

I hate celery but I wouldn't eat it again now that I know I hate it. I hate the smell of a certain air freshner, I wouldn't find it and smell it now I know I hate it.

So yeah, I kind of do need an answer to it because I don't understand it...

It feels good. How is that hard to understand? It's like a drug, it's enjoyable, if you like it.

Hell, I would argue that pussy doesn't exactly taste or smell good by most standards, but I happen to like the way it smells and tastes. It gives me pleasure.

No because I'll say it again. There are cheaper healthier ways of getting a nicotine fix. Prolonged exposure causes serious harm, so it's fair to say that smoke is dangerous, and poisonous, and no one has the right to put it in my body, or force me to move away to protect myself. It is selfish.

If smoke can cause serious harm, it is harmful, so there's excuse to have it in public places. No one don't have the right to poison me, no matter how little poison it is.

Again, it can cause serious harm in prolonged exposion. Much like car fumes. Exhaust fumes from chimneys. Pretty much everything. Shall we ban fossil fuels because you're a such a princess and can't have your little circle of balance disturbed? You're the cause of most of the world's problems, you and people like you, with this self-righteous self-centered attitude. We're a flawed race, so there must be tolerance for our nature in the way we govern ourselves. We must compromise to achieve a scenario where the majority is pleased with the overall structure of life.

In this particular case there's no evidence to believe that standard exposure to second hand smoke causes any health hazards that go beyond slight discomfort. Therefore, since the first hand smokers seem to be getting something out of it and it's not really harming anyone in any meaningful way, we, as a society must tolerate this habit, since it's considered a legal habit by the laws that govern us.

So far, we have no reason to believe it damages you more than passing by someone listening to loud music on the street, and therefore it must remain a liberty the majority shall have to endure since there's quite literally no harm being done. It's a nuisance, yes... I don't like it either, but it's their legal right to enjoy a smoke in an enviorenment where they won't be harming anyone who doesn't want to be harmed.

So far I haven't found evidence of a single case of a second hand smoker having health problems without it being tied to prolonged exposure, so why should we disrespect a minority in such a way? If it bothers you that much you're the one with a problem, since most people seem to be somewhat ok with it.

Uphold the will of the majority, but never disrespect the minorities, that is the rule of democracy. And I happen to believe in it.

...but you can't show anyone these studies? Where did you see them?

People did, then people asked you to show them the studies you spoke about

*raises eyebrow*

I saw them at the same wikipedia page that happenstance forwarded my way later. Go check it out. External links section.

People did and they did it wrong. They gave me studies stating exactly what I was defending... prolonged exposure = harm, no evidence of harm in standard exposure, so far.

And I don't need to provide, because they already did. You want me to quote their posts just in case?

Is this not clear enough?

I know but it still baffles me but I'll drop it because you posted a Daft Punk video! :grin:

I have had their beats On Repeat virtually all day.

I saw them at the same wikipedia page that happenstance forwarded my way later. Go check it out. External links section.

People did and they did it wrong. They gave me studies stating exactly what I was defending... prolonged exposure = harm, no evidence of harm in standard exposure, so far.

And I don't need to provide, because they already did. You want me to quote their posts just in case?

Is this not clear enough?

You could have said that Happenstance had already posted the link you went to in the first place instead of saying "I don't need to provide anything". You could have said "I don't need to provide anything because Happenstance has already posted the link where I got my information from"

I have had their beats On Repeat virtually all day.

I do when I work out, it's great fun! :D

You could have said that Happenstance had already posted the link you went to in the first place instead of saying "I don't need to provide anything". You could have said "I don't need to provide anything because Happenstance has already posted the link where I got my information from"

Okay. :wink:

Again, it can cause serious harm in prolonged exposion. Much like car fumes. Exhaust fumes from chimneys. Pretty much everything. Shall we ban fossil fuels because you're a such a princess and can't have your little circle of balance disturbed?

The pollution from those things actually serve a purpose other than personal pleasure (transport and energy). The technology isn't in place to quit using them, so we make do. Smokers have loads of ways to quit.

You're the cause of most of the world's problems, you and people like you, with this self-righteous self-centered attitude.

Pot_Calling_the_Kettle_Black_T-Shirt.gif

But yes, we should ban fossil fuels. Force people to find a green energy source, or else they will DIE.

The pollution from those things actually serve a purpose other than personal pleasure (transport and energy). The technology isn't in place to quit using them, so we make do. Smokers have loads of ways to quit.

Pot_Calling_the_Kettle_Black_T-Shirt.gif

I love that picture. Not gonna thank though, cos Oxigen has been one of the least self centred throughout this thread.