NEurope
chairdriver

Save A Life

You're ignoring the fact that UK common law is formed on precedent, though. If this works then it sets a standard to which future cases will be held. That's why it's important.

I kinda agree with Moogle in a way, It's not that I don't care but it's alright for this one case to be highlighted and saved by the world's media but what about the millions of others in similar predicaments who have no hope and no petition going for them. Saving the world one person at a time just doesn't cut it for me.

One at a time is better than none at a time, no?

Even if some people do it to feel better about themselves, even if it may not help in the end, even if [insert all other reasons for not signing it here] - why not do it? It literally takes only a few seconds, you lose absolutely nothing by doing it, and it may save somebody's life. There's absolutely no reason not to do it. I think I understand what you're trying to say, Moogle, but I disagree wholeheartedly. I hate this idea that we should feel guilty about being born in a great place because others are not so lucky. Nobody will be saved by us feeling guilty, and we as individuals won't be able to change much. Only the big players in the game of the world will be able to have a large effect on its grotesqueries. But we can do what little we're able to, such as signing petitions, donating to causes etc. - i.e. supporting those big players.

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

Even if some people do it to feel better about themselves, even if it may not help in the end, even if [insert all other reasons for not signing it here] - why not do it? It literally takes only a few seconds, you lose absolutely nothing by doing it, and it may save somebody's life. There's absolutely no reason not to do it. I think I understand what you're trying to say, Moogle, but I disagree wholeheartedly. I hate this idea that we should feel guilty about being born in a great place because others are not so lucky. Nobody will be saved by us feeling guilty, and we as individuals won't be able to change much. Only the big players in the game of the world will be able to have a large effect on its grotesqueries. But we can do what little we're able to, such as signing petitions, donating to causes etc. - i.e. supporting those big players.

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against people doing charity, no matter what their reasons, I just wish that people would understand and admit why they're doing it.

It doesn't matter why people are doing things, as long as the good things are being done. Sorry to point out about chair and the gay thing, but he's not the only one. When he did the internet thing he did it for AIDS, why? because it strikes a chord for him. When I do charity things I do it for leukaemia, why? Because a lot of my family died of it. We all do everything for personal reasons, I just think it important that people realise this. The same reason people are bumming help for heroes at the minute, not because it's worthy, because it's in the media and it's cool.

Anyway I've been drinking since midday so I'm gonna use that excuse if none of this makes sense (right click spelling check for the win).

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against people doing charity, no matter what their reasons, I just wish that people would understand and admit why they're doing it.

It doesn't matter why people are doing things, as long as the good things are being done.

No, this doesn't make sense.

No, this doesn't make sense.

I mean that there's nothing wrong with people doing good thing so that they feel good about themselves, just that they shouldn't convince themselves that they're doing it purely for the good of humanity.

EDIT: Because all that matters is that good things are being done.

Though the reason I got annoyed with this thing is that i didn't think it would do any good and that t was purely self-serving bullshit.

Why does it matter exactly?

Whyd oes anything matter? Why do we spend out time fribvilously chatting about the mundane necessitites of life.

WHY DO WE DO ANYTHING?

Just...shut the fuck up. [/not really angry]

We get your point/s. No one is actually disagreeing with them. It's your tarring everyone with the self-serving bullshit brush no one appreciates, especially those of us who are fully aware of what you've been rambling on about in this thread, and aren't actually naive shits.

Actually, the reason I supported AIDS is because it gets comparatively little money put into it when compared to other fatal diseases (like Cancer and Malaria) [mostly because people see it as a disease that only affects the dregs of society (Blacks, gays, drug users and whores)].

If I were being self-centered I would have raised money for Help For Heroes. [My family directly benefits from it, my dad having served in Iraq and sent home because of illness. So... *shrugs*.]

Why does anything matter?

Essentially nothing does matter but all actions are relative. You've done work for charity, why did you bother doing that? Do you think anything would be any different if you hadn't?

I mean that there's nothing wrong with people doing good thing so that they feel good about themselves, just that they shouldn't convince themselves that they're doing it purely for the good of humanity.

We could always discuss whether it's even possible to do a perfectly selfless act, but I'm not actually in the mood for it.

Actually, the reason I supported AIDS is because it gets comparatively little money put into it when compared to other fatal diseases (like Cancer and Malaria) [mostly because people see it as a disease that only affects the dregs of society (Blacks, gays, drug users and whores)]

Haven't they found some sort of cure for it or are on the verge of a cure? Fairly certain I heard that they have/are.

[also could be because it's spread by an entirely voluntary act, which people in this country are made fully aware of the risks involved. Although I do agree people in third world countries are a different scenario.]

We get your point/s. No one is actually disagreeing with them. It's your tarring everyone with the self-serving bullshit brush no one appreciates, especially those of us who are fully aware of what you've been rambling on about in this thread, and aren't actually naive shits.

So you don't make a constructive argument against my points, make posts like this:

Not everyone is a selfish cunt at their core.

Just...shut the fuck up.

...and expect me not to argue my point?

Great fucking logic there.

Haven't they found some sort of cure for it or are on the verge of a cure? Fairly certain I heard that they have/are.

[also could be because it's spread by an entirely voluntary act, which people in this country are made fully aware of the risks involved. Although I do agree people in third world countries are a different scenario.]

On the verge of a cure for AIDS? Really, really not. There's tests at the moment, but absolutely nothing concrete at all.

Also, that's kind of a stupid argument. A huge proportion of people carrying the disease have no idea they have it, and therefore pass it on without realising. It's hardly like people are going to voluntarily have sex with an individual carrying HIV.

Edited by Slaggis

...and expect me not to argue my point?

Great fucking logic there.

Well you've been incedibly annoying and nonsensical in this thread. I'd prefer to not beat around the bush.

Well you've been incedibly annoying and nonsensical in this thread. I'd prefer to not beat around the bush.

So rather than explain how I've been nonsensical, you just post some bullshit comments which are obviously gonna provoke an argument?

Edited by MoogleViper

Also, that's kind of a stupid argument. A huge proportion of people carrying the disease have no idea they have it, and therefore pass it on without realising. It's hardly like people are going to voluntarily have sex with an individual carrying HIV.

No, but that's why condoms were invented. Everyone knows the risks involved in unprotected sex.

And I just looked up the cure thing. It's HIV they've possibly cured. My mistake. Link.

So rather than explain how I've been nonsensical, you just post some bullshit comments which are obviously gonna provoke an argument?

The thing I have issue with is your generalisations, and telling everyone exactly WHY they're doing something.

I also said I agree that you are right in that a lot of people do do what you say (even without realising), but I find it incredible that you can't accept someone doing charity for a different reason?

Unless you can but aren't putting that across?

The thing I have issue with is your generalisations, and telling everyone exactly WHY they're doing something.

I also said I agree that you are right in that a lot of people do do what you say (even without realising), but I find it incredible that you can't accept someone doing charity for a different reason?

Unless you can but aren't putting that across?

Yes I can see that, but I don't think this is going anywhere so I think it best to end the discussion.

You're ignoring the fact that UK common law is formed on precedent, though. If this works then it sets a standard to which future cases will be held. That's why it's important.

What precedent would this set?What would the courts change? The test to determine homosexuality or the way people may be deported?

It is down to the discretion of the home office to decide about deportation. I'd like to know what you think would directly change as a result of this compared to many other similar cases that have been processed already through the courts.

Not really interested in the arguing within this thread but anyway I've signed.

So did this broad get stoned or not?

I signed the petition when you made the thread, good cause.