N-Europe

Polaroid

Frank

I've been thinking of buying one of those really old Polaroid cameras for ages. I saw some quality-looking ones from Amazon but I haven't got around to it yet. Plus, film cartridges are ridiculously expensive since they stopped making them. blahr blahr blahr *my opinion* etc.

I have noticed that there are a few Polaroid fans on this site so I want to know what you lot think of the "new" Polaroid?

They just announced a pair of sunglasses that take pictures/video.

A portable printer.

And a new Polaroid camera that's both digital with a printer.

5332888434_9497226ae6_z.jpg

Personally, I think they look fantastic and I love that they're coming into the digital era yet they have kept their tangible nature of a printed photo.

The risk of voyeurism with the glasses will probably be quite risky/ controversial but in general, I love :)

whaddaya think, eh?

I think it's nice that they're trying to bring back old technology, but I imagine these things will be just as expensive as buying an old palaroid and buying the film.

Plus I'm an old camera fan, I'd buy an old barbie decorated polaroid like I used to mess with over a shiny black one anyday. Just because it needs to feel old for it to be old technology..(it made better sense in my head I assure you.)

Haha, I get you ;)

I've thought about how pricey this is going to be also.

As an "amateur" photographer or just someone who dabbles in photography I really want it! :weep:

Polaroid, for me, is the symbol of photography and I'll probably get it if it's under €400...hopefully.

I similarly love it as it's old...yet new. Paradox!! :o

The glasses just seem pointless to me. Aiming a camera by pointing your face at it is just clumsy and needlessly awkward.

The whole thing of Polaroid doesn't really interest me to be honest. I don't see the point in having tonnes of tiny photos lying around, other than novelty value. If a photo is good enough to warrant a print, it's worth taking my time, editing it if needed and printing it properly IMO.

Also, instant Polaroids came out so people could see the results straight away. Most cameras have a screen on the back now so Polaroid offers nothing new apart from having physical prints. But most people share photos on FaceBook or whatever now so physical prints aren't really needed.

That's just me though, I'd need to see more about the new ones to make a form a proper opinion. It all depends on the quality of the camera and printer really.

I do like them for the instant fun, but the only real purpose I've ever thought of for a Polaroid is if you meant a famous person and would like to try and get an autographed/personalised message photo of you with them.

As Goafer says, novelty wise, if your creating a pin board of fun with friends or something it would look nice.

I love having photos, I have a decent amount plastered about my walls in my room, I just like having something there rather than a digital image, yes, we could go on about how a slr could and does the same thing, but instant palaroids and grabbing another camera, going down to jessops or boots to get them printed? Priceless.

I love the old forms of photography, I just can't help it. :D

Some choice quotes from Polaroids website:

Superb Print Quality: The GL10 Instant Mobile Printer uses ZINK's second-generation thermal technology, delivering image quality that rivals a photo-lab.

I'm sorry, but no. There's no way that a $150 printer can rival a £2000 plus printer, with generations of research and feedback from professional companies behind it. Also, if they're going to make such a bold statement, at least back it up with DPI figures and the like.

Intended to be just as much everyday fashion accessories as innovative imaging tools,

That's me officially not interested.

Plus I couldn't find a single reference to resolutions (both the MP of the camera or the DPI of the printer) anywhere. That to me just makes them seem like a gimmick/fashion accessory.

I love the old forms of photography, I just can't help it. :D

Oh so do I. I've still got my film camera that I used for my college course. I just find that doing something the hard way (processing film, using enlargers for film or using Photoshop to perfect an image for digital) is far more rewarding than just point, shoot, print.

I know there are times when I just want quick pictures of me and friends, but to me those don't need to be printed. FaceBook sharing is adequate to me.

I guess it's just because I actually enjoy the editing of photos. To me the best part of taking a photo is the editing.

I probably sound like a massive photography snob now, but meh, I am. In all seriousness though, I have no beef with the Polaroids, they're just not for me.

You do have it as a career, you can be as snobby as you wish.

Because for me it's only a hobby, I like being able to collect old cameras, I like the film and the dodgy prints you receive and you'd probably only get one decent print out of 20 odd, if not more. I like that, I like laughing at how bad they are. For me I think it's quite good to re-produce this technology for those who don't really know about old cameras/prints etc, but it all seems a bit of a fashion statement as it's being produced with lady gaga attached to the label.

I don't see the point of buying a new piece of technology just for the sake of it, when there's already decent items around, like the iphone, that has a new one popping out every six months, argh!

Slightly off-topic, but would you mind sharing what editing software you use, Goafer, when you edit your pictures? Recently I've just been using whatever I find on Google and I'd love to know as you're pictures are always edited so annoyingly good :p

P.S. I was pretty annoyed also that I couldn't find any stats for this new software such as mega pixels etc. :(

Slightly off-topic, but would you mind sharing what editing software you use, Goafer, when you edit your pictures? Recently I've just been using whatever I find on Google and I'd love to know as you're pictures are always edited so annoyingly good :p

Thanks! I use Photoshop CS5, although any software with levels adjustment and a crop tool will do. That's all I ever really do to them anyway.

At work we use CS2. It's essentially the same thing. Come to think of it, I can't think of a single essential tool/feature they've added between the two versions, which is pretty bad considering they're three generations apart.