N-Europe

PS3 + PSP Root Keys Leaked

Debug Mode

But you're missing the point that it's almost certainly for the greater good, and as a feature, yes it was niche, and no, I don't think people are seriously that concerned about it. It's just a consumer melodrama about rights.

To be frank, your toaster analogy was turd anyway. If we're going to stick with the toaster though, the problem is more along the lines of 'damn, we left a carbon monoxide diode in there that after a lot of toasting could kill both our custom and business partners'.

I wouldn't have had to raise this point if you'd done it the proper way, we've always know the PS3 was comparable to TEH BARBECUE!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZk7eJZUEIGtvmbjQt3WbcLInlYz0AdMOQaOdkQNs8TFXbTbOLMg

But it was meant to be terrible to parallel the absurdity that was the decision D=

To be fair, analogies just wont work very well in this situation admittedly. It's pretty unique situation, you know what the opposing sides are like, but you just can't compare it to any thing very well.

Frankly I just see no need for the PS3 to be an open platform. The PC exists for that: you can cram parts into a cereal box and have it stream HD media around your house if you're so inclined. I've more understanding for hacking handheld devices as they're naturally a more bespoke form factor, but even then there's hardware like the Pandora or GP2X that are sold as open platforms.

When markets are already catered for, what's the point in cracking closed hardware? Is it really worth this? It's farcical to suggest that every pirated copy of a game is a lost sale, but more people illegally downloaded Alan Wake than bought the game and the 360 is a relative faff to crack. The industry is already risk averse as it is given the rise of production costs and reliance on the blockbuster model, the last thing we need is something to exacerbate the situation.

I'm not saying there aren't advantages to cracking closed hardware, clearly there are. But for me they're ultimately selfish reasons, and not worth the cost to a hobby which I love.

There's a lot of text in this thread and I've maxed out my reading word count for the day, so can someone just give it to me straight...

Will this allow me to region free the Blu-ray player on the PS3?

Edited by Guy

Well I see it as a problem that will be leading to the eventual 'One console plays all'. The exclusives are putting off consumers.

Many people, especially now, don't want to fork out for every console, so they pick one. (heck, it seems to be 2 now this generation considering the Wii's different approach) Although it's definitely not a benefit considering the loss still made on PS3's, people are going to look more than ever for value for their money and the average consumer these days wants a more open system (hence the prevailing and awareness of the term 'Jailbreak', especially on Apple handheld devices).

It's just a damn shame that most people will use it to pirate rather than use it for creative purposes.

There's a lot of text in this thread and I've maxed out my reading word count for the day, so can someone just give it to my straight...

Will this allow me to region free the Blu-ray player on the PS3?

I imagine almost definitely. The PS3 is fully compromised and Sony simply cannot patch this. All it will take is waiting for some one to create an eboot or custom update to the bluray playback feature.

So the guys who actually hacked it put up a big description of how they did it. I bet Geohot watched that video and then posted the keys because he wants attention and because he wants to be seen as the one who hacked it as a way of finally defeating the evil Sony for what they did.

Also did people see that news last week? Amazing how it all comes down to some idiot writing a random number generator which just returns the number 4 all the time. All of that effort put into making the ps3 unhackable and then an epic cryptography/programming fail gets it cracked so completely, it's mind-numbing. Like when they had a clock which thought a leap year was every second year. Seems to be a lot of retards working amongst the masters there.

I think some people are missing the point of why people want to hack a PS3. Some people just like to tinker with things, understand how they work and then customise things. That's just what they enjoy. I enjoy taking things apart and finding out how they work, I just do it with a screwdriver instead. I imagine if I knew the first thing about software, I'd probably enjoy modifying it.

And there are some pretty good things to come from these tinkerers and their homebrew:

Xbox Media Centre: Came out long before any consoles supported movies etc.

Indie Games: Basically homebrew games with blessing from Microsoft/Sony etc.

Comic Readers: The first ones were homebrew.

Unreleased Games: Propeller Arena on the DC springs to mind.

The way I see it, homebrew games just allow talented people who don't have the funds or know how to get a licence to create games/software.

And I don't care about piracy. I don't do it myself, although I used to back when I was at school and had no income. I don't see Sony or Microsoft going bankrupt over it.

So the guys who actually hacked it put up a big description of how they did it. I bet Geohot watched that video and then posted the keys because he wants attention and because he wants to be seen as the one who hacked it as a way of finally defeating the evil Sony for what they did.

Also did people see that news last week? Amazing how it all comes down to some idiot writing a random number generator which just returns the number 4 all the time. All of that effort put into making the ps3 unhackable and then an epic cryptography/programming fail gets it cracked so completely, it's mind-numbing. Like when they had a clock which thought a leap year was every second year. Seems to be a lot of retards working amongst the masters there.

Ah thanks for posting this, I couldn't be arsed. Most I touched upon was distinguishing the fact that the keys leaked yesterday was by a completely different guy and not associated with the European hacking group that held a presentation last week.

But yeah, there was a quote I saw some where, I think it was /v/ that said:

"It's like playing the toughest RPG ever, you've been going on guess work, very minimal direction as to where your going and the puzzles are just insane.

But you get to the final boss and he dies in one hit"