NEurope

Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon travel around the north reviewing resturants for The Observer food.

cine-the-trip-review-tiff.jpg

Anyone watching? I love it.

Watched the first two eps and I've loved it all so far. From Coogan's "countryside" music choice to the relentless tabletop impressions, it's just great stuff. because you know that they're two real-life friends improvising/performing it adds to the detail, it adds to the banter. And what banter! It's a chucklesome tirade of wit and fun...

I hear this is a psuedo-sequel to something they did together before, set on... a cruise, I think? I totally missed that and regret doing so.

Wonderful, confident stuff. Isn't it curious how the best Brit comedy seems to be from the 'previous' generation? Harry and Paul, Armstrong and Miller and these guys. The BBC has done well.

This is a perfect example of what British comedy does best.

It's subtle and not a lot happens but you don't get bored watching and though I didn't laugh out loud, I was entertained for the whole half hour. I liked in the second episode where they were comparing acting skills and impressions but kept drinking wine half way through them :laughing:

Who is better, Coogan or Brydon? Vote now. I am a big Rob Brydon fan but Coogan is nearly as good (better in some ways though).

Rob Brydons impressions are far better IMO, but Coogan is just as funny.

The Michael Caine bit in the first episode was brilliant.

I hear this is a psuedo-sequel to something they did together before, set on... a cruise, I think? I totally missed that and regret doing so.

Yeah, I don't know how I missed that either, as I'm a huge fan of Steve Coogan and Russell Brand.

Wonderful, confident stuff. Isn't it curious how the best Brit comedy seems to be from the 'previous' generation? Harry and Paul, Armstrong and Miller and these guys. The BBC has done well.

Check out Bellamy's People if you haven't. With Paul Whitehouse, Charlie Higson and Simon Day, it's basically The Fast Show for modern times.

Who is better, Coogan or Brydon? Vote now. I am a big Rob Brydon fan but Coogan is nearly as good (better in some ways though).

Rob Brydon's impressions are better (apart from Roger Moore) and I'd say he is better overall in this programme, but nothing beats Coogan as Partridge.

OK... The Trip. I like it, it's growing on me. The scenery is beautiful and it's enjoyable to watch these two comic actors. My favourite line last night:

"Jack Lemon didn't win an Oscar until he was 48..."

"He'd been a movie star for 20 f***ing years!"

Coogan confidently doing Richard Gere was brilliant. It isn't even anything like what Richard Gere does but it was still so fucking funny.

Having ever seen only a handful of films, the hilarity of their impressions remained sadly unappreciated... I've never seen James Bond. Or anything starring Al Pacino. But I did enjoy their discussion about cosmetic surgery. And yeast allergies.

Did anyone think Monday's episode (Episode 4) was hilarious? From the Alan Partridge fan at the beginning to the bit where Brydon impersonated Partridge.

Brydon (as Partridge): "Lyn, I told you to bring crampons!"

Coogan: "Yeah. I would quote your stuff. If I knew it."

What a putdown!

Last episode was tonight. Fantastic series. I definitely thought this was the best episode too.

I thought it was a massively enjoyable series, thanks to the stunning scenery, very subtle humour throughout and immense likeability of the two leads. It's quite something that Steve Coogan has been on TV for 20 years and people still like him, when you think of the backlash there has been towards other comedians/comedy actors.

Loved it.