NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CoolFunkMan

Best, cheapest internet deals?

As some of you may already know, I'll be moving out soon. However, this means I'll need to sort out an internet connection.

I'm looking for a service that's good, realiable, cheap and preferably has unlimited usage, without the need of a phone line. Any one have any recommendations?

I'm moving to Bearwood, near Birmingham if that helps.

Thanks if anyone can help!

Unless I'm mistaken, there are only two choices for cable:

Virgin Media and BT Infinity

(You'll need to find the "Or without a Virgin phone line" for the true Virgin prices, and they don't mention what installation costs are).

Thanks for those links Cube. :) I'm liking the look of BT Infinity, although it says "You'll need a BT line", which I assume means a phone line. I can't seem to find the option without one either. That, or I'm blind. :heh:

Thanks for those links Cube. :) I'm liking the look of BT Infinity, although it says "You'll need a BT line", which I assume means a phone line. I can't seem to find the option without one either. That, or I'm blind. :heh:

you need a phone line to have any broadband internet connection....

you need a phone line to have any broadband internet connection....

You shouldn't need one for cable.

You shouldn't need one for cable.

Those were the two I'd recommend as well, you can get a few others.

I would warn though that BOTH have hidden pricing and it can get quite tricky, so it might mean you might just have to get a phone line, it can get quite expensive.

Also Virgin media are shit and the internet is nigh on unusable most of the time in some areas. Depends on the area, it's incredibly hit and miss.

You can easily pay less for DSL even if you have line rental. The only reason I can see for not wanting a phone line is if the property has never had one installed, which could cost about £130.

Otherwise you could get Tesco broadband for about £17 inc. line rental, similar prices with plusnet, Be and O2. And don't forget Quidco. Seriously, I am majorly disappointed by the people who ignore me about quidco, you could be saving a heap of cash!

I also recently heard that you can get VirginMedia without getting a phone line(as it is cable it doesn't even run through the phone line, the cable comes up from the street and runs in as co-axial) and in all my experience, they've been really good. I live in a 20Mb area and on a recent speedtest.net I got 17Mbps which is admittedly the best I've ever seen, but I hear with most things running over the BT lines you won't get anywhere near the speeds they promise, averaging out at 2Mbps, though I have nothing concrete to back this up right now and could totally be lying. Also, whilst they have 'traffic management' their advertised policy of traffic management seems rather good, and they have no download limits outside of it. I do believe if you go over the limits set in the traffic management, they simply throttle you to 75% for like 6 hours or something.

I had Virgin Media without a phone line when I was in a student house in Sheffield with five other people. I think it was £18 for 10Mbps back then. It was so shocking that every now and then I (secretly) turned on MAC filtering with only my stuff enabled so I could actually do something important. Like play CoD4.

Sign in to follow this