NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Tellyn

PS3 won't work on HDMI

Just bought a PS3, and I've been using it for a couple of days through an AV cable, which works fine. A colleague gave me a third-party HDMI cable to use for it, and upon trying to connect it, I found that it won't work. The TV recognises that something's plugged in since the HDMI slot becomes available to switch over to, but it tells me that there's no signal.

I've tried this with the AV cable plugged in and without, changed the settings about when the console's been on, tried the 5-second reset method (it says there's an HDMI device connected, asks me if I want to change, yet nothing shows up when I change over to HDMI apart from a "No signal" message), just about everything possible. I think a few people have been having this problem since the PS3 launch, but I can't seem to find a clear solution for it.

The TV is a 47" LG (product code 47LD450), couple of months old. Thanks in advance for any help!

Some HDMI cables just don't work unfortunately. Whilst it may be your TV (I'm not an expert on the issue) I'd advise you just to get a standard one from eBay, which you can easily find sub-£5.

Is the 5-second reset thing where you switch it on by holding the power button for 5 seconds? That resets the video output and would be the only thing I could suggest.

If all fails you could always ring Sony. Their customer care is pretty good.

I got an HDMI cable from Amazon for about £2 with delivery. It lasted about 9 months, now it only flickers when plugged in.

I got mine for 97p off Amazon about a year ago, never had one problem with it.

*Touches all the wood in the forest*

Try the 5 second reset as suggested by Daft. I had the same problem but mine was originally set up for a full 1080i tv which broke & the replacement tv was 720. I had the same problem as you where it seemed to recognise something there but wouldn't display the PS3 so i could change it's settings.

Just hold the start button till it beeps twice then let go & it resets it for any display. If this doesn't work then it must be the cable. ( Does it still work with the AV cable? )

Some HDMI cables are just old... they should all work in theory but in actuality some just don't seem to work at all and you'll probably find that if you buy one that's recent then it'll just work.

HDMI cables have versions like software updates I believe e.g 1.3 etc, when it came to getting a HDMI cable for my PS3 I went and bought not the most expensive but one of the newer HDMI cables at the time for about £7? or something...

Never had a problem with it.

You can check out everything related to the revisions that have been made to the cable over the years here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_comparison

For instance apaprently you need a HDMI cable that's version 1.4 for it to produce 3D... providing you have the necessary equipment too of course I assume.

Edited by S.C.G

Sign in to follow this