NEurope
Dan_Dare

Janelle Monae

Right, here we go.

WOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHHH!

:yay::yay::yay:

---

OK that kind of does the trick.

I am, of course, trying to sum up just how deliriously exciting and dynamic the brilliant Janelle Monae is. who, you ask? Well, peasant, I'll tell you. She's an RnB singer from Atlanta and protegé of Outkast's Big Boi and is, frankly, the single coolest and interesting artist of the year. She has an amazing mix of jazz, funk, hip hop and big band mixed in with songwriting so sharp you could shave with it (but not your danglies. watch out!) and that's nothing to say of her live show.

Unbelievable stuff.

Edited by Dan_Dare

Oh I've been waiting for album to come out. I forgot after a month or so.

EDIT: Ok, just listened to it. Will need lots more listens for it all to stick, but the album gives you an overall sense that what you just heard is a true artistic acheivement. You person singing Tightrope sounds nothing like the person singing BaBopByeYa (in a good way).

It's brill. Reminded me of Prince's best moments, and probably lots of other stuff I'm not as aware of. But no, it's brilliant. BaBopByeYa really blew me away, really classic sounding jazz/blues (I have no idea how to actually class it) ending, with a gorgeous epic vocal, unlike loads on the album.

And Mushrooms and Roses. :heart: And Wondaland.

I need to hear it again.

Edited by Paj!

Cold War is really, really good! :D Unsure what to classify it as, but it definitely sounds great. :)

Tightrope doesn't do much for me, though. It's a decent song, but it's not really my style.

Listen to the entire album...it's an experience (to say the least). Every song is different to the next.

Oh I'm in love with her. I was gonna be seeing her live but it clashes with a previous engagement. I hope she gets big - this album is perfect and I hope it becomes a game changer.

EDIT I saw the Tightrope performance. I don't like how that sounds as much as in the official video, which is also funky in it's own right:

Edited by Hamishmash

Genuinely stunning, will be picking up her album sometime soon for sure. :)

Yeah she's wicked. lawd knows how they do half that stuff, it's amazing. She's so cool too. That tux and the hair are just brilliant and she's absolutely gorgeous. Win!

Yeah she's wicked. lawd knows how they do half that stuff, it's amazing. She's so cool too. That tux and the hair are just brilliant and she's absolutely gorgeous. Win!

I hope she stays that way, it's a good thing for her! It suits her music perfectly too.

Thank you, clicked on this topic just out of curiosity, then I realized, i know the name. It was the artist I was looking for after hearing a track on the radio. The announced her name, but I didn't know how to spell it, so I was left none the wiser ;).

Anyway, now I know, and although I can't find my original note with the track I was looking for, I found it anyway, it's on her album (no video):

I'll check out the rest of her album album, though I've got the feeling this will be my favourite.

Finally bought her album.

It's just...

*lies on a bed*

A triumph. Is there a prize for best thing of the year?

Hmmz. Just found out she's in The Netherlands today.. I would have loved to see her, but I don't have any money, and it's sold out anyway. But anyway, perhaps I can give you people the heads-up as she's performing in the UK in the next few days.

[tour dates]

^ *sigh* So that's now the 4th gig I've found out is happening in London the ONE WEEK I choose to go back to Scotland. I wish I were on my deathbed.

Just found this whilst going through some Outkast stuff on Spotify. I like it, nice early example of her work.

Yeah, you can download her "pilot album" The Audition and it has got some gems on it.

I've seen her live twice since I last posted in this thread. She's amazing - and she'll be at Glastonbury festival this year so I cant wait. :D

The fake breakdown during the video just ruined it for me as she then tried to pretend she was singing after shattering the illusion.

If I wasn't told it was her I would've assumed it was Rhianna/other RnB woman.

Cold War, was an alright song. I'll give the other songs a listen later :)

The fake breakdown during the video just ruined it for me as she then tried to pretend she was singing after shattering the illusion.

Cold War, was an alright song. I'll give the other songs a listen later :)

She is not another RnB woman. She's said publicly she want to reinvent what "black women in music" are expected to produce, and her music has so much more depth to it than they do. (I also realise music is one of the hardest things to debate because you either like a song or don't and it's hard to say why :P)

ALSO GUYS!

Here is my recording of when I saw her live first time. She's incredible live (my video is short 10 second segments from a few of her songs because my battery was low, but the sounds is still really good :) )

Edited by Hamishmash

One listen to her album will tell you/anyone she isn't just another "RnB woman". :nono:

I don't really understand this. Both in that she sounds completely different, and that "RnB woman" isn't exactly a negative thing, since one can name so many that stun.

I didn't realise that was her on Call the Law. I love that song.