Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Speed cameras

MoogleViper

So it looks like speed cameras may be disappearing from our roads.

Oxfordshire is poised to lose its speed cameras after the county council approved £13m of cuts, including road safety funding.

Council leaders want to save £600,000 from their road safety budget - money which would have been given to the Thames Valley Road Safety Partnership.

The partnership operates the county's 72 fixed and 89 mobile camera sites.

Last week it said if the council backed the cuts, the cameras would be withdrawn by the end of the month.

'Immediate effect'

At the time, the partnership said the cut equated to a 71% drop in its income from the council and enforcement at mobile sites would cease "with immediate effect".

The council backed the cuts at a meeting on 20 July. The full council then ratified the vote on Tuesday.

While cameras generate revenue from fines, the road safety partnership said any money went back to central government through the courts.

A spokesman said last week that the county council was merely passing on cuts imposed by central government.

In July last year, Swindon Borough Council became the first English local authority to abandon speed cameras, but Wiltshire Police vowed to continue using mobile cameras.

Source:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-10780574

What do people think of this? Personally I think speed cameras are a good thing in built up areas and near schools etc. I hate them on the motorway though. That's what motorways are built for. They should try to cut down on middle laners rather than people speeding. As well as stopping bad driving in general.

Outside school and the like I'm all for it. No excuse whatsoever for speeding in areas like that - though I think it's more a problem that the people that do it in that situation are total idiots - punishments should be harsher. Dual carriage-ways, motorways and the like should be free from though I'd rather see more police out there stopping the morons rather than the speeders.

I've never been done by one, luckily my car has the most incredible brakes.

I don't have a strong opinion either way to be honest. I've never been a fan of them though. Everyone wanders over the speed limit once in a while, not necessarily intentionally either. I think quite a few people have been caught out on quiet roads accidentally doing 5-10mph over and I think that's the problem with speed cameras, they don't take into account circumstances.

On the other hand, I think a lot of people don't like cameras because it's forcing them to obey the law and people just don't like being told what to do.

In short, I don't care. I know where the fixed cameras and likely police camping grounds are round my parts and I have the satnav to tell me where the fixed ones are elsewhere. I'm safe-ish (I don't speed much anyway).