N-Europe

Laptop overheating/cooling stands

Happenstance

Right, ive got a problem at the moment with my laptop overheating, mostly when playing games.

Im planning on opening it up in a bit and cleaning out all the dust I can find and then buying one of those cooling stands.

Anyway my actual question is do any of you guys use a cooling stand already on your laptop and if so which would you recommend getting?

I've not used a cooling stand, but I have had a problem with a previous laptop.

I ignored the problem of the laptop getting really, really hot. It also didn't help that it had one tiny fan on the bottom of the machine. Over the course of just over a year, the heat damaged and destroyed the motherboard, rending the laptop (Acer) useless. So having a really hot laptop over a long period of time is a bad idea.

Luckily my new one (a Sony) has a brilliant (yet bizarrely quiet) fan - the laptop itself gets mildly warm, but the heat coming out of the fan could be used as a heater.

Does your friend use their laptop for playing games at all? I was reading some reviews on the one you suggested and most are good but a few people brought up the point that the fan isnt really powerful enough to help when doing something more taxing to the laptop like playing a game.

Does your friend use their laptop for playing games at all? I was reading some reviews on the one you suggested and most are good but a few people brought up the point that the fan isnt really powerful enough to help when doing something more taxing to the laptop like playing a game.

She doesn't, but she uses a lot of adobe and such like that on her mac a lot of the time, her mac overheats regardless, so I imagine its good for those who game rather than use high spec programmes.

I just use a normal stand with my MacBook Pro. I still have heat issues, so I use a utility to force the fan to always run at 3000rpm or higher. The Graphics card still overheats causing random artifacts, but the model I have is known to have that problem.