NEurope
Happenstance

Green Lantern

Green Lantern is without a doubt my favourite DC hero. Batman is good but gets so unbelievably stale. Otherwise I'm pretty much a Marvel guy through and through.

I am more of a Marvel guy but over the past few months I have been reading a lot more DC than I used to and enjoying it.

I dunno why I'm so uninterested in Green Lantern. Probably because it's like..just space stuff. And I've always preferred space-themed stuff when it has some major counter. Like Alien being about normal people in space, and the ship not being all white and futuristic etc, it being horrible...BSG being something totally unique but set in Space as a frame (like Dan I think said), this big emptiness.

The power of just ignoring the horror of space I think just makes me blase towards GL in general. From my experience, it's all about vast power and just being able to deal with space. I know it's not even all about space, but I link it to that. I prefer GL the individual - and Kyle's ring in particular, as it IIRC had limitations that made it interesting.

I appreciate the concepts, and they're enjoyable in small doses, but it's just too-too much. And I hate how bright it all is. And Guy Gardner's old hair.

I've not read any of the comics outside Blackest Night, but I don't have a desire to.

The power of just ignoring the horror of space I think just makes me blase towards GL in general. From my experience, it's all about vast power and just being able to deal with space.

Like the depths of the unchartered sectors and what horrors lie within them?

Oh wait thats constantly touched on and now there's an entire GL comic about that subject. *Rolls eyes*

No. I knew that's what it sounded like.

I mean like actual human horror. And fragility. Space isn't so scary when you wield a power ring...

It's not an argument. What do you think I'm arguing?

I just am turned off by the concept of it. I wasn't debating whether it's good or not, I've never read it (properly)...

Yeah Paj as much as it pains me to admit it- Rez is right and you're talking balls. Green lantern is full of the dark side of space.

I wasn't trying to say it wasn't... *lies on floor*

I just can't bear the thought of like 1500 flying people in neon green zipping around talking about stuff I don't care about. I wasn't trying to make definitive statements - just my impressions of it from what I've read. Not trying to convince anyone of anything. :hmm:

But then maybe you feel how I feel when Happenstance says he's not interested in Daredevil. :p

When the live-action Green Lantern film hits theaters next summer, audiences will not only be introduced to the character Hal Jordan (portrayed by Ryan Reynolds), but his "support staff" of alien Lantern Corps members who help him learn the ways of patrolling the universe. The most important three being Thaal Sinestro, Hal's mentor, Kilowog, his drill instructor, and Tomar-Re, who has been dubbed by the film's production department as Hal's 'spiritual guide.'

According to DC comics mythology: Tomar-Re was a scientist on the planet Xudar before joining the Green Lantern Corps. He became a pivotal member of the Corps, training new members and serving in the Honor Guard. He was close friends with Abin Sur, Green Lantern of neighboring sector 2814 and was the first Lantern Corps member to meet his replacement, Hal Jordan.

15001L.jpg

15002L.jpg

Tomar's most famous mission while serving in the Corps dealt with the planet Krypton. Krypton, a planet in Sector 2813, was growing increasingly unstable. It was due to explode, caused by internal pressures deep inside the planet's core. Tomar-Re sought to use a rare compound called Stellarium to absorb some of the tectonic pressure, thus saving the Kryptonians. He gathered the compound, and was en route to Krypton when a yellow solar flare blinded him, and forced him to drop the stellarium. He quickly recovered, but discovered he was blind. He gathered what little stellarium he could without his sight, and proceeded towards Krypton. He was closing in when his vision started to clear. The first thing he saw upon his sight returning was Krypton exploding. The Guardians of the Universe recovered Tomar and brought him back to Oa, where he healed and rested.

For more details about this pieces and it's place in the film, just click HERE.

Source - Comicbookmovie.com

Sweet :)

Really liking the Corpsmen they've picked out- they're some of the most interesting.

It has already been revealed that the entire 3,600 Green Lantern Corps members who patrol the similarly numbered sectors of the universe will cameo in next summer's live action superhero adaptation, Green Lantern. To top it off, at least two dozen alien Lanterns will have center stage roles. Here's a first look a several that could be a part of that group:

15082l1.jpg

15083l1.jpg

15084l1.jpg

15085l1.jpg

15086l1.jpg

15087l1.jpg

15088l1.jpg

Source - Comicbookmovie.com

Its amazing just how far theyve taken this with regards to the rest of the corps.

Im looking forward to seeing some proper finished images with CGI effects though as at the moment they still look a bit like toys.

Quite a contrast isn't there!...

G'Hu has a cool Predator esque vibe... Apros on the other hand looks like an Onion! :D

I'm still waiting for Arisia and Katma Tui! Although they're fairly "main" aren't they? They might be more than just background characters, or saved for future films.

Under what scenario are we likely to see all this characters?... will it basically be something like the Jedi Council which they've all gathered at.

So technically all 3,600 are in the film, but too small to really give any real impression... apart from a few close-ups of characters cheering and what not.

I think its possibly going to be like that with some of the more well known characters possibly taking part in Hals training or a mission.

I reckon there must be some kind of boot camp sequence. Green Lanterns are cops, not Super Heroes, so it'd make sense to have the ensemble largely made of rookie Lanterns to Train alongside Hal.

Kiliwog, Salaak and Bzzd are the most likely to be 'main' characters. Kiliwog is the Lantern's Drill Sergeant so he has to be in a fair bit, and Salaak is the most senior Lantern in The Corps. Bzzd is partner to Mogo, the living planet so I imagine if they include Mogo as a location, Bzzd will have a fairly large part in any sequence there.

Isamot is, I think, the partner to Abin Sur, Hal's predecessor who passes on the ring. He's also likely to be a proper character.

Then you have Sinestro, obviously.

A lot of characters. The rest will, i think, be background.

Isamot is faily new isnt he? I thought he got brought in when the corps was rebuilt.

I think Boodika may play a bigger role as well.

oh yeah he is isn't he....hang on i have a thing about this...

right, yeah Iwas wrong. I thought abin's partner was a lizard too but he's a bird kinda guy called Tomar. Carry on!

Well doesn't Boodikka also have a massive perm in the comics, yet is bald here?

They love the feeling of a shiny bald head.