NEurope
darkjak

E3 wii speculation thread 2010 edition

And Cammie, Reggie, Iwata and Miyamoto come out on stage. Behind on the screen Wii Music 2 title comes up. Then all start laughing and wanking on the faces of everyone on the front row...

I knew it!

What are your feelings at the prospect of a Retro made DK game? I'm apprehensive.

The same as yourself in some ways, but I'd rather we had DK games than nothing. The universe Rare created was rich, full of character and full of classic music. It seems crazy not to at some point revisit the franchise in a 2D format at least.

Either way, the DKC universe will return one day and with Nintendo brimming with creativity and inventive ideas I'm not so sure if they would be the best developers to create a DK title - Jungle Beat whilst brilliant just didn't have that darker tone that Rare gave DK.

Retro could create that tone in a heartbeat. Time will tell.

I see Iwata, Miyamoto and co have been spotted driving around LA ahead of E3. :laughing:

Nintendo_staff.gif

Edited by Wii

The thing that distanced the SNES games from platformers of a similar nature was the atmosphere. Yes the controls, ideas, and level design were fantastic but it was the atmosphere, sometimes haunting, that set it apart. It's not just the music but the visual direction, the pacing. And if the Prime series showed us anything its that retro can do this. So I am quite optimistic.

Retro could create that tone in a heartbeat. Time will tell.

I was glad to see DK Jet drew upon the DKC universe.

My apprehension comes from the fact that its Retro Studios that could be making a DK game. We could end up with some dark, moody, first person viner of a game instead of something bright and crazy that Rare had us accustomed to.

I don't think this has been posted here.. but GoNintendo quoted several tweets by Peer Schneider from IGN regarding the new game by Retro Studios..

We've all heard about the rumor of Retro working on a new Donkey Kong game, but is it the real deal? Well, IGN is the one that put forth the rumor, and now one of their staffers is pushing forth with more teases. Peer Schneider from IGN has made these Tweets today...

Will Nintendo fans go ape over Retro's new game?

Don't read too much into my tweet. I just figured people might go bananas over Retro's next game. ;)

I hope Retro's new game will barrel me over.

On top of all that, a supposed source that has delivered on Retro information in the past has claimed that this Donkey Kong title is the real deal.

It's a bit more complicated than what IGN has revealed... they've been working on stuff for a long time. I've known about this particular project since early 2006. It's cool.

Take it as you will, but in just a couple days, we'll know the full truth! Thanks to Product084 for the heads up!

Make of that what you will..

I was glad to see DK Jet drew upon the DKC universe.

My apprehension comes from the fact that its Retro Studios that could be making a DK game. We could end up with some dark, moody, first person viner of a game instead of something bright and crazy that Rare had us accustomed to.

So you expect metroid prime but Samus instead of Donkey Kong? The scope of your imagination astounds me. :)

Retro won't make a balls out of this, and considering the mediocre games( bar jungle beat) since donkey kong 64, I'd be willing to let them go mad at it without complaint. I really want donkey back up there with mario and link in importance.

Cranky Kong FPS it is then...

With the artists at Retro I'm sure they can turn their hands to most challenges.

I'd rather Nintendo just gave them their scifi titles and just let them go all out on starfox.

May be a 3DS launch title but if IGN have known about this since 2006 that wouldnt make sense.

Either way, not long to go.

I think it's unwise judging a potential DK game from Retro based on the Prime games themselves. I think we should focus on the fact that they took a franchise, did something completely original with it and kicked major butt in doing so. It shows what they're capable of.

I'm just glad to finally hear something from Retro. They've been quiet for so long, I'm sure whatever they're doing will be great.

Cranky Kong FPS it is then...

With the artists at Retro I'm sure they can turn their hands to most challenges.

I'd rather Nintendo just gave them their scifi titles and just let them go all out on starfox.

May be a 3DS launch title but if IGN have known about this since 2006 that wouldnt make sense.

Either way, not long to go.

Oooh, Retro Star Fox ... *drool*

Oooh, Retro Star Fox ... *drool*

A bit beneath them don't you think..

A treasure starfox *drools*

I think it's unwise judging a potential DK game from Retro based on the Prime games themselves. I think we should focus on the fact that they took a franchise, did something completely original with it and kicked major butt in doing so. It shows what they're capable of.

They took an excellent 2d game, super metroid and made a fantastic 3d version

Now can they do it with donkey kong country 2 :)

Edited by mcj metroid
Automerged Doublepost

Tbh, having such a 'talented' studio make 3 Prime games was quite a shock. Maybe it was because Nintendo put a lot of time into helping Retro on the first Prime.

It will be interesting to see if Retro can turn their Prime success to another title. Only then will they be seen as top developers. I for one hope they have the talent to match the wealth of software that the great software houses seem capable of creating (like Rare did years ago).

Either way. Any DK announcement would be an exciting one and much preferred to Kid Icarus.

You know Miyamoto came on stage a few years ago (someone is going to take that out of context, aren't they?) with a sword and shield?

I believe that he'll take things one step further and come on dressed as Midna. As in completely naked with body paint and the odd hat thing.

So you expect metroid prime but Samus instead of Donkey Kong? The scope of your imagination astounds me. :)

Its Retro Studios imagination that is the unknown quantity here. :heh:

I'm unsure what you mean?

I think he means he wants a Star Fox developed by Treasure.

Not that that's needed, considering they've just done Sin & Punishment 2 - essentially Star Fox on-foot and a hell of a lot more awesome.

While Starfox in its current form may be "A bit beneath them" if Retro did develop a Starfox game, I think they would significantly upgrade the series, and bring it out from beneath them.

Aonuma "Lets make Zelda a classic, core title; no gimmicks, no waggle"

zkk0na.jpg

That video is all kinds of awesome.

Star Fox a bit beneath them? Come one, what kind of elitist attitude is that? Consider what they could do with the franchise!

Yeah, I'm a bit of a Star Fox fanboy. :p

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask us to worship RedShell for another kickass E3 theme.