N-Europe

AL: Artificial Life

Mokong

I'm surprised nobody else made a thread on this yet.

I assume you've heard by now of the Artificial Bacterial Life created by scientists using synthetic genes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100520/sc_nm/us_genes_synthetic

of course the Church isn't happy man is "playing god" :heh:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100520/sc_nm/us_genes_synthetic

What do ye think of it... good idea, bad idea?

Of course there's a number of positives that it be used for such as mentioned in the 1st article to create new fuels (hopefully cheaper too) or to help remove excess CO2 from the atmosphere.

But also potential for danger is ever present such as use for a biological weapon. Or even if while using it for something good like curing cancer they make a mistake and create a plague instead.

Or what if this lifeform were to start evolving? To quote Jurrasic Park, "Life find a way"

My prediction for possible bad outcomes

Plauge ala I Am Legend or T-Virus

Cylon Skin Jobs before Cylon Centurions... else we soon create Centurions who in turn use this new Artificial Lifeform to help them create skinjobs

I'll pretty much always be in favour of science moving forward and this is a massive step. Yeah im sure there will be things that could go wrong but thats been the case with nearly all discoveries.

Anyway, I look forward to working under our new synthetic masters. May they rule for millenia to come.

I disagree with the term artificial life.

I see Artificial Life more as a aim for computer programming - creating a computer that can think with emotions like we do. Synthetic Life is the biological term for this.

Not that it massively matters, it's still an incredible feat.

I see Artificial Life more as a aim for computer programming - creating a computer that can think with emotions like we do. Synthetic Life is the biological term for this.

Not that it massively matters, it's still an incredible feat.

Agreed on all accounts.