N-Europe

MacBook Woe

Ashley

Lately noticing my Macbook (circa Mid 2007) battery is flying down. I know with any rechargeable battery you're supposed to let them die down every once in a while and I haven't lately but twice today it has run down to zero and I've not been using it that much.

Anyone got any ideas on how (if) to fix it. I'm hoping I won't need a new battery as no doubt that will require a small loan being taken out as its Apple.

Don't think you'll have much luck fixing it, mine went the same way eventually. Do you know how many 'cycles' it's done, and the battery health?

If you need a new one here is a good website for Apple parts Link

No idea. Anyway I could find out?

But cheers for the link. Not too bad. I was expecting at least £100.

Try iStat Pro

It's a dashboard widget, gives you a rundown of everything on your mac, including battery life, the number of cycles you've used battery health etc. Pretty useful.

Oooh thanks for that, I can use that too heh.

How many cycles can a battery go through before it kinda dies? I'm on my second battery now and its health seems to be at 89% with 516 cycles. I very often just keep it plugged in though, as I need it all day. That's probably not good heh... >.>;

I don't think it's that bad. Mine, which is now probably around 4 1/2 years old has 90% health on 512 cycles, and I use it almost exclusively plugged in. When it is unplugged the battery health tends to drop, I assume cause it's so old.

I looked it up a while ago and apple suggest you let your battery run down to 0 once every now and again, I try to do it every month or so and I think that usually helps.

I don't think it's that bad. Mine, which is now probably around 4 1/2 years old has 90% health on 512 cycles, and I use it almost exclusively plugged in. When it is unplugged the battery health tends to drop, I assume cause it's so old.

I looked it up a while ago and apple suggest you let your battery run down to 0 once every now and again, I try to do it every month or so and I think that usually helps.

Haha my battery is only like, a year old. =P

I rarely let it run down to 0 though... I probably should. I don't know enough about all this technical stuff really. I just plug it in whenever it's about to run out (10 minutes left) or I keep it plugged in.

*will try to pay more attention to her battery*

Try iStat Pro

It's a dashboard widget, gives you a rundown of everything on your mac, including battery life, the number of cycles you've used battery health etc. Pretty useful.

Beat me to it there. I have the same widget, it is pretty useful. You can get the number of cycles by going through system profiler as well.

The older batteries should have 80% capacity after about 300 cycles, and the newer ones I think 80% after 500.

It also doesn't matter if it's always plugged in as long as you calibrate it every couple of months. Which is let it drop to 0%, leave it off for 6 hours, then fully charge it and leave it at 100% for 6 hours.