N-Europe

Graphics Card go BOOM! Replacement Recommendations?

Sprout

Greetings to you, N-Europe Tech Boards! I have a problem that I imagine is tech related! Help, if you could provide it, would be highly appreciated.

Basically, my graphics card overheated and I am in need of a new one. Problem is I have no clue about graphics cards whatsoever, so I was hoping to get some advice about what I could/should buy to replace it. If it helps to know, I have an Acer Aspire M3640 PC, and the graphics card I had before it blew up was an Nvidia GeForce 8600GS 512MB. Don't think I need a really powerful card, as I'm not much of a PC gamer, though I do watch/record a lot of video, and when I do play games I'd like them to run smoothly.

Oh, and, err, lets make the max price about £100. Obviously if I could pay less, that would be great. =P

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/512MB-XFX-HD-5670-PCI-E-21-(x16)-4000MHz-GDDR5-GPU-775MHz-400-Cores-DP-DL-DVI-I-HDMI

This would suit you great. £70.48 with VAT, will get power just from the slot and is decently powerful and quite a step up from the 8600GS.

I only checked scan, so it may be available cheaper from Aria or ebuyer. I don't know though.

It's mildly cheaper at aria.

£64.61 inc. VAT That's the web price.

Edited by Nolan

I hear the Ati HD 5750 & 5770 are incredibal value for their money, the 5750 is cheaper, and although I don't know the conversionrate, they go around for 100-130 euros, so they should fit within your budget, just check some price comparison site where you can get them the cheapest.

If you want cheaper, you can go for an HD 5670. If you go any cheaper, you will be able to play videos, but I don't know about the occasional (recent) videogame. In your situation I'd go for the 5670 or 5750, depending on how much you want to spend and how cheap you can get them.

Don't know anything about older cards, can't really find much info on a "8600 GS", an 8600 GTS however, seems to be PCI-E x16, if that's the card you have, than those cards (or any recent card actually) will fit right in. Although, they'll fit in technically, depending on how much room you have there, you might wanna check the actual dimensions ;).

Edit:

You might like [this] as well.

Edited by Sméagol

Hm, well I think I'm going to go with the SAPPHIRE ATI HD 5670 512MB.

Just a quick question though. Is there absolutely any difference between these three lovely examples, other than the box? Does the slightly different packaging imply any differences between them? I noticed the second example had a VGA port on there (though play.com says it has a VGA port too/DVI to VGA adaptor), but other than that, any actual differences to these seemingly (or potentially literally) similar products?

Being that he's not a big gamer I doubt a 5750 would be needed.

Also of note is it makes things a bit more complicated in it's need of a 6 pin power plug.

He set a limit of 100 quid. You always use the whole budget.

Also, all the cards I've seen that need a plug, come with a molex adapter. That, and all modern PSUs have an extra plug

I don't use the whole budget, there isn't much reason to when you can save some money, and get something that will work just as well.

As for the plug, I just meant that the 5670 just gets its power from the PCI slot which simplifies things a bit.