N-Europe

removing DRM off itunes stuff...

flameboy

how can I remove DRM from my itunes purchases? I'm gonna start using the n900 when I get it as my primary music player so need to get my 62 purchased songs onto it somehow! any tips?

Also what alternative online music stores could I start using to download music instead where they are drm free so won't have this problem again!

You can pay to have everything upgraded to DRM free, and slightly higher quality, or you can burn everything to a CD and rip it.

how do you pay to remove it...is that itunes plus stuff? i think some of the stuff is itunes plus in my purchased...i recently bought florence and the machines and i can click on them and create aac version

can i rip it to dvd instead?

Edited by flameboy

New purchases should be DRM free already.

With older stuff you need to actually create an audio CD via iTunes and then rip it. (You WILL lose quality, but may not be able to notice it.)

I think there's something called tunebite that does DRM removal, but that's potentially dodgy for the boards.

New purchases should be DRM free already.

With older stuff you need to actually create an audio CD via iTunes and then rip it. (You WILL lose quality, but may not be able to notice it.)

I think there's something called tunebite that does DRM removal, but that's potentially dodgy for the boards.

How can I check which is and which isn't?! Tried right clicking to see if there was anyway of telling and doesn't seem to be...

A simple way would be to add it to WMP and see if it plays. If it has DRM it won't play.

There is probably a better way than that though... Does iTunes scan through all your purchases when you first try to press the button to remove DRM from your music?

A simple way would be to add it to WMP and see if it plays. If it has DRM it won't play.

There is probably a better way than that though... Does iTunes scan through all your purchases when you first try to press the button to remove DRM from your music?

I dunno not even sure where the button is for removing DRM button is to be honest.

Something to try:

Set your ripping format to MP3. I'm not sure if it'll let you do this on DRM (but you may as well try) stuff but you can right click and convert it. Converting is probably the only thing that iTunes is actually pretty good at.

Go to the iTunes store homepage, on the right hand side should tell you exactly how much songs you have that can be upgraded to DRM free versions (called iTunes +) and how much they will cost. You can tell if the track is DRM'd in iTunes. Right click on any song and go to the Summary tab and look at the top of the listings for Kind. If the song is DRM free it will say Purchased AAC Audio file, if the song is DRM'd; it will say Protected AAC Audio File.

Go to the iTunes store homepage, on the right hand side should tell you exactly how much songs you have that can be upgraded to DRM free versions (called iTunes +) and how much they will cost. You can tell if the track is DRM'd in iTunes. Right click on any song and go to the Summary tab and look at the top of the listings for Kind. If the song is DRM free it will say Purchased AAC Audio file, if the song is DRM'd; it will say Protected AAC Audio File.

cheers mate....

EDIT:

the only things that seem to be protected AAC files are ricky gervias audiobooks so I can live with that woop!

Edited by flameboy

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...