NEurope
Nintendohnut

New iMac, Macbook and Mouse!

There have been some pretty stong rumours that Apple will be updating a number of their products later today

With numerous reports in recent weeks of new hardware releases from Apple and low stocks of a number of current-generation models, Apple watchers have been waiting on edge for new products to make their appearance. Attention has naturally focused on Tuesdays, a frequent day of the week for Apple to release new products, so speculation has been on the increase again today.

Earlier today, Newsweek's Dan Lyons issued a teaser post on his "Fake Steve Jobs" blog claiming that Apple is planning a product release tomorrow and poking fun at Daring Fireball's John Gruber, who has occasionally had accurate inside information just prior to product announcements.

Can't tell you what, obviously. But there's something brewing. Gruber doesn't know about it, but the people we care about are being briefed in advance. Stay close to your Mac or iPhone, and have your credit card ready.

Gruber later responded with a brief post carrying a very lengthy headline listing a multitude of new products possibly on the table for release tomorrow:

- Redesigned plastic MacBooks

- Redesigned "impressive" iMacs

- Mac mini updates, including one based on Mac OS X Server

- Multi-touch "Magic Mouse"

- A multi-touch "trackpad gadget" for desktop Macs

MacRumors has similarly heard whispers over the past few days of new iMacs, MacBooks, and possibly Mac minis scheduled for release tomorrow, but we have been unable to confirm any of the reports.

Source: http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/19/rumors-of-new-apple-hardware-tomorrow-swirling/

This has been spinning around for a while with people suggesting they'll be out 'soon', but them and John Gruber () are now claiming they should be announced later today

So what do people want to see? I also heard a rumour that there will be a new aluminium remote to replace the white plasticy one, that the prices will be lowered slightly, and that there MAY (although it's unlikely) be a chance that a Blu-Ray option will be included in the new iMacs for a greater cost, although it has also been reported that this option was removed shortly before the units went into production.

I personally am looking forward to the redisign, and just seeing what else they include. Let's hope these rumours are true so we see something today, otherwise I'll look like a right old knob.

I'm pretty intrigued by the hinted-at 'magic mouse' - how do you implement touch technology reliably into a mouse? We shall see, I'm sure, but I'm very interested to see it.

I'd love a new mouse. The almost great but ultimately shitty mighty mouse is way overdue an improvement.

I hope a reduced price for mabook pros or something similar. I need a macbook pro.

Crikey, 27 inch iMac and a multi touch mouse. Looks ace. My wallet is getting very very worried.

Yay! I want the magic mouse but £55 is a little pricey for me at the moment. Been missing easily scrolling around webpages ever since the trackball in my mighty went kaput.

Right well I will certainly be getting the new model iMac when I get the funds soon. It's been 4 years since I got my MacBook and it's starting to die, so it'll be nice to finally get a new machine.

Base model 21.5" iMac with new Apple Remote, with Education Discount = £834

Incidentally, I need some info.

I thought that if you bought your computer whilst at University with the Education discount, you get a 3 year warranty on parts and labour. Now I know that isn't apple care as such, but it's a warranty which is enough for me.

Now when I enter the education store and go to personalise my mac, at the bottom there is an option to add applecare for an extra £40 or so.... does that mean that the new deal does not include warranty? Or just that they are offering full applecare instead of just a warranty, at a discounted price? Thanks for the help in advance peeps :)

You can buy it at the end of the first year so don't worry about it for now.

Think I'm gonna put my current 6 month old iMac on Ebay for one of these babies. There outstanding.

Think I'm gonna put my current 6 month old iMac on Ebay for one of these babies. There outstanding.

Hmm... well I think I'll get it either way, but will it be as cheap at the end of the year? It's offering it to me for £43 pounds at the mo for 3 years. Won't it be a lot more expensive at the end of the year?

The new i5 / i7 iMac looks the bomb. £950 for a dual core machine is a bit of a joke, they should at least be i5's across the board.

Hopefully Apple will have updated the Kernel to accommodate the P55 chipsets. Then a i5 hackintosh can run a vanilla kernel :)

I got 3 years Applecare as standard when I bought my ibook.

It's all very nice... but a little too expensive imo. A few months ago you could pick a MBP up off Laskys for less than the price of the new Macbook (they had em as low as £750, i didn't have the cash at the time though). Nearer £700 would be more in line with what i'd be willing to shell out, and that's still allowing for a good £150 "Apple Tax".

Jesus... 6 months. Really? Is that what Apple has done to you, making you feel you need to switch system after only 6 months?

Apple hasn't done anything to me, it's the fact that new iMac is miles better than my current one and if I sell mine it won't cost that much to upgrade.

I'm getting really sick of this forum, everything I seem to post causes controversy.

What are you talking about? I think you've misread my post as a little bit too hostile. I love you and your tidy desk, your evil eyes and cardigan wearing ways.

It's all very nice... but a little too expensive imo. A few months ago you could pick a MBP up off Laskys for less than the price of the new Macbook (they had em as low as £750, i didn't have the cash at the time though). Nearer £700 would be more in line with what i'd be willing to shell out, and that's still allowing for a good £150 "Apple Tax".

You've now gone down the PC route haven't you?

I like the look of the white Macbooks. Looks like they've resolved the crappyness of the old one. My 3 year old Macbook is finally being replaced on Saturday :D Thank you 0% credit HSBC :D

Unsurprisingly the 27" iMac has the ATI 4850 in it. Apple was reported as buying up the extra stock from Newegg.

Ohhh care to explain? I was going to go to HSBC tomorrow for a credit card.

Basically I have a Halifax credit card with £700 still on it, and my 0% interest on purchases runs out next month so I applied for another card to transfer the balance. HSBC card has 0% on balance transfers for 15 months, so I'm buying the Macbook on my Halifax card, transferring it all to the HSBC card when I get it next week and paying it off like normal over the next 6 months or so.

Just bought myself the baseline iMac. Really excited, should be here in a few days. Originally I ordered an Apple remote, but it would have lengthened the delivery time to 2-4 weeks so I cancelled that. I'll buy it when it becomes available later.

I'll post my impressions when it gets here, and try and make a video of some kind if you guys want me to/I can be bothered. Now I just have to wait until Monday! Fingers crossed for it arriving earlier though...