Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

IGN Cube Mailbag article on Revolution HD support

JetSetWilly

Sorry to raise this old chestnut again but has anyone read Matt at IGNs article today with regard to HD support in the Revolution:

http://cube.ign.com/mail/

I'm confused at to what "No HD support" really means. On numerous occaisons in this forum posters have said that developers can code it themselves if they want to. But Matt makes no mention of that option, and surely he would if it were possible?

Surely no HD support means "we're putting in a graphics card that physically can't do it in order to make the console cheaper"?

Maybe I should be asking Matt...

I think we need to wait and see about the whole HD thing. The console will be more than powerful enough to output to HD resolutions. Whether or not it will be a certified HD decoder that can play encrypted HD media is another thing.

from what I remember reading i think that the rev will output in a higher than normal resolution, but it won't be high enough to be classified as HD, what this means in reality maybe that you get a slightly crisper image on a HD tv.

Also I think no HD support means that nintendo will not be coding its games for HD and they will not provide the cable to enable the rev to hook upto a HDI or what ever, socket on the tv, however a third party could provide a cable or nintendo themselves in the future if it decided to change its mind.

• 1 year later...
Right :shakehead

OK, for all you confused people, this is an ancient thread. We now know the Wii is physically unable to output HD resolutions.

well technicly the wii is mentally rather than physicallly unable to output HD resolutions as it is down to the software rather than the hardware and i'm sure someone from nintendo said it may be possible in the future (wouldn't hold my breath though)