NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Grazza

Art Communties

I know there are some budding artists on here, and I was wondering if any of you are on DeviantArt, and if so, what are your thoughts on the site?

I'd like to create a gallery of my drawings, and I've read the T&Cs but would still like some advice. For example, is it better not to use your real name, and are there any hidden drawbacks to putting your drawings on there?

Any help much appreciated.

I'm on Deviantart (Link in sig). It's ok, but it gets frustrating when no one seems to pay attention. I think the problem is that there is so much good stuff on there (and crap stuff by the bucketload) that it's impossible to see it all.

I'm on Deviantart (Link in sig). It's ok, but it gets frustrating when no one seems to pay attention. I think the problem is that there is so much good stuff on there (and crap stuff by the bucketload) that it's impossible to see it all.

Well, your photography is genuinely excellent, and I'm not just saying that.

I'll be completely honest, I signed up earlier and feel a bit stupid for putting in my real name (not my username) and am wondering whether to delete that account before I put any drawings on. I thought there'd be the option not to display it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Was that you that Devwatched me? Your stuff is pretty ace. I quite like the simpleness/blackandwhiteyness (no grey) of it.

It does sometimes feel on DeviantArt like you have to upload your images at the right time of day and just hope people are viewing, otherwise your stuff just wont get noticed. Thats the problem with it being so popular now I guess, still lots of good stuff on there but so much is uploaded everyday that a lot just gets lost.

I can't be arsed using it. And all my art is physical (as in, not digital), so I can't be bothered photographing it well. And as you say, it's not like anyone will really see it.

To be honest I'm not a fan of DeviantArt anymore. I've been on there for years but I've never really enjoyed it much there. The site is confusing, the community is way too big, and if you're not ridiculously good or have a huge fanbase, you won't really get any attention there. Plus there's too much crappy stuff floating around there too.

I've been thinking about taking my art off that site as I really don't go there anymore heh.

As for using your real name, unless you're paranoid about someone stealing your identity or something, I don't see the problem with it. I don't hide my identity online and so far nothing has gone wrong yet. =P

I've never like D_A to me its always been a competition of popularity, if you aren't popular your stuff doesn't get noticed and to me thats not what making geniune good work is about.

I don't tend to use anything to show my work unless somebody asks what I do.

Was that you that Devwatched me? Your stuff is pretty ace. I quite like the simpleness/blackandwhiteyness (no grey) of it.

Thank you. I normally just use pencil, but I inked some as a sort of test. Actually, you've made me think about how to use greyer shading when using ink. Might try that. I love using pencils and always ruin my drawings somewhat when I ink them, but I do like the contrast it provides.

But yes, that was me. I was trying to do a friend request, so I hope that was it.

Love the colour in your photography. I don't know that much about cameras, but I take it you use a polarising filter of some kind?

To the people who feel they're not getting many views, I say this: chin up! We can have an N-Europe community! :) At least on that site you will be with like-minded people. I've had my drawings on Facebook for ages, but Goafer's comment just now is actually the most constructive I've ever had!

But yes, that was me. I was trying to do a friend request, so I hope that was it.

Yeah, Devwatch is the closest thing DA has to friends. If you Devwatch someone it will tell you when they add new stuff.

I don't use any filters on my camera. Just one of the two lenses that came with it and the lovely art of Photoshop. I take pictures in RAW format so they're a lot easier to edit, but that's about it.

Looking at what I assume is your account Grazza I really like your art, as Goafer said there is a nice simpleness to it

Looking at what I assume is your account Grazza I really like your art, as Goafer said there is a nice simpleness to it

Thanks dude. I looked at yours and Eenuh's pages. Yours are more detailed than I'd ever attempt. It looks like you've drawn from observation. Do you like the work of Alex Ross?

Eenuh - very original indeed! Are you a professional illustrator for children's books, because it looks that high standard to me?

Yeah im drawing from other pictures for now as ive never been any good at drawing from my own imagination.

Alex Ross has always been a weird one for me, on the one hand I think he is amazingly talented but on the other I never really get along with his art in comics I read (Apart from one of two stories where it seemed relevant). I do though like the way he draws, getting his friends to pose for photos to then use as a reference for drawings. The problems I have with drawing that might end up being how id have to do it aswell (Although I need to master faces and hair first for that!)

Yeah im drawing from other pictures for now as ive never been any good at drawing from my own imagination.

I use a weird technique, which is looking at professional work, then memorising why it's better than mine. Then, when I next draw, I try to remember the techniques I saw in the professional art, and apply that to mine.

Don't know if that's a good technique or not, but I enjoy it and find it easier than direct observation.

Thanks dude. I looked at yours and Eenuh's pages. Yours are more detailed than I'd ever attempt. It looks like you've drawn from observation. Do you like the work of Alex Ross?

Eenuh - very original indeed! Are you a professional illustrator for children's books, because it looks that high standard to me?

Thanks! Currently I'm still just an art student (doing my Masters this year), but I hope to become a professional illustrator at some point. =)

Also, I should really update my DA page as it's really out of date haha.

I took a look at your page and I like the style you use for your characters. The technique you use to improve is a good one by the way; look at other people's art to get inspired and see what works, then try to apply some of that to your own work.

I was/am on DeviantArt, but I believe I lost my password and can't be bothered to get it back. It pissed me off that the majority of "popular" ones were just point and clicks made in Photoshop.

Sign in to follow this