Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

New Phone? Choices, choices, choices

david.dakota

Its time for an upgrade. I was tempted by the N97, but seems Orange can't sort out some software issues with it. I'm keen to stay with Orange, so its unlikely i'll move networks.

I've been looking at both the Toshiba TG01 which looks impossibly impressive on paper, but seems to faulter for its use of Windows Mobile 6.1 or the HTC Hero which uses Google Android but somehow its looks just don't gel with me (its that ridiculous lip at the bottom).

I'd like a phone with downloadable apps (but i'm not the biggest fan of either iPhone or o2 (the latter discounting the Palm Pre too)) and i'm struggling to find of Windows Mobile has an 'app store'- although someone did mention Windows Live Marketplace.

Does anyone have any experience of either? What are peoples thoughts here? Any other suggestions?

I have an HTC Hero - the "chin" is much subtler than it looks, and makes the phone nice to hold and use as a phone/

As for the software, it's OS is nice 'n' speedy, has lots of nice integration with Facebook and Twitter, and it's got a nicely stocked (almost entirely free) Android Market for apps.

If you run too much stuff (ie Google Maps + several browser windows + a complex game) at once, it'll chug a bit, but as long as you shut stuff when done, it's fine. If it was a bit faster, it would be an iPhone-killer. As it stands, it's an iPhone peer. Oh, and it costs a lot less! :awesome:

I can't recommend it enough, buy it!

As veteran windows mobile and symbian user. GO for the iPhone. Its leagues ahead of anything right now and is the only device with any real software support.

Actually, Android is updated pretty damn regularly.

I have a Nokia 5800 which I really love (and would recommend highly), but if you are app crazy the only decent avenue you have is the iphone. Minimal app support elsewhere!

Actually, on Android, there's getting on for 600 free, non-game Apps alone.

Trust me, get a Hero, they're awesome.

I have an HTC Hero - the "chin" is much subtler than it looks, and makes the phone nice to hold and use as a phone/

As for the software, it's OS is nice 'n' speedy, has lots of nice integration with Facebook and Twitter, and it's got a nicely stocked (almost entirely free) Android Market for apps.

If you run too much stuff (ie Google Maps + several browser windows + a complex game) at once, it'll chug a bit, but as long as you shut stuff when done, it's fine. If it was a bit faster, it would be an iPhone-killer. As it stands, it's an iPhone peer. Oh, and it costs a lot less! :awesome:

I can't recommend it enough, buy it!

I watched a video on Youtube of the phone and the OS and it did look pretty decent. I still don't think it looks as good as the iPhone (aspects were better) but it looked good enough that if I didn't have an iPhone I'd certainly be considering one.

I'd like a phone with downloadable apps (but i'm not the biggest fan of either iPhone or o2 (the latter discounting the Palm Pre too)) and i'm struggling to find of Windows Mobile has an 'app store'- although someone did mention Windows Live Marketplace.

I had a Windows Mobile a few years back and loved it. There's no need for an AppStore as you can find all the Apps online and then just transfer them across.

I think the website I used to use was called Modaco.com or something like that? There were thousands of apps on there free to download and Google brings up loads more.

I'd still recommend an iPhone over a Windows Mobile though to be honest with you. I couldn't live without mine now!

Depends what you're after really. I'm not really into the iPhone and prefer to have a good little camera on hand to snap pics so I recently got the Sony Ericsson C905. Got an 8mp camera, 3G and Wifi.

It's a really good phone. I got £30 per month on o2 with 1000 texts, 400 minutes and unlimited mobile web browsing. You can get a few apps for it but im not into that really (apart from the lightsaber app ^_^). It comes with GPS so I downloaded google maps which is useful when you're lost driving or walking.

Does exactly what I want.... phones, txts, fast web browsing (for my facebook and twitter fix) and takes a brilliant picture. No to mention it's a nice small size and doesnt feel like a lump in your pocket. I love it.

My last 3 phones have been in the Sony Ericsson cybershot range and I've never had any problems with any of them. And I love o2. Offers and deals and pre sale tickets to gigs :)