NEurope
Dante

A Shadow's Tale

Renamed: Lost In Shadow

In 2010, Hudson Entertainment will give gamers a glimpse into Lost In Shadow - a striking vision that follows a shadow of a boy as he attempts to climb around and up a mystical tower. Along the way, players must solve mysteries, puzzles and fight off enemies that try to impede the boy’s progress. Published by Hudson Entertainment, the North and South American publishing arm of HUDSON SOFT, Lost In Shadow will be exclusive to WiiTM.

“Lost In Shadow is different from anything else seen on Wii before - mixing unique platform elements with levels of puzzles into a stylized environment for a beautiful gameplay experience,” said Dai Kudo, director of consumer products at Hudson Entertainment. “The innovative shadow-based gameplay and artistic vision makes Lost In Shadow a truly breakthrough concept in videogames.”

In Lost In Shadow, players are confronted with a mysterious Tower in an alternative world. The Tower is filled with moving shadows yet at the same time, casts a large shadow on everything beneath it. With the help of a winged sylph known as “Spangle,” players can move lights in the foreground to create new shadowy walkways to previously inaccessible areas. Unaffected by gravity while traveling through this medieval landscape, the shadow boy solves mysteries and fights off enemies who stand in his way. The game’s combination of light, shadow, background and foreground creates a unique blend of novel gameplay features, morphing landscapes and artistic visuals.

I really like the look of this. Something about it just seems to grab my attention. :)

That music in the promo is lovely. Yeah, definitely one to look out for.

I like the concept of this game and it looks likely to be a well designed innovative platformer...but unfortunately the idea of playing exlusively as a shadow doesn't compell me much.

It's a shame as it's the core gameplay mechanic but something about the idea of playing as nothing but a shadow seems too dull.

Just found this on Nintendo World Report!

In an interesting alternative to a playable demo, Hudson Soft has created a flash game that mimics the gameplay of their upcoming Wii game Lost In Shadow. The game can be accessed from the "Trial" link on the title's official Japanese website.

So i went to the website, www*hudson*co*jp/kagenotou(replace '*' with '.'), and found... The shortest 'trial' ever. Although, we kinda got some new info about the gameplay, as it seems you control the shadows by moving the butterfly or whatever it is.

What do you think?

I think it's perfectly fine if you post links that just require clicking.

http://www.hudson.co.jp/kagenotou/

Thanks for the link though, it was a short demo but interesting

I'm pretty sure he's a new member. Therefore, he doesn't have enough posts allowing him to add links/urls.

I'm going to try that out in a bit. Just eating my tea first.

I'm pretty sure he's a new member. Therefore, he doesn't have enough posts allowing him to add links/urls.

I'm going to try that out in a bit. Just eating my tea first.

Wait....you mean there is a minimum post count to post links?

mah bad.

Wait....you mean there is a minimum post count to post links?

mah bad.

Yeah. It's to stop these annoying people who sign up trying to advertise their own place.

Linky

Hudson has been quietly working on Lost in Shadow, a creative platformer for Wii where you help a boy’s shadow climb a tower.

Being a shadow, the boy also walks on shadows in the background. Spangle, a sylph, that travels with the boy can flip switches to change light sources, which alter the shadowy platforms. Moving the flying sylph is as easy as pointing the remote.

Why is the boy scaling the tower? Where is the shadow’s substance? Those are mysteries Japan will have answers to on July 22. We have to wait until fall. That’s when Hudson plans to release Lost in Shadow in the States.

I keep thinking this is a WiiWare game... it had the same vibe to it as Lost Winds.

I hope it gets a budget release.

So it's not actually Wiiware? That is strange, it does look like the type of game that would only be made for Wiiware.

ONM rated it this month giving it 73%.

Their main problems with the game were that it gets very repetitive quickly and they think the game would have been better as a Wiiware title.

With ONM reviewing it, it does look like this will indeed be out on the 15th of October then. Strange that Hudson Soft haven't put out a press release making it official but seeing as ONM have reviewed it (and they rarely do import reviews from what I remember) it looks like its happening. Unfortunately, like many Wii games I feel trying to go into a store to buy this may prove to be futile. Getting ridiculously hard to find new Wii games from third parties these days that aren't mini-game collections or child friendly things.

Unfortunately, like many Wii games I feel trying to go into a store to buy this may prove to be futile. Getting ridiculously hard to find new Wii games from third parties these days that aren't mini-game collections or child friendly things.

I think this is one of the reasons why ONM think it should have been a WiiWare game. They said it would probably do alot better on the the WiiWare service than at retail. It would have been alot cheaper to do it that way aswell.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that if it were a WiiWare release then it would sell much better. Really, it's a sad indictment of the state of affairs when it comes to Wii retail release games. It'll no doubt carve out its own niche but will surely fall far short of any expectations Hudson Soft have for the game. I'll be getting it regardless as it looks genuinely interesting.

I do wish, though, that an official statement was made on the release date. GAME/Gamestation/Amazon and such are listing it as out on the 15th but Nintendo, on their European site, have it down for the 8th.

This is supposedly out today. If anyone has managed to get hold of a copy or has seen a copy somewhere, give me a heads up. Neither GAME nor Gamestation had it (not a surprise really as anything third party on the Wii that isn't a party game doesn't seem to be getting stocked) and neither did HMV or ASDAs and these were all local. Just wanting to know if it is actually out there in the wild.

This is supposedly out today. If anyone has managed to get hold of a copy or has seen a copy somewhere, give me a heads up. Neither GAME nor Gamestation had it (not a surprise really as anything third party on the Wii that isn't a party game doesn't seem to be getting stocked) and neither did HMV or ASDAs and these were all local. Just wanting to know if it is actually out there in the wild.

I had a look for this when I was out getting Medal of Honor and neither GAME, Gamestation or HMV had it in stock. Looks like I will have to order it online.

I had a look for this when I was out getting Medal of Honor and neither GAME, Gamestation or HMV had it in stock. Looks like I will have to order it online.

Yeh, I think I'm going to have to do the same. Shopto have it for £24.85 or there abouts with free shipping and they say its in stock so I'll order it on monday or so. Disappointed though as I was looking forward to playing it this weekend.

Meh. Like you guys, I thought A Shadow's Tale had some potential. I'll save my time and money for something else. :hehe: