Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Pro Evo 2010

darksnowman

I agree with pretty much everything Tapedeck says. Not a huge improvement on 2009.

There are a few new teams though, especially in International mode, which is very welcome. Plays exactly the same as '09 with a more fleshed out menu system and a 'team points' thing I don't really understand... Don't think it's really worth the update though.

The game does run in widescreen though, even if the graphics are abysmal.

Hmmm - maybe my TV ain't accepting widescreen mode. Maybe it's forced?

I'm not sure but it's definitely widescreen on mine. Small, inch-wide borders are present on each side, so it's not "true" widescreen, but it's also not stretched from 4:3.

I must admit after playing FIFA 2010 (on Xbox 360) for the past 4-5 weeks it's amazing how much of a step backwards this feels. As some of you may know FIFA '10 features '360 dribbling' which means the players aren't locked to 8-direction movement. I can't believe how much of a difference this makes to the free flowing nature of the game. I know many people on here are Wii only owners and it may be a fairly irrelevant point but it's a massive step forward in the gameplay of football games, one that it's difficult to adjust back from. As good as the Wii controls may be, I think this year's edition of FIFA is the best football game ever made.

Don't think I'm hating on the game though, PES 2010 still plays a solid game of football; with classic controllers it's still the classic PS2-era PES every football fan knows and loves. Only, on the Wii, there is of course Champions Road mode as well as an excellent, deep and comprehensive training mode and of course the option of the Wii-exclusive controls.

Unfortunately, it's just the same old story: Updated squads, a few new additions and exactly the same gameplay as 2008/9. When FIFA is drastically improving every year (okay, so maybe not on the Wii) and PES' next gen big brother going backwards year after year, it's hard to fall in love with PES 2010.

Edited by Nicktendo

Well said Nicktendo. FIFA 10 on the PS3 is great and although the 360 dribbling is great I find that it plays too much like ping-pong in the centre of the field. This plays as slickly and as realistically (to a point) as previous PES games. Shame it is dripping in last-gen garbs.

I have the 2 inch black borders either side of the screen - I was presuming that meant it wasn't true widescreen.

Best thing about this is the revived stamina system - a true step forward for all football games. Makes it more realistic and opens up/changes the game massively.

My one complaint about FIFA '10 is that the ball often gets lost in the middle of the field and it's very difficult to attack or build up play on the wings, leading to many goals being scored in a 1-on-1 situation. But, the mechanics behind FIFA are constantly improving whereas PES has become a bit more stagnant in recent years. I do however appreciate that PES still plays a quality game of football and set-pieces and wing play on PES still wipes the floor with FIFA. The gameplay is certainly more 'arcadey' on PES and it's always more fun in multiplayer. But there are areas in which FIFA is innovating that PES could look to.

It's just immensely frustrating as a football fan to have PES, the 'heart and soul' of football games to have a severely hampered license and, recently, a lack of innovation, maybe even in some respects, a real lack of passion, which there always was in a PES game during the PS2 era. Alternatively, FIFA has got the money, the presentation, the graphics, the licenses and in contrast to recent years, the real motivation for innovation and passion for re-creating the game of football. It seems to me though that Canadian based EA just don't understand the real beauty of football, and this is why FIFA doesn't quite drum up the same emotion, passion and fun that a PES game can.

It's obvious when playing PES that the developers have/had a passion for the sport but have neither the funds (license), skills or the technological know-how to really re-create the game the way that they potentially could. And while the developers at EA are incredibly talented, artistically and technologically they can't programme the game to run like a real game of football and instead end up with similar yearly problems and complaints, despite also listening to the fans and desperately striving towards innovation. The fact that the same age old problems with FIFA, (ping pong in the middle of the park) despite building an excellent new engine for the next-gen consoles, just shows that they don't understand the game enough to make it recreate it in the way Konami can. At least having 2 games the developers can push each other to make a better game, although Konami don't seem to be taking much notice, which is the biggest shame.

Edited by Nicktendo

Some fair points, and yes, being based on the older PES games means it's not going to feature the new mechanics. I do feel though, that playing the game with a classic controller misses the Wii deal. I think the Wii setup offers a completely fresh approach tot the game that many just simply miss out because it looks too complicated. Going back to regular pads on PES 2009 on my PC just feels laborious and strained, and always results in me shouting at the AI. I can't stand having to cycle through a clumsy cursor system to get the player I want. I hate how when I get a good attack going the stupid computer makes the players backpedal at the wrong moment. With the Wii game, though it takes some practice, these problems are not an issue. Plus, the passing is sublime in the Wii game. It's a shame the graphics are so poor. The old PS2 versions didn't look as bad to me, and it lets the side down a bit. They could do better with the Wii version imho, though the latest one does look a little better.

However, I would really urge Wii gamers who get this game to spend some time getting their heads around the Wii's controls. It really makes this a next-gen experience for me.

If I didn't have PES 2009, I would certainly have dived in at £18 :smile: ..but due to the limited amount of change and the fact that I still have plenty to explore in last year's version, I expect to give PES 2010 a miss and hope that there is a radical overhaul planned for next season.

As good as PES 2009 is (and a worthy update of the foundations put down in PES 2008), Konami just can't continue to put out the same game every year :hmm: I know there have only been a few months since the last game so it was obvious nothing much would change in that amount of time. I just feel it may have been more beneficial to the series if they had concentrated their efforts on PES 2011 upon completion of PES 2009 so that it would have had a greater length of time in development..

• 3 weeks later...