NEurope
mcj metroid

That nintendo game you just didn't like

I was stuck at Thardus in Metroid Prime for a while and eventually gave up, I went back to the game yesterday and managed to defeat him. I'm now saved at the beginning of the Phazon Mines. The game is really starting to pick up at this point. I'm really loving it now. Its different enough from Prime 3 that its hard to tell which is better TBH.

I love how arrogance floats around these days. Of course you don't have to show it's your opinion all the time, the fact you put it so bluntly the first time just got on my tits a bit.

Btw Prime 3 is incomparable, nothing other than the controls are better in Corruption, and they weren't even an issue in the first place anyway.

the fact you put it so bluntly the first time just got on my tits a bit.

Well, I guess some people have difficulties accepting that other people think differently.

Anyway, let's drop this. You find Metroid Prime to be the better game, and I find Bioshock to be better. There's nothing more to it than that.

Really? I mean, really? I prefer Bioshock, but I can see why people might prefer Metroid Prime. If you honestly think the gap in public favourability is so huge, I suggest you check out the Metacritic scores for both games. 96% to Bioshock, 97% Metroid Prime. I would say that pretty much puts them on an even keel in terms of what a lot of people thought about the games. Ergo, it's not hard to see why two people would consider either one to be the 'best'.

...please don't ever use metacritic as a bases of fact :).. Yes generally they are reviewed similiary though(prime a bit moreso to be honest).. but metroid prime is about 4 years older. When metroid prime came out it was breathtaking.

I don't expect any spoiled snot nosed kid to appreciate it in the high-def generation but the graphics and sound were top notch at least for consoles...

it was the perfect example of reinventing a franchise that had been dead for a while on consoles.

I'm sorry. I shall have to tag 'I think' to everything in future. Let's try using some common sense; it should be obvious that I am stating an opinion. Just as people who say "Ocarina of Time is the best game ever" are stating opinion, despite the omission of 'I think'.

I love how little common sense floats around these days.

OOT isn't the best game of all time ( and yes I went there)..

I was stuck at Thardus in Metroid Prime for a while and eventually gave up, I went back to the game yesterday and managed to defeat him. I'm now saved at the beginning of the Phazon Mines. The game is really starting to pick up at this point. I'm really loving it now. Its different enough from Prime 3 that its hard to tell which is better TBH.

prime is better and the game gets worse at phazon mines :) So I don't know maybe you feel asleep at the best bits :D

but it's good that you like it...

Btw Prime 3 is incomparable, nothing other than the controls are better in Corruption, and they weren't even an issue in the first place anyway.

I know I know prime's controls were excellent.. Ok they weren't great for multiplayer in echoes 2..which just had the players circling around each other.. but for a FPA they are perfect.

...please don't ever use metacritic as a bases of fact :).. Yes generally they are reviewed similiary though(prime a bit moreso to be honest).. but metroid prime is about 4 years older. When metroid prime came out it was breathtaking.

I don't expect any spoiled snot nosed kid to appreciate it in the high-def generation but the graphics and sound were top notch at least for consoles...

Yeah, because I was using Metacritic as a basis of fact. If I did, then I'd be saying Metroid Prime is the 'better' game. I was pointing out that it's hardly 'funny' (as dwarf found it) to see one game compared to the other; they're both considered amazing games.

I have to say, I've chuckled a little at you trying to tell me to accept games that aren't graphically stunning in this day and age. My favourite games are all over ten years old. What exactly is your point, if you even have one?

Edited by Sheikah

Well the only point I feel is left for me to make is that Metroid Prime is one of those 'special games' something that could be perceived slightly more than a game. I've played Fallout 3, Uncharted and Bioshock this year and they are all outstanding games, but really they don't have the magic of Prime, there's just so much special about it. Also I felt all above three games had too similar an environment throughout (didn't stop them being great though).

Just a quick comparison, it's sort of the same as Mario 64 and the original Sypro, they are both brilliant platformers but one of them stood clearly above the other. And I've already mentioned the opinion thing so lets just tuck that away now.

I'm guessing the so called "best bit" was the Phendrana Drifts? TBH, I liked all the parts I've played besides Phendrana Drifts. And I haven't actually done much in the mine yet, I'm just saved at the first save point in it. The reason I don't really like Phendrana Drifts though, is probably the fact that where I live, we have snow on the ground for nearly half the year. At least the area is designed rather well though, its the closest I've seen in a game to a real sort of snowy area. The ones in most games feel like the designers have never seen snow in their life. So, Retro did a good job, but for me, thats kind of the problem.

I'm guessing the so called "best bit" was the Phendrana Drifts? TBH, I liked all the parts I've played besides Phendrana Drifts. And I haven't actually done much in the mine yet, I'm just saved at the first save point in it. The reason I don't really like Phendrana Drifts though, is probably the fact that where I live, we have snow on the ground for nearly half the year. At least the area is designed rather well though, its the closest I've seen in a game to a real sort of snowy area. The ones in most games feel like the designers have never seen snow in their life. So, Retro did a good job, but for me, thats kind of the problem.

:indeed:It's funny that you say that since Retro is based in Texas or something like that right? Somewhere where snow isn't common at least.

:indeed:It's funny that you say that since Retro is based in Texas or something like that right? Somewhere where snow isn't common at least.

But I would assume they don't just hire staff from Texas. With how well they pulled it off, I would think they must have one designer from the northern states or Canada, or somewhere else that has as much snow.

But I would assume they don't just hire staff from Texas. With how well they pulled it off, I would think they must have one designer from the northern states or Canada, or somewhere else that has as much snow.

I know, but it's still funny since they are based in a state that's snowless. I'm sure people are hired in from a variety of places though.

Yeah, because I was using Metacritic as a basis of fact. If I did, then I'd be saying Metroid Prime is the 'better' game. I was pointing out that it's hardly 'funny' (as dwarf found it) to see one game compared to the other; they're both considered amazing games.

I have to say, I've chuckled a little at you trying to tell me to accept games that aren't graphically stunning in this day and age. My favourite games are all over ten years old. What exactly is your point, if you even have one?

oh god what do you want from me.. here you have it,, I think you have a shit taste in games..

haha

Edited by mcj metroid

Congrats, Emasher. What impresses me about the bosses is that each one teaches you to become a better player. I used to think the final boss was impossible, and I know some people consider the two before it difficult as well. The funny thing is, they can seem impossible at first - you might think you can't beat them even with all the Energy Tanks - then you learn how to dodge their attacks and use the right attack, and you can actually beat them without losing much health at all.

It's also quite neat that there are only a handful of big bosses. Makes them seem more important.

To be honest, each to his own, but I'm surprised people who are good enough to complete the game don't like it much. Like I say, I respect everyone's viewpoint, but the only reason I used to dislike it was I found it overwhelmingly difficult. Now I've fully conquered every aspect of the game ;) - overworld, bosses, ball jumping - I think it's excellent.

It's just a game where you have to rise to the challenge. OK, I do generally prefer games where you get an easier ride, like the 3D Zeldas, but Metroid is about intensity, and I've come to like it! :)

I never got into any of the Pokemon or Animal Crossing games. I'm open still to play them but never got round to buying them.