NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Bit confued here. I dunno why, but I got it in my head that this was out this year, but according to this site, it's not due till next year. Play have it down for this year, but they're the only retailer taking orders for it for this year that I can find. Amazon are taking pre-orders, but it's noticeable that they don't give you a date for release as they do for other pre-orders.

Help! When's it due out?

Edited by K-project

Next year. Hopefully early, considering it's practically finished.

Ah right. So we don't have an accurate date for it then beyond "2010"? Thanks.

Actually I kinda hope they polish it right up to next Christmas, rather than release it in March or something. Something nice about buying a new Mario game at Christmas. :D

Thanks for the speedy reply. I dunno why I thought it was this year!

Next year. Hopefully early, considering it's practically finished.

Practically finished?

Where did you read that?

Sure, it's using the same engine as the original but then I'm sure the Galaxy engine is just an extension of the Sunshine and 64 engine before it - just like the Zelda games use the same basic engine tweaked to it's current needs.

The content is 95% new remember (apparently). And just because the ideas are already in existence, they still have to be implemented.

The fact that the game is being released is good enough for me... even better that it's coming out in 2010. :)

Practically finished?

Where did you read that?

Sure, it's using the same engine as the original but then I'm sure the Galaxy engine is just an extension of the Sunshine and 64 engine before it - just like the Zelda games use the same basic engine tweaked to it's current needs.

The content is 95% new remember (apparently). And just because the ideas are already in existence, they still have to be implemented.

Well Miyamoto said in his E3 roundtable that it was "very, very far along in development", and admitted that it was a case of holding it back until 2010 purely because NSMB Wii is being released this winter.

Practically finished?

Where did you read that?

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/47748/Miyamotos-E3-2009-Roundtable-Live-Updating

Galaxy 2 is far along but they will hold off on release for a year to let Super Mario Bros. Wii have its 15 minutes of fame.

Which, really, makes me cry.

Its not like New Super Mario Bros. Wii wouldn't sell with Mario Galaxy released in the same year, considering how well the first did on the DS. A 2D Mario is nice, but its just not enough. That said, next year is probably going to be as awesome as 2007 and the end of 2006 combined.

I can't wait for Galaxy and you can see why Nintendo don't want to release 2 Mario games at the same time.

I wish they would release a new trailer soon, the first trailer got me so excited.

Im also not that fussed about New Super Mario Bros Wii, the DS version wasn't brilliant and the only real difference in the Wii version is the option to have 4 players - And that isn't even online. Atleast, not as far as I'm aware.

NSMBW is the kind of game that should be online with Wii Speak!

After recently beating the original title this week, i am looking forward to the new title. And hopefully, Miyamoto lives up to his words of this being more for the seasoned/hardcore gamer

Hi all, first post! Registered because of this game! I seriously can't wait for this! I was looking online to see if any new info or vids had been released but it seems not.

Seems pretty similar to the original, but then in my opinion Galaxy 1 is one of the finest games ever made, a total joy to play so am totally excited to get another 100 or so levels! :hehe:

PS: any idea where that theme above came from? Official? Doesn't sound orchestrated at all, like Galaxy 1's music was....?

edit: reading the youtube, it's not official, do'h!

________

VOLCANO DIGITAL VAPORIZER

Edited by Ronnie

Hi all, first post! Registered because of this game! I seriously can't wait for this! I was looking online to see if any new info or vids had been released but it seems not.

Seems pretty similar to the original, but then in my opinion Galaxy 1 is one of the finest games ever made, a total joy to play so am totally excited to get another 100 or so levels! :hehe:

PS: any idea where that theme above came from? Official? Doesn't sound orchestrated at all, like Galaxy 1's music was....?

edit: reading the youtube, it's not official, do'h!

It's true, according to IGN it was a midi-file. This could mean a couple o' things:

1) Koji Kondo was busy working on Zelda orchestrated songs.

2) Koji Kondo wanted to fully focus on the actual music in game and not in the trailer.

3) Koji Kondo was given the task to develope a great midi for this trailer because NINTENDO thinks the fans will love that:laughing:

4) Koji Kondo was all like: 'NO, I'm not feeling like using an orchestra to record tracks anymore....'

My guess is that this trailer had to be put together rather quickly and they didn't really want to put a heavy lotter of effort into a trailer when it comes to music.

All Super Mario Galaxy trailers also had midis, except for one japanese trailer. Even most TV commercials had midi music.

The orchestra recording was done at the end of development.

Also, Mahito Yokota is the real composer behind Galaxy. He was the one who fought to record this with an orchestra till Miyamoto couldn't hear him anymore and just said "Okay". Kondo had mostly a supervisor role and wrote Good Egg Galaxy and Comet Observatory 1/2/3.

I fully expect Galaxy 2 to have an orchestral soundtrack, but this is Nintendo, so you never know. The game was so praised for it's soundtrack that I don't see them using only midis again. If it doesn't I'll be very disappointed after such beautiful music (Gusty Garden:love:). Yokota orchestrated soundtrack or bust.

I think it's pretty obvious Galaxy 2 will have orchestrated. They wouldn't dare go back to MIDI after the success Galaxy 1's music. Something I still believe to be one of the finest game soundtracks around.

________

BOULEVARD C109R

Edited by Ronnie

Making the music at the end of development makes complete sense. Once they'd have completed the stages, I gather they'd present it to the composers who would compose music to best fit the mood and feel of the game.

Films such as The Lord of the Rings have their scores orchestrated when the film is complete, as you say it's easier as they can create music to better fit particular scenes, or in this case levels. The way the music quickens and intensifies when you tilt on one of those giant star balls, that would be hard to do based on beta levels or concept art.

They should get this guy to compose some pieces:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BowieZ

The songs he's composed for (fictional galaxies) humoungous fungus, planet boo and broiler boiler galaxy are superb.

Those are some pretty impressive pieces - he really has captured the style rather well.

well if ye can't tell the different between orchestrated and midi then there shouln't be a problem :D

but yes I blieve it will be. I don't think nintendo would ever take such a massive step backwards..

I hope the extra time they have on thier hands with this development is going into thinking of ideas to differentiate it from the last game. I still may hold off on this for a while but I don't believe in the " if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude.

well if ye can't tell the different between orchestrated and midi then there shouln't be a problem :D

but yes I blieve it will be. I don't think nintendo would ever take such a massive step backwards..

I hope the extra time they have on thier hands with this development is going into thinking of ideas to differentiate it from the last game. I still may hold off on this for a while but I don't believe in the " if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude.

Fair enough, but when you've got a game that's as good as the original was, an extra 100+ levels ain't too shabby :)

________

HONDA CL350

Edited by Ronnie

Fair enough, but when you've got a game that's as good as the original was, an extra 100+ levels ain't too shabby :)

I thought the same about metroid prime but when echoes came and it was more of the same... I dunno I kinda felt..more bored.

and galaxy 2 looks to be even more similiar.

Just hope the magic is there :)