N-Europe

That curve that explains that something can become too real

Noku

Yep.

Doing some crazy assignment for Introduction to the Arts, and I realized that I'm more scared by Realism than by real life.

And so, my question arose: what was the name of that curve again that showed that when something becomes too real, it's scary?

And google gave no answer.

And so posted this here.

And so I pull out my gun!

And I said, if I don't get any answers I'm gonna shoot someo-ooone!!!

Oh boy, oh boy oh boy, way too much time spent in front of the computer today :)

Anybody with ideas?

Yep.

Doing some crazy assignment for Introduction to the Arts, and I realized that I'm more scared by Realism than by real life.

And so, my question arose: what was the name of that curve again that showed that when something becomes too real, it's scary?

And google gave no answer.

And so posted this here.

And so I pull out my gun!

And I said, if I don't get any answers I'm gonna shoot someo-ooone!!!

Oh boy, oh boy oh boy, way too much time spent in front of the computer today :)

Anybody with ideas?

You mean the Uncanny Valley? At least I think you do...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

Yeeeeeep, that's the one :) Suppose this can be applied to paintings as well as to robots. Thanks!

And once again, the internet saves a life.

But the earth just keeps on turning.

I applied it to animation (the likes of The Polar Express), so I'm sure you can apply it to paintings as well. =)

Like when red dwarf hit those pockets of reality (that might not be what they were) and everybody hallucinates that Lister is a lesser model robot than Kryton. And Kryton doesn't look human because everybody got freaked out by the human looking robots so they made the next series look less human (like Kryton.) It was when they were on Starbug so Series 6/7.

Please somebody know what the hell I'm on about.

And This Curve, Is Your Smile

And This Cross, Is Your Heart

And This Line, Is Your Path

Sorry. I have no idea what you're on about, but it sounds interesting.

Rapport.

I instantly thought of the lovely woman in the Red Shoes video when I saw this thread.

Guest Maase

Ah, yes...

The Uncanny Valley

I'm quite familiar with it (Altough I didn't know the name)

I still remember my brother screaming because he saw a little cartoon on the TV.

I remember seeing it some years later, it was something about 2 old man in a park playing chess, it had the creepy vibe, not sure why.

Its probably also why so many are afraid of the London Wax Museum, because they almost look like Humans, and make you feel repuslive of them.

This was an interesting read, thank you, Noku and Eenuh

Like when red dwarf hit those pockets of reality (that might not be what they were) and everybody hallucinates that Lister is a lesser model robot than Kryton. And Kryton doesn't look human because everybody got freaked out by the human looking robots so they made the next series look less human (like Kryton.) It was when they were on Starbug so Series 6/7.

Please somebody know what the hell I'm on about.

Totally with you on that one. Robots that are too "life-like" are scary for their inhuman qualities. Robots that are poor facsimiles are acceptable for how they "try" to be human.

Personally, life-like androids make me want to puke my pants.

That and the fact that THE FIRST ONES HAD RUBBER SKIN AND WE SPOTTED THEM EASY! BUT THIS IS SOMETHING NEW....