NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jasper

The iPhone thread

Decided to do as suggested: open more focused threads about Apple and make sure people don't start shooting each other. Okay, that last thing isn't really up to me.

Anyways, what do you think iPhone 3.0 will be doing? iMovie sounds interesting, as well as the keyboard, MSS and spotlight. What are the rumors?

3.0 sounds amazing. But we sort of know what it will be doing. The main things for me are the MMS stuff. Sounds like you can send anything. The Dictaphone. The landscape on everything. Cut and paste and the options that will now be available for the developers on the apps - sounds great.

I'm assuming there will be a new iPhone alongside the upgraded OS? I just hope for a better camera, would be nice to be able to take really nice pictures with it.

Not too bad then, still seems to be a way behind what you'd expect from other phones nowadays. That's the same as the phone I had a few years ago, it did take good pictures though. Are there any other rumoured features for the new handset?

The 2 main things I want in 3.0 is the ability to send someones contact details via SMS and being able to forward texts to people.

From what I've heard I'm pretty sure both of these things are in it so I'm pleased. :)

Er why has my post vanished?

What posts? The idle spam?

drop it...

Edited by McPhee

WTF Sir Phee

Why couldnt it just be left.. it wasnt realy spam now was it?

Edited by Nintenchris

Well as usual we are being watched closely, and any chance to shut this thread down will be taken. Apple fans are dangerous and should be treated as terrorrists.

I don't think it would be that awesome at all, why would it need to be there in the first place?

We all know Apple - they wn't introduce a keyboard because people want it. They know that in the coming generations they will refine the onscreen keyboard in a fashion that people don't want to go back. That's what Apple does: think ahead. I'm sure Steve is already using an prototype iPhone with a haptic touchscreen or something.

They won't introduce a keyboard. They won't because they're stuborn and they know that if they do, their reputation as a trendsetter will dissappear. Because Apple doesn't like to follow trends, it likes to set them. Macintosh introdued an all-in-one computer with GUI. The Powerbook introduced the design every laptop has now (with palmrests, so you can comfortably type). The iPod was all about simplicity and easy synchronisation. All these things you can't deny are great innovations that are in our products today. Every device maker adopts Apple's ideas after a while (in the nineties all computers were boxes with seperate screens, but now every omputer maker has a competitior to the all-in-one iMac going). Many music players are just now catching up on easy synchronisation with your computer, and Phones are slowly doing that too. The new android 'cupcake' update features an on-screen keyboard, showing that people actually want this feature.

And really, it doesn't annoy me that the keys aren't real on my iPhone. But I could understand that for typing long emails or letters you'de want one. With the bluetooth spec being opened in the next update, I'm sure somebody will get the idea of connecting your bluetooth keyboard to your iPhone for easy typing. It could just be that Apple introduces this feature itself. Now that I think of it, it could well be possible that they design an external keyboard for the iPhone using bluetooth.

There are less rumors but that's mostly because Apple already inserted the features that everyone wants in iPhone 3.0 and announced it already. Now nobody has any real idea where it will go next, but if we know Apple we know they'll show us some nice features soon that'll be innovative or original and usefull. They always seem to find something that nobody had thought of before - let's not forget that everybody goes 'Aw, it's so obvious, why didn't I think of that?' afterwards.

And that concept design: too thick. Steve would never let it pass - it has to be thin. Also, iPhone 4G is sort-of a strange name... I doubt the next iPhone hardware will be branded 4G (since it's actually the third generation device, and 4G won't be avaible untill somewhere in 2010 (I mean the cellullar network '4G')).

Also, I'm sure that Apple will introduce an iPhone with just GSM, EDGE and SMS services that has less hardware feature but runs the same OS. Oh, and the screen will be the same size to keep the App Store project running and have a unified platform that attracts developers. And nobody likes to retool their application for the smaller screen.

Well as usual we are being watched closely, and any chance to shut this thread down will be taken. Apple fans are dangerous and should be treated as terrorrists.

No, it wasn't spam. It was stuff relating to a post i shouldn't have made.

We all know Apple - they wn't introduce a keyboard because people want it. They know that in the coming generations they will refine the onscreen keyboard in a fashion that people don't want to go back. That's what Apple does: think ahead. I'm sure Steve is already using an prototype iPhone with a haptic touchscreen or something.

Haptic touch screens are hardly new or Apple exclusive, the Blackberry Storm did it last year and the Storm 2 will improve on the idea this year. Nokia announced a working prototype at the end of 2007 and Samsung have a haptic model on it's way to market. The tech still won't replace the hardware keyboard though. All it does is add a click to each keystroke, there's still no definition between keys. It also bumps up the bulk of the device (the screen has to move) almost rendering any thickness advantages null and void.

Personally i don't think they should bother. A hardware keyboard is better for typing and it won't take up valuable screen space. If they can work out how to get one in to the iPhone while keeping it thinner than the 1st Gen iPhone then it'd be the sensible way to go.

No, it wasn't spam. It was stuff relating to a post i shouldn't have made.

Haptic touch screens are hardly new or Apple exclusive, the Blackberry Storm did it last year and the Storm 2 will improve on the idea this year. Nokia announced a working prototype at the end of 2007 and Samsung have a haptic model on it's way to market. The tech still won't replace the hardware keyboard though. All it does is add a click to each keystroke, there's still no definition between keys. It also bumps up the bulk of the device (the screen has to move) almost rendering any thickness advantages null and void.

Personally i don't think they should bother. A hardware keyboard is better for typing and it won't take up valuable screen space. If they can work out how to get one in to the iPhone while keeping it thinner than the 1st Gen iPhone then it'd be the sensible way to go.

I know, but I actually meant a screen that can create a true bevel on itself when needed instead of a screen that has a MacBook trackpad underneath. First of all: A hardware keyboard wontt come. They won't bother with it either because it's a pretty good keyboard onscreen. You're probably in the conservative camp. You don't like this new thing because keyboards worked fine on all other fines. Yes, they did work fine - but the future doesn't have a keyboard anymore. You're going to call me an Apple fanatic - but it doesn't have anything to do with that. Apple has made that choice, yes, but if somebody else did it I would still say it's the future.

More and more phones than ever will have no keyboard. It's interesting for consumers: it makes devices less clunky, they don't have to engineer them in, it makes it cheaper. And the regular consumer doesn't have the need for a keyboard: a regular consumer uses his iPhone for calling, short messaging, a little browsing, short quick emails. They don't need to have a keyboard for the little times they use it.

So from a consumer point of view, on-screen keyboards is the way to go. It's also much cooler. Yes, I know it's not really a powerfull argument, but people love a touchscreen to do those things on. A touchscreen is like a multi-functional piece of paper. It can turn into anything, including a keyboard. People want to use touchscreens, and people are happy to type on them.

Now I'm going to make some coffee.

I don't think it would be that awesome at all' date=' why would it need to be there in the first place?[/quote']

I agree with this and a lot of what Jasper is saying. I think the onscreen keyboard works very well on the iPhone and would hate to see a regular keyboard added. I feel like it would be a step back for the device.

I feel with the iPhone, 3.0 software will fix many of the issues, and other than that I just want to see a better camera, and a smoother and faster OS. The iPhone OS is pretty good as it is, but it could still be better.

Actually, I think that WWDC this year won't be iPhone focused. People are expecting a hardware update, but I'm sure it won't be a big one this year because Apple is going for Snow Leopard the end of this year and has to get that out to developers, as well as the possibly new UI ('Marble'). I'll start a thread for MacOS later... When something is finally happening in that area again.

Actually, I think that WWDC this year won't be iPhone focused. People are expecting a hardware update, but I'm sure it won't be a big one this year because Apple is going for Snow Leopard the end of this year and has to get that out to developers, as well as the possibly new UI ('Marble'). I'll start a thread for MacOS later... When something is finally happening in that area again.

Actually I'm pretty sure it is going to be iPhone focused this year again. I signed up for their developer site a few weeks ago so I could download the version of Xcode that works if you have the Safari 4 Beta installed. Anyway, I got a bunch of emails because of this that had a picture of an iPhone telling me to order tickets to the event. From what I've heard, those tend to be quite accurate of what the main focus of the event will be.

Also. for anyone looking for a decent game for the iPhone/iPod Touch, I would recommend trying this free FPS game you can get for it called "Cube". I haven't played the iPhone version, but the original game, and its successor, Cube 2: Sauerbraten, are quite good on Mac/Linux/Windows. I made a thread on all the cube engine games in the PC online board.

Edited by Emasher

Going back to keyboards a bit; I love slidey QWERTYs personally. Have done ever since the Sidekick. But thats personal preference.

And somewhat related; I've asked before (and forgot) how do I put caps lock on the iphone/touch keyboard?

Double tap the shift key! You might have to enable it in the keyboard settings first though.

iPhone details leaked?

hit me

What do you make of that?

Its all stuff I would expect. Nothing in there is really that far fetched. Good chance its either true, or the person made it up, but most of it actually happens, I would think.

Sign in to follow this