NEurope
Cookyman

Split Second

Hmmm still liking the look of this - might tide me over until GT5 eventually comes out.

Between this and blur, Splitsecond is the one that I'm watching the most. Downloaded the demo seemed pretty fun. Will try out Blur next to see which one is worth getting. Split second reminds me a lot of burnout but it's not a bad game. Sense of speed however wasn't reflected very well in the demo.

Edited by Ten10

Has anyone else played the demo?

Even though it has no multiplayer, I prefer it a lot to Blur - the handling and controls are just my style.

The explosions and set-pieces are also much better than I expected. I was expecting a few simple things on each course, but the demo has three huge course-altering explosions, a few other large explosions and loads of little ones so you always have something to be wary of/look forward to.

Me too, this seemed right up my alley. I worry that it might get a bit stale after a while, though. That's my only concern with this game.

I actually got this through the post today and I'm amazed at how early it arrived! Me and my girlfriend have just got round to playing it. It's great fun, even if it's difficult at times, as it's easy to lose your place if you're not careful. I like the way it's presented in the form of a TV show too, it's certainly an interesting concept! It does feel a lot like Burnout though, but then is that a bad thing? I'd easily recommend it!

Edited by CoolFunkMan

Yeah it's awesome :D Got my free copy through (I'll stop emphasising this soon, let me have my moment! :D) on Thursday and have played through 3 episodes so far. It's great, the only issue being the rubber band AI. Aside from that it's brilliant, I love opening a shortcut only to see "DOUBLE WRECK!" appear on your screen as two racers try and get through riiight as it closes. So satisfying :D

It reminds of the first Burnout where they came up with the ideas but didnt have the kind of depth the series has now. They can really go further for the sequels. I like the concept and they look like they have done well.

Beat the game yesterday and loved it. I love how the game managed to keep my attention right to the finale despite the rubber-banding flaws. I thoroughly enjoyed the single player campaign, and the multiplayer is just as good (if not better). I look forward to the inevitable sequel after that final cut scene!

Played this and Blur in HMV today. I always preferred the look of Blur (mainly because it was by the people who did Project Gotham), but this is much better IMO.

Might even pick it up once it's a bit cheaper.

I played the demo today on my 360 to remind me as i left seen it at eurogamer expo way back.

Enjoyed it again, will definatly pick this up at some point... once i start buying games again that is!

More legs than I expected after reading reviews that it was lacking in MP. Has 3 modes, the one aspect that ruins it is no car balancing but if you have the fastest car it's not much of an issue. Honestly, I beat someone with full car rating with mine half full because of strategically placed power plays.

Got this at the weekend and I love it so far. I despise powerup based racing games because you can be racing well and be fucked over by some chump with a weapon, but this works really well. Mainly because the "weapons" appear in front of you, making them easier to dodge. None of the Red/Blue Shell almost certainly hits nonsense. Not that that makes it any easier though, sometimes you have about a second to dodge things. It's a really nice balance.

I think it's the first powerup based racing game where it's more about actual skill rather than the luck of the powerups. I didn't think that was possible to be honest.

I love it.

I bought this because it was £22 on GAME. I must say it is really fun and had the potential to be amazing but it's let down really badly by the rubber-banding issues. It's getting to the point where it's taking the fun out of the game :(. It's literally becoming plain unfair and I don't get why when there must be a way to keep the game challenging without letting the computer opponents essentially cheat. Whenever I take the lead i'll get overtaken pretty much instanteously. This also happens even if you aren't in the lead. What's more annoying is you're not allowed a lead and yet the computer is. I've been trying to do a race where the computer leads by like 6 seconds nearly all the time and so I can't even take him out with a powerplay. I get constantly raped by powerplays from behind not helping matters either. Instead of this why didn't they have some way of the computer activating the odd powerplay from afar if you were too ahead? Almost like a blue shell MK style. That way you could even take out the computer should it get too far ahead. Maybe if half way through building up power you get a green one you can only use on the leader.

It annoys me this much because this game can be so much fun. Activating a bridge crushing powerplay making you leader is so satisfying. Narrowly dodging a train in the face and watching it hit an opponent is awesome. Such a shame it's dogged by such flaws because at this rate it's putting me off continuing.

If you're struggling with one event, I recommend changing cars. That's what usually worked for me, even if I was happy with a car. The Elite car that you unlock is my favourite.

I have been switching cars and it helped to a degree but the car I could possibly win with starts drifting if you get knocked by another car. I'll keep trying because there are moments when it really shines. If there's a sequel I hope this is addressed as I never had that problem with Pure.

Gah! I'm on the fourth episode. I've come first in everything so far and so have the best car possible at this point. I can get first on the detonator (time trail) events yet the races are now actually impossible. My car has good acceleration and speed (there aren't really nay racing alternatives) and can do pretty much perfect laps. Yet when I'm going at full speed other cars can just zoom past me as if I'm staying still. And 1st place somehow gets so far ahead that even the massive power plays won't affect them.

This is the worst form of rubber banding - the type where opponents magically get faster when you're in the top 4, but it doesn't slow them down when they're way ahead.

It seems that the only option is to try really hard to get 3rd on everything and slowly unlock better cars. If that actually helps, that it.

Other than the AI, it's a brilliant game.

Edit: The car I'm using has by far the best speed, the best acceleration and actually has good drift and strength, too. In any balanced game I should definitely have at least a remote chance at winning.

Edit2: Why are the Elite Races much easier than the others?

Edited by Cube

Edit: The car I'm using has by far the best speed, the best acceleration and actually has good drift and strength, too. In any balanced game I should definitely have at least a remote chance at winning

The opponents cars get better as yours does so it really does'nt matter what car you use. Kind of defeats the point really.

I use the one that looks like a Porsche and mentions the engine being at the back or something. It's not great, but it suits me nicely.