Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Carol Thatcher axed from bbc.

Portlett

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are people here actually inspecting wether or not the golliwog resembles the person in question!? Come on! In saying what she did, she just tried to be 'trendy', trying to bust a joke for shits and giggles... Albeit in an OTT and old skool manner.

Because people were defending her by saying "Oh, it's not racist to say someone looks like such and such" as if she was calling him a gollywog because he had an uncanny resemblance to one and not just because he was a 'wog'.

Does anyone know that Enid Blyton had golliwog characters in her books of Noddy, and they were the evil characters that stole his car and caused other mischief.

The term 'wog' also became a racial slur. I mean, heck, I would not want anyone to refer to me as a Golliwog.

And the defence for thatcher is looking a little creaky after reading this:

Carol Thatcher repeatedly described a black tennis player as a golliwog, despite being challenged by those gathered after the filming of a BBC show, sources said last night.

As the BBC announced that it had received more than 2,200 complaints about its decision to sack Thatcher as a contributor to The One Show, it was alleged that she had also used the terms “golliwog frog” and “halfgolliwog” to refer to the player, who is of French-African origin.

The former Prime Minister’s daughter was dropped as a roving reporter for the BBC’s early-evening programme after The Times disclosed that she had caused consternation by using the word “golliwog” at the informal get-together, a week yesterday.

Related Links

* How a chivalrous hero became a symbol of racism

* What is wrong with calling someone a golliwog?

* The worrying G-word is Greenroom

Thatcher’s spokeswoman has said that she used the word as a joke in what she saw as a private conversation, and offered a “fulsome apology” when challenged by the corporation.

Last night, however, sources said that the journalist, who is understood to be leaving the country today for a month-long speaking tour, repeatedly referred to the player as a golliwog. It is claimed that at the gathering of 12 people in the green room, Thatcher, along with Adrian Chiles, the show’s host, and Jo Brand, who had appeared as a guest, talked about the Australian Open tennis tournament.

Thatcher, who had been drinking, her spokeswoman admitted, is alleged to have referred to “the golliwog frog”, thought to be a reference to the French player Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, who has a white French mother and a black Congolese father.

As some rolled their eyes and others challenged Thatcher about her use of the word, she is said to have responded, “well, he’s half-golliwog”, prompting Brand to leave the room in disgust. It is understood that Thatcher then said: “Now I’m in trouble, just like Prince Harry.” The prince apologised after referring to an Asian colleague as “our little Paki friend” on a video.

Baroness Thatcher is understood to be upset. A friend is reported as telling The Daily Telegraph: “Lady Thatcher feels sad for Carol, who has been hurt by all the accusations. But she thinks the whole row is a load of nonsense.”

On BBC2’s Newsnight last night, Will Young, the pop singer, said the BBC panicked in axing Thatcher. “I don’t think it’s the right decision. I feel sorry for the BBC because there’s a culture of timidity,” he said.

The player’s mother, Evelyne Tsonga, said that her son was “deeply hurt and upset”. Mrs Tsonga, a teacher from Coulaines, near Le Mans, in France, said that her son was “absolutely astonished” by the attack.

A statement on The One Show website said that Thatcher’s language “caused instant offence”. It added: “Jo questioned Carol about it at the time but, contrary to some recent press reports, neither she nor Adrian contacted the press.” The BBC had faced a growing backlash over its stance, with Thatcher’s spokeswoman claiming that there was a vendetta against the journalist because of her mother.

Jay Hunt, controller of BBC One, said: “This is not her working in a private space and she was not in the pub with her friends. She was sitting in a BBC green room on BBC premises surrounded by a diverse production team on The One Show speaking to a BBC-booked guest, a BBC-booked celebrity and in the presence of a senior production worker from Comic Relief. In those circumstances she was effectively operating in a workplace.”

Linky Link

Don't think it was outlawed, more like in post-slavery America people were slightly uncomfortable watching white guys with blacked up faces and huge painted-on lips dancing round shouting "Ooooohh lawdy boss, I be da funny negro! Oh been dem workin' dem feilds yes siree, an now ahma do mah funny negro dance for da white mamas and eat me some watermelon, mmm-hmmmm!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minstrel_show

Ah! Thanks. :) That is what I meant but I didn't express it very well!

Very interesting Time Period... it's a shame I got an E in my exam! :p

The problem with these kinds of things is that the meaning put into the words are not always the same. Take another example, the swastika. It's a good luck symbol in many cultures and was long before Hitler snatched it and filled it with negative associations. Should people be allowed to use it today? Many people still only have positive associations with it and may use it likewise, but I imagine many Jews as well as others would feel offended none the less.

• 2 weeks later...
1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!