NEurope
mcj metroid

Nintendo fans over the years.

If There is one thing That I was always curious with nintendo fans that has never changedover the years is for fans of a company that usually release bright and colourful games they yearn for mature and violent..

Of course with this generation the complaint is more on lack of hardcore games But I feel the attitude is still there..A lot of people praise games like house of the dead overkill(just a random exmaple) when we have no idea what it will be like.

This attitude seems to date back to the snes era With the lack of blood in mortal kombat but that was a different story..

The n64 people cried for more mature games and yet the games they got were usually classics.. Why do you want the company you like to turn away from doing the games they are best at? And even third parties to try do a similiar style?

It's very weird I personally love nintendo BECAUSE they're visual style is different, I look forward to games like super mario galaxy and think it's one of the most beautiful games wii or no wii limitations. I don't want all my games to be gritty.

When zack and wiki was close to being released there was constant bitching and moaning about it,not much but people were skepticul. i'm pretty sure if tehre was blood gushing and zack cursed a bit this wouln't have happened.. It seems narrow minded sometimes...When wind waker was unveiled I'll never forget the moaning and there are plenty of games like this that turn out to be better..

It makes me think sometimes that nintendo gamers bascially do want their console to be like a 360 and ps3 but usually look down on 360 and ps3..but mature games are the kind of games those console does better and more.

So I ask why do we yearn for more mature games? Are you happy with nintendo's usual visual style or even what would you like to see nintendo do more of or less of?

Do nintendo fanboys annoy you sometimes?

I know what you mean about many Nintendo fans yearning for more realistic, 'mature' games, and praising an upcoming game that looks 'mature' just because it exists, even when we know nothing about it. The classic example of this that I remember is when the first screenshots of Red Steel appeared, and everyone was gushing about what an amazing, must-buy, AAA game it was going to be. Then it turned out that it wasn't so great.

Personally, though, I really am much more of a fan of bright, colourful and cute games. This doesn't mean they have to be casual or easy - numerous classics from the SNES era shows us this, and I'm currently really enjoying LocoRoco 2 on PSP, which is incredibly hard in some places (BuiBui Fort 3, I'm looking at you!). So whilst many Nintendo fans are calling for them to stop making casual games and do something more mature, I'd rather they just started making more bright, colourful and challenging core games again.

I prefer Nintendo's style. In general.

If the mariok art engine and weapons system etc, *everything* was replaced with gritty courses and beaten up cadillacs, with heard-nosed racers, It wouldn't have half the charm it does.

I prefer Nintendo's style. In general.

If the mariok art engine and weapons system etc, *everything* was replaced with gritty courses and beaten up cadillacs, with heard-nosed racers, It wouldn't have half the charm it does.

That one word says it all really.

I think most Nintendo fans have come to realize that they, Nintendo, have no intention of releasing dark and gritty games - they just want to see what Nintendo could produce if they went down that direction.

Nintendo's key franchise have been in development since the Famicom and as such were designed for the family to enjoy. They had a brief flirtation during the GC era and their wooing of third parties but that's about it. Just because the age of consumers is getting older, it doesn't mean they suddenly crave for the GTAs of this world.

I guess they don't see the point in making titles that a good chunk of their user base won't play. Gamers know what to expect from Nintendo, why disappoint them.

And at the end of the day, regardless of the visuals, it's the gameplay that keeps us coming back and we know they rarely falter in that area.

Nintendo games always have a certain charm to them and I for one hope they never change.

Im another person who likes colourful and quirky games. Great examples are Chibi Robo, DeBlob, Dewys Adventure, Kororinpa and Eledees. Its titles like these that remind me why I love playing games in the first place. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy a good FPS and dark titles but I prefer them to remain on my 360.

Theres definately a place for NIntendo-style games in the market and always will be. I can go back and play Punch-Out or Super Metroid, or Wind Waker or Galaxy years from now and they will still look, feel, and sound great.

On the other hand, id love to see Nintendo's take on other genres of gaming.

Take Capcom for instance. They were built on bold, colorful, bloodless franchises like Mega Man, Street Fighter, Ghouls n Ghosts, Little Nemo, Breath of Fire, Viewtiful Joe, Phoenix Wright and various Disney franchises but they can also excel at games like Resident Evil, DMC, Lost Planet and Dead Rising.

My point is, it would be a shame to say Nintendo should limit itself to family games because id love to see their take on say, a sandbox game or a survival horror. I happen to think they could do something amazing in those genres as well.

I like both. Nintendo has made some great more colourful games, and they've made some great "mature" games. Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 were my favorite games of 2007 and one was from each. Like others have said, it comes down to charm and the feel of the game world. If a game like Mario has it, great, if a more "mature" game has it then great. Over the years Nintendo have made both types of games and they probably will continue to.

Hello, I am new to the forum here. I think my story is a different one but I always was a Playstation fan. I had PS and PS2. After years of playing “more matures” titles I just couldn’t stand it anymore. I get bored with it. No more GTAs and Medal of Honors. I was sick of it! Therefore I choose the Wii this gen. I realised that Wii is all about pure fun. I also like Nintendo’s alternative approche to the visual style. Its my first Nintendo console and I am very happy to have it.

I think it's just a case of wanting it all and that often the grass looks greener on the other side. Would I like Killzone and Halo on the Wii - 'yes', but could I live without Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Mario Kart and all the other Nintendo classics and exclusives that have been and gone - 'no'.

When it comes down to Nintenod get it far more right than they do wrong - we just ask a lot and look for perfection.

Take Capcom for instance. They were built on bold, colorful, bloodless franchises like Mega Man, Street Fighter, Ghouls n Ghosts, Little Nemo, Breath of Fire, Viewtiful Joe, Phoenix Wright and various Disney franchises but they can also excel at games like Resident Evil, DMC, Lost Planet and Dead Rising.

Contradicting yourself, there :wink:

As for the topic at hand, gritty, "realistic" graphics only influence the style and charm of a game. Honestly, that style is better used in survival horrors (where the most realistic something is, the scarier it gets) and simulator racing games (for obvious reasons).

Anything else can be more fun if they use a more colorful, even cartoony style (Timesplitters 2 remains my favourite pure FPS ever partly because of this). And then there're games that use a more bizarre approach to everything, but even that can fit in the same category.

Anyway, I don't mind if Nintendo doesn't usually release "realistic" games (there's still Metroid Prime, and even that is far from realism), but that's okay, because they still make good games, that manage to stand out from the rest.

Street Fighter is bloodless! Its one of the most colorful games ever made

Only a Nintendo game could get a reaction like this.

Still gives me goosebumps

Jesus, that was E3 2004? Man...

Also, Street Fighter II isn't technically bloodless, if you use Blanka and use his biting grab attack. There is visible blood.

Street Fighter is bloodless! Its one of the most colorful games ever made

[ATTACH]2457[/ATTACH]

Yeah, I know SF is not gritty or anything, but a point needed to be proven.

Anyway, out of curiosity, is there any decent fighting game with gritty graphics and dark tones? Besides Mortal Kombat, that is (as it is not decent)

[ATTACH]2457[/ATTACH]

Yeah, I know SF is not gritty or anything, but a point needed to be proven.

Anyway, out of curiosity, is there any decent fighting game with gritty graphics and dark tones? Besides Mortal Kombat, that is (as it is not decent)

Killer Instinct on the SNES. Fucking awesome.

Anyway, I find the Anti-Nintendo fan-people more annoying than the pro-Nintendo ones. Although, at the moment, all this hardcore/casual gamer talk is just getting to the point where the issue is getting more coverage or discussion than the actual games themselves. I think gamer's spend far too much time these days moaning and bitching about what they want or don't want, rather than sitting down and actually playing what is available on the system. I guarantee that if more people actually went out there, took more risks with what they buy, they'd end up feeling more content as gamers.

I love Nintendos style, and gameplay.

Of course what I mean is the old style and gameplay their games used to have.

Always have been a Nintendo fan though i am not so interested in their output since the late GC days.

Now and again some great games come like Mk and Galaxy but otherwise they are very different now.

Killer Instinct on the SNES. Fucking awesome.

Oh, yeah, it used the Rare-style graphics. Yeah, that game was cool.