NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RoadKill

Palm Prē

Palm Prē is a new smartphone from Palm, and it's really fucking awesome.

Here's the 1 hour long keynote of which I've watched a few times: http://downloads.palm.com/ces2.mov

It's a vertical arc slider, and has no date yet announced for gsm, so you probably haven't heard of it yet.

100.jpg

Anyway, the keynote can explain better than anything I can say

I must admit it looks amazing. The ability to multitask, is the bomb. I'm a fan of the iPhone, but this is more advanced with more features. In total its a major win

I'm very intrigued, if it's as good as it seems and a reasonable price i'll seriously consider getting rid of the Xperia.

I must admit it looks amazing. The ability to multitask, is the bomb. I'm a fan of the iPhone, but this is more advanced with more features. In total its a major win

Near the start they have a subtle jab at apple:- "By popular demand, you can actually take the back off and replace the battery!"

Near the start they have a subtle jab at apple:- "By popular demand, you can actually take the back off and replace the battery!"

Lol I havn't seen that bit! I have massive respect for Apple but there are numerous/obvious areas they need to improve on.

I've heard theres serious concerns about battery life. As in, they're putting a really small battery in it.

Small bump. Was just browsing around some forums when i noticed reviews for this handset are out. Maybe something for the people annoyed at the iPhone's pricing?

http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-review

http://gizmodo.com/5277499/palm-pre-review

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20090603/palms-new-pre-takes-on-iphone/

Can't say i know quite what to make of it. The opinion on the OS seems universal, it completely shits all over the iPhone (even after today's update). People are also saying the screen is more responsive and picture quality is a tad higher. On the downside the build quality of the hardware isn't great.

Really hoping this does well in the US, if it has decent App support by the time it hits these shores then it's definitely worth a look!

Out here in December apparently on O2, wonder if they'll overprice this too...

Looks interesting. I'm due for an upgrade in Aug but depending on my sitch I may hold out.

Still interested in the SE X1 too, because it's like a Sidekick :p

Out here in December apparently on O2, wonder if they'll overprice this too...

Looks interesting. I'm due for an upgrade in Aug but depending on my sitch I may hold out.

Still interested in the SE X1 too, because it's like a Sidekick :p

I think i'll be getting one SIM-Free, not liking the way the industry is going with their 24-month contracts and increasing handset prices. Then when my Voda contract expires i'll either take a line rental discount or go SIM-Only.

Of course it all depends on how the 3rd party app situation comes along. If it's not out til December then the yanks will likely have filled it with plenty of useful stuff by then. If not then i guess it's an indication that Palm are done for and that the Prē wouldn't be a smart buy.

Hm, while the OS sounds great (in many respects) I never felt a great need for multi-tasking except during calls which the iPhone has over the Pre. Also it sounds really uncomfortable and I really struggle with those tiny keypads. I struggle with iPhone's onscreen keyboard too, but at least that problem is solved with the (excellent, IMO) prediction system.

It's just a shame that iPhone's 3.0 isn't enough of a detachment from the first two, it still looks the same and feels the same, it's like they're saying "we're so awesome, nothing needs fixing" - which isn't true. I'd say I was torn between the 3GS and the Pre but the Pre is just too far away to win me over... and I have a sneaky suspicion I'll be locked in an 18 month 3GS contract by then....

Sign in to follow this