Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2009

Retro_Link

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually pretty dissapointed, and I imagine certain members of FOTA *cough* Flavio *cough* are too. Toyota seemed fully comminted to a breakaway series going ahead when they spoke to them over the Silverstone weekend, as did a lot of teams for that matter.

And FOTA even had a meeting scheduled for tomorrow to discuss tracks/regs etc...

It's all well and good Spanky stepping down, but we've still got Bernie and his obsession with removing every bit of character and tradition out of the sport and into the hands of Herman Tilke and the East!

Actually, bollocks to this news!

Also... German Grand Prix in Trouble...

Hockenheim loses government backing

Hockenheim's chances of holding the German Grand Prix next season have been dealt a major blow, with the local government refusing to continue to underwrite the loss-making race.

Hockenheim City Council - a 94 per cent shareholder in the track - has voted unanimously to drop the race, according to the Deutsche Presse Agentur, although it is understood that should Bernie Ecclestone be willing to negotiate a cheaper deal, the race could continue in 2010 - the final year of its current F1 contract.

Last year's German Grand Prix at Hockenheim ran at a loss of approaching six million Euros, with the 2010 race forecast to run at a similar deficit.

Ecclestone has written to organisers indicating that he is open to talks over the future of the race. A German event is crucial to a championship that includes Mercedes-Benz and BMW, as well as five German drivers including Sebastian Vettel, whose profile has risen massively in recent months.

The Nurburgring, which alternates the staging of Germany's grand prix with Hockenheim, is already concerned about the financial implications of having to run a race every year, meaning that it is not necessarily able to take over the event on a full-time basis.

Gunther Oettinger, the prime minister of Baden-Wurttemberg - the region in which Hockenheim is located, is planning to meet with Ecclestone in the next month, and is also pushing for funding from the national government. This gives hope that, despite the City Council's decision, Hockenheim could still have an F1 future.

Hockenheim could also be a candidate venue for the FOTA breakaway series, if it goes ahead.

Edited by Retro_Link

What bad news. Eugh. Hockenheim have announced that they made a loss of 1.5 Million Euros from holding the race last year so they'll be no german grand prix next season aswell. I guess that makes space for the Korean GP bernie is so keen on.

I'm sorry FOTA but you're gonna regret this in 5 years time.

I'm sorry FOTA but you're gonna regret this in 5 years time.
And us fans will suffer the most fans through a continuation of astronomic ticket prices, aweful rules, no overtaking and ultimately a rebranding of the sport to...

'Herman Tilke's Middle Eastern Wasteland Procession'. :cry:

And us fans will suffer the most fans through a continuation of astronomic ticket prices, aweful rules, no overtaking and ultimately a rebranding of the sport to...

'Herman Tilke's Middle Eastern Wasteland Procession'. :cry:

I'm looking forward to an Iraqi street race, driving past our British troops, making them proud :D

Branson to Manor, Youtube to US F1?

and why James Allen has become the voice of the press conference...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/f1mole/2009/06/virgin-could-prove-the-manor-b.html

Virgin could prove the Manor born

When Richard Branson announced on Sunday at the British Grand Prix that his Virgin brand would not be continuing to sponsor title favourites Brawn next season, what he did not say was what it would be doing.

Branson told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I suspect next year the price will be astronomical and we may have to look somewhere else with a smaller team."

But the Mole understands things have already gone a lot further than that.

The word on the street is that Branson has already signed a deal with the new Manor team - and that the team will be named after Virgin, which apparently was one of the sticking points in negotiations with Brawn.

For Brawn, this is not brilliant news - they are still looking for the sponsorship that will allow them to compete next year.

But some will also question Virgin's wisdom in abandoning a possible deal with this year's dominant team in favour of a fledgling outfit with no track record.

Manor have been quite successful in the junior categories in recent years, but - as countless other teams have proved in the past - F1 is another matter altogether.

The team have former Simtek team boss and Benetton chief designer Nick Wirth as their technical director, but he has yet to design a competitive F1 car.

US F1

While Virgin secures its place in F1 in 2010, it appears that an another major global brand name will be making its debut in the sport.

The video sharing site YouTube is said to be poised to link up with the new US F1 team, which is being set up by journalist (and former Williams team manager) Peter Windsor and former Ligier technical director Ken Anderson.

Chad Hurley, the co-founder of YouTube, was with Windsor and Anderson in the paddock at Silverstone last weekend, and the Mole is told that the deal is pretty much locked on.

Windsor, who currently works for US channel SpeedTV and British magazine F1 Racing, is the voice you heard on the FIA television interviews with the top three drivers after qualifying and the race - or at least he was until Silverstone.

There, he was replaced by former ITV commentator James Allen, on the basis that it was not appropriate for a future team boss to be conducting interviews with drivers on behalf of the sport's governing body.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8125463.stm

Raikkonen to race in world rally

Former Formula 1 champion Kimi Raikkonen is to compete in the World Rally Championship in his native Finland at the end of the July.

Ferrari's Raikkonen has appeared in three non-championship rallies this season and will be behind the wheel of a Fiat Abarth Grande Punto.

His co-driver, Kaj Lindstrom, said: "The roads used for this rally are so fast but he's very talented."

The rally is staged three weeks before the European Grand Prix in Valencia.

Raikkonen, who won the F1 title in 2007, will be competing against the likes of championship favourites Sebastien Loeb and Mikko Hirvonen.

Event spokesman Simon Long said: "It's superb news for the championship and hugely exciting that he'll be competing at Rally Finland."

Hope there's a way of watching this somewhere.

Are the 1hr Rally highlights you get on 'Dave' from the World Rally?... think they are.

Apparantly Ferrari are set to announce Fernando will be racing for them next season come Monza..i know these rumours have always been around but it's interesting who would leave out of Massa and Kimi if Alonso does come in.

Vettel is apparantly for 2011, so I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of Massa this year and then Kimi the next.

I'd love Vettel at Ferrari simply cos we'd get to hear the German anthem followed by the Italian one....*great memories*

I know these rumours keep circulating, but I honestly can't see either Kimi or Massa being replaced next season. Especially Kimi, as despite it being almost a continuous rumour about him going on to do other things, both he and Stefano have said numerous times this season that Kimi will be one of their drivers next year; and the fact that if there was a breakaway series, Kimi was going to be following the team into whatever they did next, same with Massa.

They've both been doing great this year with a car that's been pretty poor at times, Kimi with a 3rd place podium at Monaco, and Massa with his 4th place at Silverstone.

If one of them were to leave I think you're right Goron it could be Massa, because I believe Luca Di Montezemola personally really likes Kimi, and I'm not sure but Kimi may have a 2010 race contract, and Massa a drive contract, but not sure.

However, I think it's fine to look ar 2011 for Alonso or Vettel or both, as both drivers contracts are up, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Alonso never got his Ferrari drive.

Whilst Kimi and Alonso could be an exciting prospect for 2010, I'm not sure I could ever see Alonso working long term in a team alongside Vettel. Alonso and Kimi respect one another strongly and it could work great for a year; but then surely introducing Vettel into the team would be Hamilton all over again for Alonso.

If Alonso doesn't get his own way he's going to throw a strop and it would seem Vettel's extremely strong minded too, wanting Red Bull to back him pretty much since the start of the season.

I think it may have to be one or the other for Ferrari, and surely Vettel is the better long term prospect.

end rant!

I'd love Vettel at Ferrari simply cos we'd get to hear the German anthem followed by the Italian one....*great memories*

Really? Bad memories for me. Only just getting back in to the sport again. Not that i dislike either party. Just wasnt the sports finest few years in my opinion.

I can totally see Kimi being replaced next year. I don't think as some have been suggesting that "his heart isn't in it" or that he's not trying because it's simply not true, but it's not hard to feel like Kimi might have been counting down the clock on his contract for a while now.

Ferrari meanwhile, no doubt eager to recapture their former Brawn-managed glory days of total world domination, will want Alonso in as soon as they can get him and with Renault not going anywhere especially fast Alonso will be more then happy to oblige. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Kimi stay in F1 for '10, but I'd be even less surprised if he was spending most of his time in a rally car instead.

haha, what a track!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76654

Valencia circuit to reduce seat capacity

The Valencia street circuit is planning to reduce its seat capacity for this year's European Grand Prix.

Last year's event, the first in the Spanish city, had a seat capacity of 112,000, but organisers said on Thursday that there will be reduction of around 35,000 seats, bringing the capacity down to 75,000.

Jorge Martinez Aspar, vice-president of the race's promoters Valmor Sport, said tickets sales had been slower than last year.

He said the row between the FIA and the Formula One Teams' Association was partly to blame for the slow ticket sale.

"It (the row) has slowed things down a lot," Aspar told the EFE news agency. "The only thing I'm hoping for is that the last few months are erased, because there has been people who have talked too much."

Yeah you keep telling yourself that... the fact it's the worst circuit on the calander has nothing to do with it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, James Allen sounds optimistic about Abu Dhabi...

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=James_Allen&id=46277

I’ve always been of the belief that a mix of the classic tracks like Spa and Monza with exciting new venues that really add something is what is called for. F1 must innovate, but not at the expense of its heritage.

Looks like Abu Dhabi is going to be an asset to the championship. Can’t wait to see it in the flesh.

Edited by Retro_Link